The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where and Which PGP  (Read 8030 times)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: Where and Which PGP
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2006, 06:11:03 am »

FYI, storing your PGP keys on a local hard drive is strongly discouraged, since your computer's hard drive is one of the first things to be seized in any kind of raid. If someone gets a hold of a copy of your secret PGP key you are toast.  (your secret key is usually stored along with all your other public PGP keys by default)

That's true, but the secret key file is encrypted with your passphrase. If they use a keyboard logger or other method to sniff that, yes, you're toast, but if they're going to that trouble, you have much worse problems. The truly paranoid use a separate laptop computer, which is never connected to a network and communicates with net-connected machines solely by floppy or flash drive, to do all crypto.

Personally, I consider crypto to be a way to make it a little harder for the feds to intercept my communications. If they really want me, they're gonna get me. By hook or by crook. Especially nowadays, when mere suspicion of wrongdoing is considered authority to steal your stuff (as happened to Richard Celata).
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

tigerenvelopes

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2006, 09:26:49 am »

I've been watching this thread and I'm impressed how helpful and determined everyone has been getting enigmail installed and running on John's machine.

But after seeing how hard it was, I honestly don't understand why y'all aren't working with us to make email encryption easy. Not just for folks here, but for everyone.

(For anyone who missed earlier threads, Tiger Envelopes is a free open source mail encryption package. Its goal is to make private email easy. Whenever it doesn't, we'll not only help you get it up and running, but change whatever we can so the next person doesn't run into the same hassles.)

Ana

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2006, 09:45:39 am »

Update:  All now appears to be well.  Little persnickety things like different email addresses on the key, but I'm now able to communication with my former circle, and even add keys.  I appreciate all the good help.  A lot.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up