The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Scaring the straights  (Read 63482 times)

C.G.

• LessGovernment.com
Re: Scaring the straights
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 04:26:34 pm »

My former circle of affiliates (mostly rock musicians in my area ... musicians of the very left wing variety) contained folks who could be horrified by the mere mentioning that I believe strongly in unrestricted firearm ownership and, in fact, possess and know how to use guns.  Many of them who were unfortunate enough to engage me in political conversation were equally appalled that I'm staunchly anti-tax and find the government in general to be quite useless.  Mind you, mere words provoked these reactions of outrage, as though the concepts of self-reliance and self-defense have never crossed their minds.
"Mr. Pence, how is what goes on in my home your business any more than what goes on in your home is my business?"

http://www.lessgovernment.com

freethinker

• Wild Woman
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 08:03:40 pm »

I'm fairly normal acting on the surface.  I do it for my family's sake. 

That will probably change when I turn eighteen and move out though.
People that spend all their time on facebook make me want to grab a nice big hard back and show their face what a real book looks like.

Quackenstein

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 03:22:17 pm »

Five guys, all in the building trades, standing around (not building anything),politics come up and I mention that I'm a libertarian, prompting one guy (who knew me only casually) to say,"I thought you were a Republican."

"Hell No!" says I, "Why would you think that, 'cause I'm white, middle-aged and not in a union?"

"Well, yeah." he said

I then explained to him that my idea of a perfect ruler was Mussolini

"But he was a fascist, wasn't he?" he asked.

"Oh, not the wartime Mussolini.", I explained, "The post-war Mussolini, the one hanging from the lamp post."

Three of them laughed because they thought I was kidding. The first one didn't because he knew I wasn't.

Now, maybe I prompted that. Speaking up about liberty is just opening yourself to attack and ostracism. Everybody agrees that you have to have law and order. I try to point out that Law & Order are diametrically opposed to Freedom & Liberty but the concept is lost on most people. That there are a few people who respond positively is the only reason I continue to engage in such conversations. Meeting intelligent like-minded folk is truly one of life's joys.

Quackenstein

P.S. Ceaucescu was pretty good too!
You cannot conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.
Robert Anson Heinlein

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 01:07:35 am »

"So how many guns DO you have?"

Just look at em real serious and tell em.......I don't know.....I haven't counted them lately......

What "really" freaks people out though is when the subject comes up, you show them a pic of some "assault rifle" that's in the middle of being "built" and tell them that you "roll your own"   :laugh:
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

jamgusmc

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 11:59:53 am »

Scaring the straights...hmmm I am going to assume you mean sheep, scaring straights in my area would self defeating :angry: I live in such an area that just asking that a doctor at the local clinic look at your kid before you have to drive an hour to the ER is enough to make them piss their pants and tell people your scary never mind if anyone knew I carried... shoot... its ok for politicians to kill someone during a DUI here or fake injuries to get 3 purple hearts to go home early, but God forbid you believe in God, believe in the constitution, own a gun,  or have an opinion that differs from the Vocal Minority! Well then, all hell breaks loose..

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 06:00:57 pm »

Scaring the straights...hmmm I am going to assume you mean sheep, scaring straights in my area would self defeating angry I live in such an area that just asking that a doctor at the local clinic look at your kid before you have to drive an hour to the ER is enough to make them piss their pants and tell people your scary never mind if anyone knew I carried

Jamgusmc, I don't get this. Why would they care at the local clinic, other than you're asking them to work?

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

jamgusmc

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 02:05:34 pm »

Scaring the straights...hmmm I am going to assume you mean sheep, scaring straights in my area would self defeating angry I live in such an area that just asking that a doctor at the local clinic look at your kid before you have to drive an hour to the ER is enough to make them piss their pants and tell people your scary never mind if anyone knew I carried

Jamgusmc, I don't get this. Why would they care at the local clinic, other than you're asking them to work?

Bear

Well to be brief, they are F@%*&D UP! They are incompetent, they are required by law to see you because they are state funded, BUT they still tell ppl they dont take walk ins and to go to the ER, they are not open on weekends for whatever reason, they are not supposed to or just wont do stitches, they try to play big brother if you don't watch out for them, ect ect ect...

kel

• resident montanarchist
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 10:08:18 pm »

Almost every day at work is "bring a gun to work day". I am a mechanic at a "Major Domestic Brand" which starts with "F". Several people, incuding the parts/service manager carry firearms on or near them at all times. We recently hired a few people from out of state. One day we were having "show and tell" in the shop, and one of the new guys was on the other side of the shop, (he is a recent convert, and related this story to us). He was looking at us thinking "I wish the boss would see this and fire all these crazy a-holes before they kill everybody". Imagine his suprise when the owner of the business came in and started talking to us and fondling the guns. Shortly thereafter, he relented to our good-natured ribbing, and went shooting with some of the guys. His only comment after shooting an "AK-47 that nobody needs except to kill people" was WOW, I GOTTA GET ONE OF THESE!!! He has now bought a few guns, and had some instruction, and is well on his way to thinking for himself.  They can be saved!! :ph34r:
I wasn't picking my nose, I was pointing at my brain.

