The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Scaring the straights  (Read 62528 times)

Bear

• Curious Bear
Re: Scaring the straights
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 04:36:58 pm »

She didn't speak to me for the rest of the trip home and, of course, we never went out again.

Didn't she catch the action that just happened????

How can any SANE person see that a firearm just saved them and then get upset over it's use???

JMHO, but you're better off without someone like that.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 06:08:57 pm »

She didn't speak to me for the rest of the trip home and, of course, we never went out again.

Didn't she catch the action that just happened????

How can any SANE person see that a firearm just saved them and then get upset over it's use???

JMHO, but you're better off without someone like that.

Bear

I'm sure she did and, considering this was about 30 years ago when attitudes about guns were more liberal, I was surprised by her reaction.  I don't know what she was thinking and I was still on the adrenaline so I didn't belabor the issue lest I say something stupid.  :argue:  Also I wanted to put some distance between me and the wannabes.  In her defense, she was coming down off a good scare and in a lot of people that turns to anger.

Of course at the time I wasn't so philosophical about it. 
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 09:52:52 pm »

Rarick,
He is single, Now he is scaring the straights. ^_^

Good another sheep woke up.  Is sometimes amazes me how asleep people can be.  I was recently in a bank to cash the paycheck when a customer got upset that the clerk would not let him withdraw money from the bank account, even when his girlfriend had vouched for him over the phone.  He was getting loud, so I just left, I figured some one was hitting the button since he was doing a lot of that "agitated" behavior.  'Vegas cops do tend to shoot once all the boxes are checked and "they can get away with it" rather than as an "absolute last resort" that I see in other cities.(I kinda like it that way-It keeps the crooks careful)  Stealth is way better than having to deal with hyped up cops with my carry weapon, when they start their "sort them out" proceedures.  Tomorrow will work for getting FRN's as well as today would have.

Something to always remember, discretion.  I am not a cop, there was no immediate threat. Avioding the possible developing situation is way safer all the way around.  Carrying and a CCW doesn't give you a hunting license, nor immunity from a nervous cop.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

anachronism

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:04 pm »

From the other side of the subject, a friend once told me, rather conspiratorially "you know, I'm not a Christian, I'm a witch". Apparently, I was supposed to be frightened, repulsed, or something. Instead, I made a rather light comment about witches being the ultimate environmentalists, and promptly ruined his day. Another guy I once worked with had a Wiccan ring on, with the pentastar. When I saw it I simply said "oh, a witch", and let it go at that. I thought the guy was going to pass out when I said it! Religions don't bother me, unless they want to kill me. Then I make an exception.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 10:01:37 pm »

From the other side of the subject, a friend once told me, rather conspiratorially "you know, I'm not a Christian, I'm a witch". Apparently, I was supposed to be frightened, repulsed, or something. Instead, I made a rather light comment about witches being the ultimate environmentalists, and promptly ruined his day. Another guy I once worked with had a Wiccan ring on, with the pentastar. When I saw it I simply said "oh, a witch", and let it go at that. I thought the guy was going to pass out when I said it! Religions don't bother me, unless they want to kill me. Then I make an exception.

Yep, that is my take on it.  I worked the reniassance fair in Kali while I was growing up (high School) a lot of interesting folks to say the least.  I do not get weirded out or defensive about stuff.  I am just me, if they can't deal with that- their loss :laugh:
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Lightning

• Heheheh...
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 08:33:36 pm »

Religions don't bother me, unless they want to kill me. Then I make an exception.

That quote ought to be a sig line!   :mellow:

Howdy and welcome to TCF, anachronism!   :hello:
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

anachronism

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2006, 08:51:39 pm »

Religions don't bother me, unless they want to kill me. Then I make an exception.

That quote ought to be a sig line!   :mellow:

Howdy and welcome to TCF, anachronism!   :hello:

LOL!!! it does have a nice ring to it...

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 11:36:50 am »

Do any of you participate in the sport of Schutzhund?  If not, do a little reasearch.  Imagine the looks I get when I tell the straights that I train my dog to attack a decoy at either a perceived threat or on my command.  We use bite sleeves, bite bars, whips (the sound only is used to test the dogs "hardness.")  The dog must also be impervious to the sound of gun shots.  As you can Imagine I'm a total freak to my co-workers, friends, extended family members, and neighbors.  And they don't even know about my guns and stockpile of food...  Damn serious.
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 12:19:14 pm »

Interesting thread... also interesting that a newcomer started rummaging around in the attic, studying history before starting to change the world... one ATTABOY for stainzblue.

