The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Books online  (Read 1966 times)

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Books online
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:23:00 am »

Found this site earlier today,  and spent a bunch of time downloading stuff...

There's a whole bunch of tech-type books there.    :-)
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Junker

Re: Books online
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 11:32:19 am »

Good to have more tech books. For more general items, I also use upenn.edu. Their search feature includes all their resources local or not (as in Gutenberg).

Archive.org also has Gutenberg plugged in and its other lists. Much there though uses DJVU, a scan format version, which is good for pictures but not for text searches. They sometimes have a PDF (also containing the scans) along with the DJVU. I'd rather have text, but if a text version is not available, the scan version works well enough.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Re: Books online
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 11:58:17 pm »

Good to have more tech books. For more general items, I also use upenn.edu. Their search feature includes all their resources local or not (as in Gutenberg).

I've bookmarked them.  Got a major amount of stuff sitting here now waiting for me to do something useful with it,  and I keep getting more...

Archive.org also has Gutenberg plugged in and its other lists. Much there though uses DJVU, a scan format version, which is good for pictures but not for text searches. They sometimes have a PDF (also containing the scans) along with the DJVU. I'd rather have text, but if a text version is not available, the scan version works well enough.

That's one site that I've been to on occasion,  most recently for music,  but also for a few other things as well.  So much material out there,  so little time...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: [1]   Go Up