The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Where and Which PGP  (Read 8015 times)

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
Re: Where and Which PGP
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2006, 02:01:01 pm »

versions of firefox and thunderbird are 1.8.2

Yeah, I tried to download .xpi files.  Those are the files that are incompatible with firefox.  Wrong files?
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

irv

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2006, 02:04:34 pm »

Yeah, I tried to download .xpi files.  Those are the files that are incompatible with firefox.  Wrong files?

It's a programming error. Firefox tries to load  any .xpi as an extension, and this one isn't meant to work with Firefox.
Try using Thunderbird to install it, or download the file with wget.

Joel

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2006, 02:08:33 pm »

How can I get them with Thunderbird?
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2006, 02:10:52 pm »

Okay. What you need to do is right-click the link in at mozdev and save the enigmail xpi file to your computer. Then, open thunderbird, go to Tools>Extensions. That will open a dialog box where you can choose the enigmail xpi file to install.

Firefox just assumes that if you click a link at the mozdev site, you want to install that extension in firefox, even if it's a thunderbird extension. Kinda dumb.
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2006, 02:17:14 pm »

(Jac's latest probably makes this message unnecessary. Sounds like he's got the easiest solution for your particular problem. Good going, Jac. I wouldn't have caught what you did. But I'm going to post this for the benefit of anybody else who might be interested in trying this triumvirate.)

The latest available version of Thunderbird for Windows is 1.5.0.4 (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/)

The Enigmail file that works with this version of Thunderbird is 0.94.0 (https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/71/)

These two work together. If you have a different version of either, go back and get a different version. Also make sure you've grabbed versions for Windows, not Linux or some other OS. (Easy to do on those open-source sites.) I also experienced a glitch on the Mozilla site that took me to Firefox add-ons when I was trying to go to Thunderbird add-ons. Another possible pitfall.

Be sure to download Enigmail 0.94.0 to your computer, THEN install from T'bird.

The latest version of Firefox is also 1.5.0.4. (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/) so I don't think you can have the versions you state above. Good luck.

Claire

« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 02:19:49 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Joel

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2006, 02:28:44 pm »

The latest version of Firefox is also 1.5.0.4. (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/) so I don't think you can have the versions you state above. Good luck.

[shrugs helplessly] that's what they say...

Okay; Jac's instructions worked perfectly.  I'll fiddle with my keyring and try to send somebody a message.

Thanks loads, guys.  Hopefully that was the only roadblock I'll run into.  I appreciate the help.

Joel

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2006, 03:30:17 pm »

Anyone planning to stand next to me, ever again, should please supply his or her own sign:  :sign5:

Thunderbird is talking to Gnu just fine now.  It seems to work great.  Now I have a follow-up question which I'm absolutely certain is so basic I should blush as I type it. 

Where the hell do I put my keyring so Thunderbird can find it?

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2006, 04:32:24 pm »

Took me a while to find these, so I feel no need to hold up any "I'm with stupid" signs.

I'm writing these instructions for Windows, which is, I think, what you're using.

GnuPG stores its key files, by default, in c:\gnupg. Create that directory if it's not already there.

GnuPG names its key files pubring.gpg and secring.gpg.

PGP stores it's key files, by default, in c:\Documents and Settings\<login>\My Documents\PGP, where <login> is your Window's login name.

PGP names it key files pubring.pkr and secring.skr.

Copy pubring.pkr to c:\gnupg\pubring.gpg.
Copy secring.skr to c:\gnupg\secring.gpg.

That should be all you need to do. Try "gpg --list-keys" in a Windows command line to check it.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2006, 04:35:08 pm »

Oops!  I see you're on Windows --Sorry...
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2006, 05:02:34 pm »

Anyone planning to stand next to me, ever again, should please supply his or her own sign:  :sign5:

Thunderbird is talking to Gnu just fine now.  It seems to work great.  Now I have a follow-up question which I'm absolutely certain is so basic I should blush as I type it. 

Where the hell do I put my keyring so Thunderbird can find it?
Bill's instructions sound about right. As far as Thunderbird is concerned, though, you don't need to tell it anything. Just point Enigmail toward your GnuPG executable (I'm not sure where that is... you may've already done it if you've installed and set up the Enigmail extension), and it will know from there where your keys are.

Good going, Jac. I wouldn't have caught what you did.
Thanks. Really the only reason I did is 'cause I had the same problem when I was setting it up. :laugh:

Believe me... after screwing around with computers for the last 10 years myself, I'm the last person that needs an :sign5: sign. My sign reads:  :doh:
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2006, 06:42:25 pm »

Thanks loads, guys.  Hopefully that was the only roadblock I'll run into.  I appreciate the help.

Well, Jac gets the gold star. I would only have led you on a detour. But this has been useful to me, too. I'll now go back and make sure the instructions on my website are plenty clear on the need to download the .xpi rather than trying to open from the web.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Joel

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2006, 07:11:10 pm »

Yeah, he got me over that hump, for which I'm most grateful.  I still can't get my !@#$% keyring to show up anywhere.  BSC, I did exactly what you said, but...nada.

Once I figure out what boneheaded thing I'm doing wrong...

What the hell was wrong with typewriters, anyway?

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2006, 09:17:08 pm »

Yeah, he got me over that hump, for which I'm most grateful.  I still can't get my !@#$% keyring to show up anywhere.  BSC, I did exactly what you said, but...nada.

Once I figure out what boneheaded thing I'm doing wrong...

We'll get this figured out.

So what exactly happens when you click on "Key Management" in Thunderbird? You're saying nothing -- including your own key -- shows up?

Or does your own key show up, but nobody else's?

I hate to bring up this possibility, Joel. I'm just shooting in the dark here. But is it possible that you didn't save your old PGP keyrings? In that case, all you'd be seeing is the new, empty (but for your own new key) rings GPG created.

Oh, let's hope not. I can't see how or why a new GPG installation would wipe out old PGP keys.

What happens when you do a file search for pubring.*  and secring.* ? Do you find them and if so, where? Are they in the path where T'bird is looking for GPG?

If they're where they should be, have you tried simply closing down T'bird and starting it up again?

What the hell was wrong with typewriters, anyway?

:laugh: Computers sometimes remind me of the virtues of clay tablets, too. But we're stuck with 'em. And really just think how long it would take to get from you to me and back again on clay.

Claire
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:29:00 pm by Claire »

Joel

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2006, 10:50:19 pm »

So what exactly happens when you click on "Key Management" in Thunderbird? You're saying nothing -- including your own key -- shows up?

Nothing whatever shows up in that field.  It's completely blank.

There's a "gnupg" subfolder in the "gnu" folder.  I also opened a c:\gnupg folder.  Put the keyring in both.  I also copied and pasted my "PGPkeys" file into both, just to see if that made any difference.

Didn't.

Screw typewriters, I'm clearly too primitive for them.  I'm going back to cuneiform.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2006, 11:15:59 pm »

So what happens when you do a file search on pubring.* and secring.*? Do you find those specific files? And if so, where?

I'm a little confused when you say you pasted a "PGPKeys" file into GNUpg. pubring and secring are the PGP (and GNUpg) key files. It sounds from your statement as if you might be pasting something else.

Might help to quit beating your head against the problem for a while and get some rest. My suspicion is that something very simple is actually happening here, but it's getting complicated by hours of frustration.

I'll check back in tomorrow & hope that turns out to be the case.

But please do post where you find those two files.

Claire
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:20:14 pm by Claire »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up