I don't seem to shock or surprise anybody... they somehow expect it from me at the outset.  I really don't know why.  Oh, yeah, it's cuz I live in Idaho. However, a lot of them find the "no TV" thing odd as well as my buying 25-pound bags of food, reloading my own ammo, making music rather than turning it on, restoring a tired farm house rather than occupying a cardboard tract home, fixing rather than hiring it done or replacing ....

In California I shocked everybody. I was always quite confident that nobody suspected the Glock residing in my fannypack simply because "NOBODY but a cop carried a gun". Even the cops could be confident I wasn't packing because almost nobody did without a license and the odds on my legally packing were 41,636 to 1. Californians are so confident in the right-ness of everything they do that anything out of the ordinary shocks them. While Goth, grunge, yuppie, butch, flaming-gay and a dozen other dress-styles are California normal, I "dressed funny". While doing anything, nothing or anywhere in between were all fine, something about regularly, even constantly doing for myself made me just not fit.

So I guess I'm saying that if you are regularly shocking your neighbors, give at least a bit of thought to changing neighborhoods. Those folks won't be any help at all and, in fact, will be real problems when the chips are down.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

stainzblue

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 01:48:20 pm »

Thanks slidemansailor!  I'm a historian by training, and a mole by vocation!

Peace
SB
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 05:34:44 am »

So I guess I'm saying that if you are regularly shocking your neighbors, give at least a bit of thought to changing neighborhoods. Those folks won't be any help at all and, in fact, will be real problems when the chips are down.

That's very true.  I'm doing my best to practice OPSEC with my planning.  Unfortunately my wife just rolls her eyes and tells the other women in her Moms Group how weird I am.  I'm sure word is out about the 'guy stocking up for Armageddon' so I may need to gently remind my wife what those nice neighbors will do once TSHTF.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

stainzblue

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 11:27:21 am »

I know I won't be able to count on these guys when the SHTF.   I'm not dug in here. Don't own, just renting.  2 year plan is to get cc's paid off, min 7 acres way upstate, then dig in.  My fear is I won’t have enough time, however.  If SHTF, I have friendly's 1 hour north.  For complicated reason's (having to do with an x-spouse and joint custody), I'm in a holding pattern, which sucks and is dangerous.  I know.
securitysix

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 04:22:33 am »

I know I won't be able to count on these guys when the SHTF.   I'm not dug in here. Don't own, just renting.  2 year plan is to get cc's paid off, min 7 acres way upstate, then dig in.  My fear is I won’t have enough time, however.  If SHTF, I have friendly's 1 hour north.  For complicated reason's (having to do with an x-spouse and joint custody), I'm in a holding pattern, which sucks and is dangerous.  I know.

You at least have the right mindset.  So that puts you in the top 95%!

Hammer

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 06:43:00 am »

Hey, Knobster. Every New Years Day, DirecTV runs the Twilight Zone marathon. This past NYD, there was an episode that centered on a doctor that lived in a normal neighborhood and he built a bomb shelter (I believe the show date was 1962). At the doctors birthday party, all his neighbors teased him about the shelter and laughing about what a wacko he was. He laughed with them a bit, but then there was a news broadcast that unidentified aircraft were headed to the US and that everyone was to seek shelter immediately. The party broke up and the others went home while the doctor and his family loaded up the shelter with a few final things. Some of his neighbor "friends" came back to his house begging to get inside the shelter. The neighbors began to fight outside the door of the shelter and ultimately broke the door down to get inside. Right about then a radio call was sent out that it was a false alarm.

The point was that the "friends" turned into animals to protect themselves, even though they did no prep for the scariest thought of the day. And for you younger readers.... the reality of nuclear was an absolute terror in those days. I would suggest that your brides friends may laugh or roll their eyes, but would be the first people to be at your door.
If some is good... more is better... and too much is just about right - me.

In the land of the pig... the butcher is King! - Meatloaf

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 07:32:55 am »

The point was that the "friends" turned into animals to protect themselves, even though they did no prep for the scariest thought of the day. And for you younger readers.... the reality of nuclear was an absolute terror in those days. I would suggest that your brides friends may laugh or roll their eyes, but would be the first people to be at your door.

Morning Hammer.  That is the scary part!  Unfortunately I don't have a bomb shelter to hunker down in with the family.  Just a regular house in suburbia.  My goal is to eventually purchase ~20 acres and start living 'off the grid' as much as possible.  That may not happen for at least a year or more while I save up my pennies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up