The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching to Linux  (Read 14973 times)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Re: Switching to Linux
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2006, 12:11:21 pm »

Do you know what soundcard it is?

I know using a fairly recent trademarked soundblaster it was detected and worked, but the volume was set so low that it seemed to not be working......
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2006, 01:03:56 pm »

It's an Intel 82801BA/BAM AC97 Digital Audio card.

When Fedora said it had detected it and asked if I heard the test sound, I tried saying 'yes' instead of no in an attempt to trick it.  That apparently didn't work.  I decided to then check the volume settings and its not letting me adjust them, saying 'no mixer elements or device found.'   I'm quite sure I was able to adjust it last night, but it's not letting me now.  I'm thinking that it may not be a hardware detection issue, but a volume control issue instead.
Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2006, 01:46:17 pm »

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2006, 01:59:38 pm »

Okay, here's a really embarassingly clueless question:

Is a Live CD the same as a bootable CD?  Or does that just mean there's a program that can run without being loaded to the hard drive?

I got a care package from the Linux Fairy that I'd like to play with, but am not ready to clean Windoze off my one and only PC.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2006, 02:01:21 pm »

Yes, a Live CD is bootable. Just stick it in and start 'er up... won't do any harm 'tall to Windoze. :mellow:
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Thunder

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2006, 06:18:30 pm »

Thanks, Zoot, but that link wasn't much good.  It's links were broken.

I was able to get a copy of sndconfig and ran it.  It said my kernel wasn't configured for sound or something to that effect.  Said I needed at least 2.2.  I've got Linux 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3 #1 Fri Oct 21 03:46:55 EDT 2005, so not sure what that was all about.
Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

Thunder

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2006, 11:01:29 pm »

Update #3582.1-4

Upon learning of lpsci and lsmon programs, I've garnered the following info:

From lpsci:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio ( rev 11)

and from lsmod:
snd_intel8x0           34177  3
snd_ac97_codec         74937  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss            50673  0
snd_mixer_oss          17729  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                98889  4 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              32837  1 snd_pcm
snd                    57285  9 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixe r_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              10785  2 snd
snd_page_alloc          9669  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

When using Knoppix (which works) it appears that the device driver used is i810_audio, not the snd_intel8x0 that Fedora is using.  Now, I gotta figure out how to change the drivers without rebuilding the kernel. 

A n00b trial by fire is not what I had planned, ya know!  If all else fails, I'm going to Core 4 and hoping for the best.
Thunder[/color][/font]

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2006, 12:02:37 am »

try
rmmod snd_intel8x0
modprobe i810_audio

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2006, 12:39:18 am »

try
rmmod snd_intel8x0
modprobe i810_audio

Yeah.

Then if that works,  you gotta figure out what config thingy you need to change to get the right one installed on boot.  Don't worry about kernel stuff,  I don't think you'll have to go there since it's all handled by modules these days anyhow.

I know that in Slackware under /etc/rc.d/ there's a bunch of files that set this sort of thing up and that by simply editing the right one (rc.modules in my case) that takes care of that as that's where the bootup stuff goes to figure out what's needed.  But I have no clue as to how fedora handles that sort of thing,  or whether you changing something behind its back might create problems (which apparently is the case with some distros,  you don't use _their_ program to configure stuff it "corrects" any changes you might make).

But anyhow,  don't worry about messing with the kernel,  from here it sure looks like you won't have to.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2006, 12:54:35 am »

Yeah.......the redHat/fedora/mandrake branch of the linux tree like to scatter config files all over the fucking filesystem*L*....

Thunder

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2006, 08:55:46 am »

try
rmmod snd_intel8x0
modprobe i810_audio

Are 'rmmod' and 'modprobe' programs that I'll need to download or are they commands that are already included?  Any prerequisite info that I'll need before trying to run them?

Clear, concise info is not exactly prolific in the Linux world.  lol
Thunder[/color][/font]

linuxfan

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2006, 09:31:21 am »

should be installed already. man lsmod and rmmod and insmod or modprobe to find out

Mr. Bill

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2006, 11:06:35 am »

A n00b trial by fire is not what I had planned, ya know!

When we bought out Apple II+, I put it together, installed some software inserted a floppy containing some software, and was able to do useful work immediately. Later, I learned more about it and hacked it to do nifty stuff.

When we bought our Amiga 1000, {ditto all of the above}.

When we bought our 386SX, I installed DOS 5 and Windows 3 and Word 1 and was able to do useful stuff immediately.

Ditto when we assembled a homebrew system with WinNT. And when we bought a laptop with WinXP. In all cases, the computer was useful immediately, and at my leisure I could learn more about it and improve its usefulness.

When I installed Ubuntu Linux on a barebones sytem last summer, before the installation was even complete I had to become knowledgable about disk partitioning, had to guess how to bypass a frozen "configure apt" phase of the installation, had to learn what "grub" was, and had to modify /etc/hosts manually. Before it was safe for me to plug into the Internet I had to learn how iptables works and configure it. A few months later I upgraded from Ubuntu "Hoary" to "Breezy", and this was definitely the most complex and tedious computer project I have ever attempted.

And Ubuntu is supposed to be merely "medium" on the difficulty scale according to DistroWatch.

I will never complain about the inadequacies of free software. I mean, it's free, right? But based on my experience, and what I've heard from others, the evangelists who think Linux is ready to displace Windows are not seeing the situation realistically.

Argh. But having gone through all this, I really like my Linux system, and I don't think I'll ever buy another Microsoft OS.

I have now vented. Sorry for the interruption.

linuxfan

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2006, 12:06:23 pm »

heh, yeah, INSTALLING Linux can be a huge PITA, but once you get it up and running, and try to go back to Micro$oft, you learn how much better linux really is. no scanning for viruses, no defragging, no BSODs,
no rebooting at least every two weeks to keep the system functional, and linux doesn't try to tell you how to do the stuff you want.

And if you want a lesson in painful OS installs, do linux from scratch. THAT'S painful. OpenBSD is almost
as painful as that, but not quite

Thunder

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2006, 12:20:48 pm »

Mr. Bill is right.  It should just WORK.

I also understand everyone's argument for the lack of automation as well.  The problem with Windows is not its automation.  The problem is the lack of being able to turn that automation on and off at will.  Linux goes to the other end of the spectrum and gives you nothing that is automated and you have to turn it all on if you want it on.

What we need is a Linux distro that has a happy medium.  Provide the automation like Windows, with the ability to turn it on or off at will like Linux.  I think that would probably make a lot more people happy than the two extremes currently do.

The security issues with Windows are a totally different subject and, of course, tip the balance towards Linux on that particular subject.
Thunder[/color][/font]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up