The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching to Linux  (Read 14497 times)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Re: Switching to Linux
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 02:28:19 am »

For wireless cards,  they seem to be a PITA for a lot of people. 

I've got a belkin wireless card here that's a POS (a winwireless card)....and of all things, a microsoft USB wireless card/box that I can get to work using the prism2 chipset kernel drivers.......

I think you can find out what'll work and what won't at

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Leonidas the Younger

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 08:07:16 am »

My distro I'm running right now is:

Redhat based ... nope.

Debian based ... nope.

Slackware based ... nope.

Only three branches? Hardly!

Ever hear of Gentoo? :D

I'll forgive your newbness ;)

-- Leonidas
-- It may soon be time to say: "I plead the second."; are you ready?
-- What have you *DONE* for freedom today?
-- Collectives may exist under individualism, but individuals are not suffered to exist under collectivism.
-- I don't beg anyone for my freedom any more.  It isn't theirs to give me.  It's mine to take and to live. - Lightning.
-- Educated men are as much superior to uneducated men as the living are to the dead. - Aristotle

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 08:51:59 am »

I tried the latest Ubuntu live CD yesterday in a Virtual PC VM. Couldn't make the video work. Guess I'll have to burn a CD and try it on the native hardware. I liked the earlier version as a user OS. The new one sure took a long time to boot. I remember the earlier one being quite fast.

I like Gentoo too, though I don't like waiting for packages to compile from source. OpenOffice went overnight and much of the next morning. It IS nice, though, that new packages almost always work and that Gentoo takes care of all the dependencies for you.

I boot up Slackware more often than any other Linux. I never feel like it's getting in the way of what I want to do. But I don't do much with Linux other than play, especially since I installed Cygwin and XAMPP on my XP system, which give me most of what I want.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

snokrash257

• keithperkins.net
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 08:56:30 am »

I installed Knoppix onto my harddrive, it is working fine right now.  I have had Debian and Suse also installed previously (as a dual install with my windows OS that came with my laptop).

Knoppix is a debian based distro, supposedly I can use any debian flavored program.  The Knoppix has most of the laptop functional.  (The power control doesn't work quite rite, but it doesn't any better with the windowsOS it came with (WinME rather sucks for that))

Also, I havn't figured out how to work the DVD player to play movies, or to make my wireless wifi card to work under linux.

otherwise, all seems to work as good or better under Knoppix.  Debian was about the same, but more things didn't work right out (The Knoppix config works pretty good).  Didn't care much for Suse.

Allan
For DVDs I use mplayer with the "Windows" codecs installed. Check this out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=94&highlight=multimedia (this is for ubuntu, but it gives the basics, and I think there's more info on the mplayer site)
For wireless card, it depends on what card you have.  Broadcom has no native drivers for linux (there's a project sponsored by Belois that has promise, and is almost ready for primetime), so I use ndiswrapper, with the windows driver, and my wireless is working--not perfect, but clse enough.  I can't remember if Knoppix uses synaptic or not, if it does do a search for ndiswrapper, if not
apt-cache search ndiswrapper
will show if you can install it from repositories. Or you can get it from http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ and, also instuctions for installing it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 09:00:34 am by snokrash257 »

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 04:41:40 pm »

Well there Leonidas, read up on Gentoo, and quite frankly it looks and awful lot like minx to me....and I wouldn't recommend minix for anyone "Switching to Linux"....but for folks that like fiddling and diddling it looks like it might be fun.......

I was wrong, you were right.....forgive my gross newbness  :laugh:
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Leonidas the Younger

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2006, 07:42:12 am »

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but if you are, how can you confuse Gentoo with Minix?

Anyway, I wouldn't recomend it for someone new to Linux, but it's definately it's own distro.

-- Leonidas
-- It may soon be time to say: "I plead the second."; are you ready?
-- What have you *DONE* for freedom today?
-- Collectives may exist under individualism, but individuals are not suffered to exist under collectivism.
-- I don't beg anyone for my freedom any more.  It isn't theirs to give me.  It's mine to take and to live. - Lightning.
-- Educated men are as much superior to uneducated men as the living are to the dead. - Aristotle

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 12:36:52 pm »

Leonidas,

It has to do with package installation, which in minix means no binaries, only source which is compiled on the machine as part of the installation proccess and source code retained for future recompliation, in fact when doing a full blown minix install, even the installation kernel is not the kernel in the final install and as part of the installation proccess a new semi-hardware specific kernel is compiled, yet even that kernel isn't really hardware specific unless one edits the code itself to include the various hardware devices...and turns on such things like TCP/IP

(edited in) A basic minix system is skeletal and only becomes useful for daily use after a lot of work
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 01:40:51 pm by ZooT_aLLures »

velojym

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 10:04:19 pm »

I've always considered the Minix types to be purely educational. Small, useable on older hardware, and as stated above, you have to actually learn how to use it.
I have Fedora Core 4 on most of my machines, and it's gotten so user friendly that I rarely have to delve into anything. Oh, except ndiswrapper, which I haven't done yet. I'm a horrible procrastinator.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 11:21:33 pm »

"User friendly" only goes so far and only for a semi specific type of user, after that "user friendly" becomes more hinderance than help.......

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 11:51:08 pm »

"User friendly" only goes so far and only for a semi specific type of user, after that "user friendly" becomes more hinderance than help.......

Reminds me of a post I read somewheres recently about stuff getting in your way...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 01:00:41 am »

stuff getting in your way.

Er uh.....wasn't that post pretaining to "windows" having a habit of getting in your way......and as linux distribution continue to try to emulate windows, won't they follow suit?

