The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scaring the straights  (Read 63306 times)

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
Re: Scaring the straights
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2010, 06:31:09 pm »

You are never wrong to do an act of kindness toward a child.  It may not fix anything, or solve any real problems...  but you are never wrong to be kind.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Radio Flyer

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »

You are never wrong to do an act of kindness toward a child.  It may not fix anything, or solve any real problems...  but you are never wrong to be kind.

I would have to agree, the flip side is that I think any person is absolved of any responsibility or "guilt" if they can reasonably guess that their aid will do harm or end up encouraging dangerous ends.

As has been pointed out often charity marks you as a sucker and could be a tactical error that could cost you your possessions or even your life. I had my home robbed by one of the in-laws kids and his punk friends. When I found out I walked over to the in-laws and told them that if their worthless dope smoking punk ever showed up on our place they would never find what was left. For some reason I was the "bad" guy because I just did not blow off thousands of dollars of theft. I turned the punk over to the local sheriff who found out his gang had robbed over 20 homes, I hope he enjoyed prison.

When SHTF this could be a real problem.

krash.landing

« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2010, 08:51:27 pm »

Started reading "One Second After" it's about an EMP attack on the US... I never really contemplated some of the issues that would be at hand... It is a must read book.  I am about 1/2 way through... I have added so many things to my to do list....
Past performance predicts future behavior

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2010, 06:32:04 am »

As has been pointed out often charity marks you as a sucker and could be a tactical error that could cost you your possessions or even your life.

Yeah...............particularly if the state gets involved at some point, and finds out that you're filling other peoples kids heads full of stuff about freedom and liberty.......which is currently a very unpopular subject to TPTWB (the powers that want to be...meaning the swarms of agents sent forth to harrass the people and eat out their substance.........as outlined in the original declaration of independence)
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:37 pm »

Started reading "One Second After" it's about an EMP attack on the US... I never really contemplated some of the issues that would be at hand... It is a must read book.  I am about 1/2 way through... I have added so many things to my to do list....

An excellent read. There seems to be some disagreement whether an EMP attack would take out all automobiles or not, but other than
that point, I think he's right on.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Mr. Bill

« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2010, 01:11:07 pm »

Pardon the very belated reply, but getting back to "scaring the straights"...

...I would love to carry a gun, but we live in Washington state and even though we live in the least populated area I think people would still be afraid. ...

I'm also in Washington state.  Something you might consider is a concealed pistol license.  They are very easy to get here.  Yes, you have to provide a bunch of personal info, and you end up on "The List", and the very idea of a license to exercise a right is offensive... but we've got it a lot better here than in many other states.

I was surprised at how oblivious (or unconcerned) people were when I started carrying concealed.  I was sure that everyone would be staring at the nerdy and obviously heavy little waist pack I was wearing.  Nope.  I guess I look so nerdy that it just went with my persona. ^_^  You should be able to find some way to carry that blends with your own style.

Thanks for some very good posts in this thread.

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2012, 10:42:42 am »

So I guess I'm saying that if you are regularly shocking your neighbors, give at least a bit of thought to changing neighborhoods. Those folks won't be any help at all and, in fact, will be real problems when the chips are down.

I have not stopped thinking about this paragraph since you wrote it.  My kid turns 18 years old this summer.  That's a game changer and opens up many options. I'm visiting Wyoming in August to see what's going on and what it's all about. 

Neither the word television nor the abbreviation TV has been in my vocabulary for years.  It is forever known as the Karaoke monitor even though I don't have a Karaoke machine.  It's really just a Netflix viewer now.

Always look forward to your posts.  I wish you all the best in your endeavors up in Idaho!
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

gaurdduck

« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2012, 07:17:09 pm »

So I guess I'm saying that if you are regularly shocking your neighbors, give at least a bit of thought to changing neighborhoods. Those folks won't be any help at all and, in fact, will be real problems when the chips are down.

I have not stopped thinking about this paragraph since you wrote it.  My kid turns 18 years old this summer.  That's a game changer and opens up many options. I'm visiting Wyoming in August to see what's going on and what it's all about. 

Neither the word television nor the abbreviation TV has been in my vocabulary for years.  It is forever known as the Karaoke monitor even though I don't have a Karaoke machine.  It's really just a Netflix viewer now.

Always look forward to your posts.  I wish you all the best in your endeavors up in Idaho!

People generally think I'm nuts for not owning a TV or knowing what happened on the latest 'reality' show last week. Other than my recent addiction to MLP, I don't watch TV.

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2012, 11:28:16 pm »

Thank you.
There is plenty of room here where there are still gun racks in the pickups with actual rifles in them.  It is imperfect, for sure, but the odds are distinctly better of having people on your side than most places I've been.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

GK

« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2015, 04:57:52 pm »

I always answer 'how many can you SHOOT at a time"? That's what i have, 2. (on hand). One to ccw and one just like it to practice with. That way, the fouling and wear of practice don't go on the carry gun and I need not CARE that it goes onto the practic/spare. :-) Also, if I have to jettison or somehow lose the carry gun, I have a near-instant replacement.

There IS one more, but it's buried and not getting dug up unless shtf.

sovereignbastard

« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2015, 05:15:03 pm »

this could double your odds !

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up