The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Scaring the straights  (Read 62524 times)

Bear

• Curious Bear
Re: Scaring the straights
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2009, 12:44:31 am »

Maybe I'm too much of a softy. I couldn't just let my family starve though.

Actually I was talking about my neighbors, not my family. I don't think any of my extended
family would try to make it up here. Those that make it are welcome, though. I suspect that
they are more likely to regroup around either of my sisters's homes. If it gets really bad, they
will most likely pull back to the big house in the Santa Cruz mountains.

My neighbors... meh... I've tried to talk sense into some of them, gently, and have had
very little success. The one shining exception is the family across the street. When we
gave them home canned salsa made with tomatoes grown from our yard (6,720' MSL)
I think it flipped a switch that much more was possible. I found out about this when
the husband told me that his wife wanted him to build raised beds like I've got.

Most people admire the garden (it's in the front yard, unfortunately), but are unwilling
to work hard enough to make it work for themselves. I did have one person laugh at
me when the first snow killed the potatoes. I thought about explaining that they were
potatoes, and that was quite alright, but I thought it was better to let the idiot think
my garden doesn't work. With most of these folks, I would have no problem telling
them (politely) to take a hike. I think answering the door with Mr. Ruger, or Mr. Remington
would help show my resolve.

With the other folks, I think I can work something out. Either a trade of labor, or
other skills, or just repaying past generosity to us.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2009, 03:43:15 am »

Repaying past generousity.......   Something to remember, if you are scary they will remember scary.  If you are a nice guy, but not to be trifiled with, they will remember that too.  When you are scaring them, how do you do it?  If you are drawing a line in the sand, you get respect. If you are running around going Boo! like some dangerous animal, you get marked.  Important to remember.

Also if you separate yourself from the community, you are going to have to run.  The community will have its own pecking order, and if you are not a part of it......   YOU could be fair game.  The little trades of an egg or a cup of sugar, ot the garden idea and just the simple day to day communication help build a community.  Even Lions form prides for a reason, and humans have always been clannish it is our fall back survival tactic when everything goes to pot.  If you are in an area and find/ place yourself outside the clan, you had better be "the Mad Monk on The Mountain" or be gone.  Simple sociology.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2009, 04:53:00 am »

Also if you separate yourself from the community, you are going to have to run.  The community will have its own pecking order, and if you are not a part of it......   YOU could be fair game.  The little trades of an egg or a cup of sugar, ot the garden idea and just the simple day to day communication help build a community.  Even Lions form prides for a reason, and humans have always been clannish it is our fall back survival tactic when everything goes to pot.  If you are in an area and find/ place yourself outside the clan, you had better be "the Mad Monk on The Mountain" or be gone.  Simple sociology.

How very true.  I have a lot of great neighbors who are always willing to help each other out.  However, I don't think any of them have the prepper mindset.  (One neighbor may, he taught me quite a bit about gardening.)

One interesting observation I had a few weeks ago: My son had a school/family gathering complete with games and free food.  I was amazed at the 'me first' mentality at the food line.  This was on a gorgeous September day, at a fun gathering, with plenty of food to go around.  What would this mass of people look like when it is dark, dreary, and bags of rice only?
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Rarick

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2009, 05:01:45 am »

well, that is also a reason to be "communicating" with your community.   Beter to know NOW than Whenever.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2009, 10:48:51 am »

Repaying past generousity.......   Something to remember, if you are scary they will remember scary.  If you are a nice guy, but not to be trifiled with, they will remember that too.  When you are scaring them, how do you do it?  If you are drawing a line in the sand, you get respect. If you are running around going Boo! like some dangerous animal, you get marked.  Important to remember.

What I had in mind was insisting on some sort of fair trade - bartering for vegetables. When I mentioned 'take a hike'
I was thinking that some might try to play on some imaginary friendship and expect a freebee. That isn't going to fly.

However, I will put my sweat into helping my neighbors build their own gardens, and provide them with the know-how I've gleaned
the hard way, even for those who originally approached for a freebee. I am doing what I can to boost my neighbors self reliance
now, before TSHTF. With any luck, I will have a good rep for that.

Bear

PS: About being 'scary'. What I had in mind was answering the door while wearing my Ruger. No overt threat intended.

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Rarick

« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2009, 05:10:59 am »

I was responding to several posts in that.  One of the reasons I am making a long run home when the time comes is because of the pecking order games, and scary/ non-scary issue.  Las Vegas used to be okay until the last 5-10 years, now we have ben inudated with the KaliKluelessKlan starting to be able to regulate things due to tyranny of the majority issues.  (They are now able to outvote the original locals who liked it the way it was.)

At home people are careful to who they sell to, and usually it is only someone they know.  Many/most have moved from places where a developer bought up a farm, and the ability to control things thru the vote went away.  the one development in at least one case was enough to be half the county population.  Consider it a quiet Marin county concept.

Today's Tom Sawyer

• Extremist
  • His mind is not for rent, to any god or government
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2009, 04:32:42 pm »

She said that if there is a disaster they will be
coming over to my house.

