The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TCF SSL Access  (Read 106950 times)

debra

TCF SSL Access
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:25:32 am »

TCF can be accessed through a secured link:

https://erte.hmdnsgroup.com/~tcftalk/clairefiles/

NOTE: As of 4/3/07, please use this URL instead for secure access:

https://thementalmilitia.com/forums/

Bill St. Clair's post on page three explains the reason for the change and describes minor changes in access procedures.

-- EDIT by Claire 4/4/07

Instructions for avoiding annoying dialogs in Windows Internet Explorer are here.

--EDIT by wws 1/10/2011
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:00:50 am by wws »

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Re: TCF SSL Access
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 11:51:31 pm »

So what does that get ya?
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 05:07:10 am »

In my case a 256 bit AES connection. :-)
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 06:55:32 am »

In simple terms, reading TCF through that link is as secure as buying something online with a credit card.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

debra

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 09:07:09 am »

My understanding is that with SSL the data (including username/password entries, PMs, etc) can't be "sniffed". Obviously any posts can be read by someone who browses here, but submitted data is encrypted during transmission. Does that make sense? I hope so.

And um, Bill, if I'm wrong, correct me!

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:22:49 am »

That's basically right, Debra. I'm sure the NSA can break an SSL encoded stream if they devote their computer resources to it. But it will take them a while, so the idea is to increase the amount of encrypted traffic out there so there's lots of encrypted talk about recipes and Twinkies, etc. for them to waste their time on. Note that PM's though not easily available to all and sundry, are stored in the database on our web server unencrypted. And on the backup server. I could look at them any time I want, but I won't. If the feds were to subpoena our web host, they could get the database and see everything everybody has written. I recommend using PGP to encrypt your PMs. That way, nobody but the intended recipients can read them, without stealing your private key and keyboard logging your passphrase, or spending a massive amount of computer time cracking your message.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

OLD TIRED RN

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 03:46:07 pm »

Bill, is it worth while for someone like me who has already said enough here and elsewhere to get myself onto their "naughty list" and keep me there by what I've already said that is already not encrypted, to take the time to do this posting by the encrypted method?  I'm very very computer illiterate, able to do e-mail and post here/things like this/ but I'm not even moderately skilled in things like encryption. 

Sure wish I knew how to do computers good instead of work on people.  Oh well.

Thanks,  RN
When freedom fails, the best men rot in filthy jails, and they who cry APEASE APEASE are hanged by those who they tried to please.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 05:21:26 pm »

RN,

Only you can decide what's worth your effort.

I usually don't encrypt stuff, even though I have all the tools installed on my machine and know how to use them. Naughty boy am I.

The commercial PGP product, on Windows or Macintosh, is easier to use, IMHO, than GnuPG. It allows you to encrypt to and decrypt from the clipboard, not just files, and it provides encrypted virtual disks. The user interface is also much slicker, as is the email integration. If you can spare the $99, I recommend it. But for the price, free, GnuPG is a great value, and the GUI interfaces make it quite usable. There's even an EMACS interface, for Linux, that makes it almost as easy to use as commercial PGP.

Even if you're already on the "naughty list", your message's recipient might not be.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 12:11:35 am »

Bill, is it worth while for someone like me who has already said enough here and elsewhere to get myself onto their "naughty list" and keep me there by what I've already said that is already not encrypted, to take the time to do this posting by the encrypted method?

IMO, yes and in this particular case it costs you nothing except to change your bookmark. 

It doesn't matter if you are already on a 'list' somewhere. In fact, it may be a good thing for you to send megabytes of encrypted information.  Make the bastards waste thousands of hours of computer time to crack your recipe lists.  Every bit of encrypted traffic on the net is a bigger haystack we can hide our needles in.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 05:08:53 am »

enemyofthestate,

I think RN was asking about taking the trouble to PGP encrypt personal messages. I agree with you that everybody should switch bookmarks to the encrypted web link that Debra posted to begin this thread. Further encrypting personal messages is a more personal decision.

Junker

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 04:55:11 pm »

Bill, I use SuSE 9.2 KDE w/ KGPG 1.0 installed. KGPG shows up as a lock icon in the utilities/widgets box next to the clock on lower right control bar. I left click the lock icon and get a pop-up menu which includes en-/de-crypt clipboard. I don't know if it only runs in KDE, but AYK, usually once one group has it, they all soon get it.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 06:18:57 pm »

Bill, I use SuSE 9.2 KDE w/ KGPG 1.0 installed. KGPG shows up as a lock icon in the utilities/widgets box next to the clock on lower right control bar. I left click the lock icon and get a pop-up menu which includes en-/de-crypt clipboard. I don't know if it only runs in KDE, but AYK, usually once one group has it, they all soon get it.

Glad to hear it. My Linux setup is currently running JWM, Jim's Window Manager. I can likely use some KDE widgets, but I haven't played with them much. I find the Emacs package I mentioned above to be sufficient.

Bland

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 08:59:14 pm »

Bill, is it worth while for someone like me who has already said enough here and elsewhere to get myself onto their "naughty list" and keep me there by what I've already said that is already not encrypted, to take the time to do this posting by the encrypted method?

IMO, yes and in this particular case it costs you nothing except to change your bookmark. 

It doesn't matter if you are already on a 'list' somewhere. In fact, it may be a good thing for you to send megabytes of encrypted information.  Make the bastards waste thousands of hours of computer time to crack your recipe lists.  Every bit of encrypted traffic on the net is a bigger haystack we can hide our needles in.

Yeah, when I first suggested this idea for a secure link, I explained that what this does is increase the *cost* for the JBT's or anyone else if they want to screw with you, your account here, or your privacy.  And OLD TIRED RN, it is worth it for you to 1) Only use the secure link and 2) change your password so that "They" have a much harder time of stealing your password here and doing things like posting under your name, keeping tabs on which IP's you post from here, or distinguishing your traffic from other posters here.

PintofStout

• Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated
    • Murphy's Bye-Laws
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 11:06:06 am »

What's the whole "secure and non-secure items" box that pops up every time I load a page?
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity there ain't nothing can beat teamwork.
               Seldom Seen Smith of The Monkeywrench Gang by Edward Abbey

Check out my blog and tell me what you think: http://pintofstout.wordpress.com
I also have some poetry and non-political stuff here: http://anonymous.trout.googlepages.com

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 11:27:28 am »

Likely an avatar that is stored off-site. Do you get it on every page, or just some pages? If the latter, please give some links, so that I can encourage those people to upload their avatars to the site.

Actually, I see one on this page, though Firefox isn't complaining. enemyofthestate's avatar is stored off-site.

Which web browser do you use, PintofStout?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 11:29:40 am by Bill St. Clair »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up