DrillSgtK

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 11:53:07 am »

I love it when I scare the straights who should know better.

I work for a goverment testing center, and we test lots of weapons, tools and devices. One day we were looking over a less than leathal attachement for the M16/M4 and how it could help in clearing rooms. The Project manager was very conserned that it would not be rapid fire enugh in case of heavy resistance. At that point he asked me how I would lead a squad to clear a building full of armed bad guys.

"Two five pound bags of C4 and 30 seconds of time fuse, one at each end, back up and get under cover."

The room went quite. "uh, why would you have that much C4 on you?"

"In case I ran into a building full of heavly armed bad guys. Normaly you would have more, I'm a Combat Engineer, you never know when the application of C4 will help make things easyer."

Drill Sgt K

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 02:38:53 pm »

you never know when the application of C4 will help make things easyer.
Ah, if only I had a nickel...
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 02:46:33 pm »

Ah, if only I had a nickel...

Yup.  Rich, rich, rich.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 08:11:42 pm »

Dunno if I told this story before....

It was almost Christmas and the young lady I had been dating for while and I decided to go the LA Music Center after dinner.  Used to be there was a lot of free entertainment there that time of year. Being cheap, I parked on a back street lot I knew of and we walked about a quarter mile to the Center.  Because I knew there were sometimes folks with strange ways that hung around that neighborhood I had my S&W model 36 IWB under my jacket. JIC...

After a while of listening to street singers and choir groups we walked back to my car.  Since we had left, a van had parked behind me and couple of young men in "Jesus Saves" t-shirts were leaning against it. I figured them to be support for one of the choir groups and, like me, were trying the avoid the meters and parking fees.  I let my date in the car and, as I walked around to to driver's side, one of the loungers made a rude comment about my bumper sticker. I looked at him for a moment with my best I-don't-want-any-trouble face and said, "I'm sorry you feel that way."

At that remark one of the two opened the side door of the van and two more guys came tumbling out carrying baseball bats.  The newcomers quickly shared their weaponry with the other two leaving me facing four guys with bats. I thought about it for 500 milliseconds, slid my hand back under my jacket, eased out the Smith, and took a stance. I tried to radiate confidence.

The standoff lasted for maybe five seconds when --honest to gosh -- I said, "I think my Smith and Wesson trumps your Louisville Slugger."

I could see the fight go out of them and they lowered bats mumbling some excuse about how they were only joking and they weren't going to hurt anybody.

I got into the car, started it, and set the gun on the seat next to me as I drove off.  As I pulled out of the lot I glanced over at my date and she was staring at me with a horrified expression.  "You carry a gun?"

"Well, yes," I replied, "This can be a dangerous area."

She didn't speak to me for the rest of the trip home and, of course, we never went out again.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »

Almost every day at work is "bring a gun to work day". I am a mechanic at a "Major Domestic Brand" which starts with "F". Several people, incuding the parts/service manager carry firearms on or near them at all times. We recently hired a few people from out of state. One day we were having "show and tell" in the shop, and one of the new guys was on the other side of the shop, (he is a recent convert, and related this story to us). He was looking at us thinking "I wish the boss would see this and fire all these crazy a-holes before they kill everybody". Imagine his suprise when the owner of the business came in and started talking to us and fondling the guns. Shortly thereafter, he relented to our good-natured ribbing, and went shooting with some of the guys. His only comment after shooting an "AK-47 that nobody needs except to kill people" was WOW, I GOTTA GET ONE OF THESE!!! He has now bought a few guns, and had some instruction, and is well on his way to thinking for himself.  They can be saved!! :ph34r:

Beware, he may still be just a sheep and blending with the herd.  But at least he is willing to try new stuff, how is his wife dealing with his new stuff?
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 08:47:10 pm »

Dunno if I told this story before....

Don't think so. I would likely have remembered it. Good one. Too bad the lady didn't learn the lesson.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

kel

• resident montanarchist
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 12:45:40 pm »

Rarick,
He is single, early 20's, raised in Oklahoma by leftist democrats. Never had much chance to think for himself, just parroted "democrats good, republicans bad". Took a while to convince him that there is another way. Funniest thing he ever said to me was "My dad says that libertarians are just old republicans in disguise." Last time he went home to visit, his dad nearly disowned him after coming out on the short end of several discussions. Now he is scaring the straights. ^_^
I wasn't picking my nose, I was pointing at my brain.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up