"No, you won't." 

See how easy that was?
"If you are unable to separate neighborliness and kindness, loyalty and friendship, family ties and goodness from the statist politicians actions on behalf of no one but themselves, and if you fail to grasp the fact of the peaceful, productive, non-voting, kindly, helpful neighbours on this forum, then you have read little and thought less."  --feralfae
"When they bust down your door, 'It's TIME!'" --Pvt. Joker
“Don’t mess with an armed woman buying tampons!” --MWD

Faydra6

• Trust in God and keep your powder dry
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2010, 09:19:46 am »

Most of my family thinks I'm nuts for storing food and having chickens and rabbits.  I also carry a knife, but I don't tell anyone because I don't want to deal with annoying nagging.   I would love to carry a gun, but we live in Washington state and even though we live in the least populated area I think people would still be afraid.  I have tried to talk to friends and family about having only 2 weeks of emergency supplies but it makes them panic!  It's like people are afraid to look at the possibility of needing to rely on themselves and not the government or civilization to take care of them.  They tell me that they will come over to my house when "the big one" hits.  Hah!
Paranoia is the rational response to reality.

Who...me?

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2010, 12:13:10 pm »

They tell me that they will come over to my house when "the big one" hits.  Hah!

A common answer given by those who are either too lazy or to blind to prepare.   Tell them that unless they stock up themselves or pay ahead and start giving you 20 bucks a week for supplies so you will be ready for them to show up...that your door will be barred and they will be locked out. 

"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2010, 02:06:22 pm »

Remember how that worked out for the ant and the grasshopper. Better they don't know where you are or what you have. Sad, but there it is.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

gaurdduck

« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2010, 02:46:14 pm »

They tell me that they will come over to my house when "the big one" hits.  Hah!

A common answer given by those who are either too lazy or to blind to prepare.   Tell them that unless they stock up themselves or pay ahead and start giving you 20 bucks a week for supplies so you will be ready for them to show up...that your door will be barred and they will be locked out. 

Good Idea. I might use that once my gulch is established.

Who...me?

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2010, 03:36:50 pm »

Remember how that worked out for the ant and the grasshopper. Better they don't know where you are or what you have. Sad, but there it is.

Yes ML I agree with you there...but my wife wouldn't and I will quote the great and all knowing so and so..."A happy wife means a happy life".  So that means I won't be able to shoot at my mother in law when she shows up empty handed and knocking at my door.   :laugh:
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2010, 03:48:19 pm »

Yes ML I agree with you there...but my wife wouldn't and I will quote the great and all knowing so and so..."A happy wife means a happy life".  So that means I won't be able to shoot at my mother in law when she shows up empty handed and knocking at my door.   :laugh:

Guess I'm much too old fashioned. In my day it was, "A man's home is his castle." sigh And my mother-in-law would have been the last person either of us would have let in empty handed... but that's a WHOLE 'nother story. :)

In any case, sounds like the $20. a month levy would work better for you. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

;ohnboy

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2010, 06:33:18 pm »

Whew! 7 pages takes a while to read on a cell phone *only form of internet I have* I've had mostly bad luck with trying to inform my friends and family about the need to "stock up". Lots of excuses like "that won't happen here" or " that would cost too much" or "sounds like a great idea" but never do anything about it. I have three like minded friends who see the need for it. But alas they all have excuses as the why they are doing nothing. Can't afford it, or they say the have enough when they have hardly anything at all and one who can afford it and knows he needs to but has only spent about 50 bucks at an REI sale and that's it so far. I made a little headway with my dad the other day when I was cleaning and removing some of the RUST from his old H&R .22 pistol. I asked him to do his "paranoid" son a favor and get him one of those 550 rd. Boxes for 20 bucks and months worth of canned and dried food to put up. He laughed and said me and his brother (who I've met once and lives halfway across the country from me) would really get along and that he would try to do it cause he could tell I was actually sincere in asking him.

gaurdduck

« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2010, 06:40:42 pm »

Guess I'm much too old fashioned. In my day it was, "A man's home is his castle." sigh And my mother-in-law would have been the last person either of us would have let in empty handed... but that's a WHOLE 'nother story. :)

In any case, sounds like the $20. a month levy would work better for you. :)

For my family that would come out to $100 a month plus a n extra installment of $100 every 3 months or $1400 a year.

The break-down of spending:
$400 - 4 mosin-nagants or 12Ga shotguns or combination therof (the two calibers I already have)
$500 - Ammo for above, amount varies based on the haggling and deal hunting I learned in Ohio
$500 - Gohan, Hijiki, Wakame, Bonito, Nori, Shoyu, Supaisu, Edamame, Konbu, Koji (mold, not berry),
          Ra-men, Umeboshi, S&B Curry, Iri-Goma, Kuro-Goma, and some other stuff.

I could grow the veggies and Make the soy products. That's what the Koji is for. I think I'll start making Nattou too.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up