The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone Alarm problems -- alternatives?  (Read 4805 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Re: Zone Alarm problems -- alternatives?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 08:41:10 am »

Now I've got a router, but I'd still recommend Sygate (now Kerio Sunbelt).

Thanks, Erin. So far, Kerio Sunbelt seems to be the overwhelming recommendation -- and since it's what I've got, I guess I'll pay the $20 and keep it.

Got a non-techie question, though. I also have a router. Are you saying it provides protection that might make firewalling the computer itself unnecessary?

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: Zone Alarm problems -- alternatives?
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 01:16:01 am »

Just to let folks know, Zone Alarm also appears to be spyware.

See
    http://www.a1-electronics.net/General_Interest/2005/Security_Nov.shtml
    http://groups.google.com/groups/search?lr=&safe=off&q=zonealarm+spyware+dlls&safe=off&qt_s=Search

You can try temporarily turning the Windows machine into Linux by using one of the LiveCD distributions. Some of them let you have your data on a usb drive.

I have Zone alarm.  open it at Overview/ preferences tab/   down at the bottom it has a "share my security settings) button.  Flip it.  Now turn off the automatic update stuff. you are done.  I put my program control/Main/ smart defense on manual. once you do that the "spylike" behavior stops.  I also run a second spyware application once in a while to cross check, not all the spyware applications spot all the spies.  so running 2 good ones (I am not that current on wich those are right now) will cover you at about 99%.

I have found this baord helpful fixing viruses, and with some freebie software that seems good.   chiawaikian.proboards78.com/
go a head and cut and paste I have yet to be able to hotlink to it.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up