Yeah I've also tried an awful lot of those "shiny" distributions......I'd rather have a umpolished distribution that doesn't profess to "know what's best" for me  :rolleyes:

As linux continues to attempt to make inroads into the "mainstream desktop" market, I'll think we'll see more and more "idiotware"(safety mechanisms) added to distributions because they think idiots will be using those distributions....and thus nonidiots will be hindered by all the crap added to protect idiots from themselves  :laugh:

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 01:06:56 am »

Er uh.....wasn't that post pretaining to "windows" having a habit of getting in your way......and as linux distribution continue to try to emulate windows, won't they follow suit?

I dunno,  I can't recall where I was reading that...

Worst thing I've ever encountered when it came to stuff getting in my way was the couple of times I tried a mac.  Early ones, though.  I hear the later ones are supposed to be better?  Maybe if you can get a text console on one of those...

Yeah I've also tried an awful lot of those "shiny" distributions......I'd rather have a umpolished distribution that doesn't profess to "know what's best" for me  :rolleyes:

Anyhow.

As linux continues to attempt to make inroads into the "mainstream desktop" market, I'll think we'll see more and more "idiotware"(safety mechanisms) added to distributions because they think idiots will be using those distributions....and thus nonidiots will be hindered by all the crap added to protect idiots from themselves  :laugh:

No doubt about it.  I've noticed that this is the direction that things seem to be moving in.

Well,  I'm happy to be running Slackware here.  :-)
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 03:19:08 am »

I wrote something about Slackware not getting in my way, but don't know if that's what you're thinking of.

Worst thing I've ever encountered when it came to stuff getting in my way was the couple of times I tried a mac.  Early ones, though.  I hear the later ones are supposed to be better?  Maybe if you can get a text console on one of those...

Mac OSX is BSD Unix underneath, and the Mach kernel. You can get a text console. It ships with text Emacs (no meta key), and you can get the graphical version (meta key). The only problem I find with it is that you can only get to selected application menu items with the keyboard. For the others, you have to use the mouse. In Windows (and Linux?) you can get to everything with the keyboard. But I understand why lots of artistic types like the Mac, even though it no longer has a monopoly on artistic software. It's beautiful. From the minute you open the box to take out a new computer, to the time that you shut it down for the day, it's just plain beautiful. Heck, it's beautiful just sitting silent on the desk. Apple knows industrial design.

The latest Linux distribution to hit my VM is SLAX, a compact Slackware live CD (< 180 megs) that you can easily customize.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 12:10:03 am »

The latest distribution to hit my my grubby little shithooks is a distribution I've been trying to find for years.

It's called "Linux-lite" and it'll run in 896K of memory on any old 386*grin*

And yeah......neither Slackware nor a decent default BSD installation will ever "get in your way".....it's just not their nature.....it's when somebody else decides what you want for you that things start getting tedious......

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 12:25:34 am »

I wrote something about Slackware not getting in my way, but don't know if that's what you're thinking of.

Could be,  I dunno...

Mac OSX is BSD Unix underneath, and the Mach kernel.

That's why I specified the early ones.  :-)

You can get a text console. It ships with text Emacs (no meta key), and you can get the graphical version (meta key). The only problem I find with it is that you can only get to selected application menu items with the keyboard.

Items _you_ selected or items that somebody else selected?

For the others, you have to use the mouse. In Windows (and Linux?) you can get to everything with the keyboard.

#define root "god"

But I understand why lots of artistic types like the Mac, even though it no longer has a monopoly on artistic software. It's beautiful. From the minute you open the box to take out a new computer, to the time that you shut it down for the day, it's just plain beautiful. Heck, it's beautiful just sitting silent on the desk. Apple knows industrial design.

Some people really like 'em.  Like my brother,  who's developed a bit of an enthusiasm for them.  But in addition to the minor irritation of use with the early ones,  there's also their business model,  or "corporate attitude" to consider.  When I had my shop there was some occasional opportunity to work on Apple stuff,  but they wouldn't part with any service data,  nor would the local service center -- that would have violated their agreement with the company,  which franchise apparently involves the payment of a rather large fee.  Which meant  that nobody but their dealers could do any service,  locking everybody else out,  even if the dealer went out of business and there was nobody in the area (as is currently the case here).  Or take the way the first machines came out with only 128K of ram,  with stuff you did while booting eating up a nontrivial portion of that.  Seems to me I recall reading in Byte magazine as to how they found a software bug in the ROMs,  but in order to get the bug fixed you also had to get a memory upgrade -- from them!  Which back in those days sold for something like $700,  way beyond what the third-party upgrades were charging.  Oh yeah,  and if you'd gone and gotten one of those third-party upgraded,  you were SOL,  you didn't get the ROM upgrade at all,  period.

I can still remember the Lisa,  too,  and the really screwy floppy drive they had with that machine,  which nobody else used,  or anything at all like it.  Two heads,  but on opposite sides,  with two pressure pads?!  And that on a machine that sold for ten grand,  and the folks that invested in that got royally screwed when they canned the whole thing,  withdrew all support,  and after a bit came out with the mac.

They can keep it.

The latest Linux distribution to hit my VM is SLAX, a compact Slackware live CD (< 180 megs) that you can easily customize.

I can really customize the stock distribution,  what's so different about that?  I had Slack 8 or 9 running on my router/firewall box on an 80M drive with part of that being a swap partition and with the rest of it being 60-some-odd meg I still had room left over.  The current box is a 486 and has a 540M drive in it that's got way too much clutter still left on it,  but I have no particular reason to worry about cleaning it,  though I do have an 80M drive or two somewhere  still.
--
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up