The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching to Linux  (Read 10189 times)

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Re: Switching to Linux
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2006, 12:27:33 am »

The latest distribution to hit my my grubby little shithooks is a distribution I've been trying to find for years.

It's called "Linux-lite" and it'll run in 896K of memory on any old 386*grin*

Hey,  I'm really glad I didn't throw away any of those 30-pin 1M memory sticks,  and snagged the ones that other folks were gonna throw away.  Even have a couple of 386sx-20 boxes here that I've been wondering what to do with...

What the heck _would_ you do with such a machine,  anyhow?

And yeah......neither Slackware nor a decent default BSD installation will ever "get in your way".....it's just not their nature.....it's when somebody else decides what you want for you that things start getting tedious......

Yep!
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2006, 12:38:50 am »

Roy,

They're notebooks, have good batteries a modem and a wall wart and I do have the docking statons........do I need to say more?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 01:01:58 am by ZooT_aLLures »
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 01:31:19 am »

Roy,

They're notebooks, have good batteries a modem and a wall wart and I do have the docking statons........do I need to say more?

Nope!  :-)

Now if the ones I had were,  that'd be nifty,  but they're just low-profile cases...   <shrug>
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 10:49:00 am »

Well, I got my care package from the Linux Fairy!

Thanks, Linux Fairy!

(now I need to learn enough to even know what I've got...)
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2006, 11:59:16 am »

Roy,

Low profile cases with low wattage power supplies?.....maybe low enough to be used with an inverter, a few batteries, and a solar array?...

This is not to say that I'll not buy a more modern notebook....but instead to say that(IMO) the money is better spent elsewhere at this time........
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 01:44:52 am »

Roy,

Low profile cases with low wattage power supplies?.....maybe low enough to be used with an inverter, a few batteries, and a solar array?...

Might be possible,  but you'd still have a 386sx-25 machine when you were done.  They're "Dell 325SX" models,  and I don't think they'll hold more than 8M unless you can find some 4M 30-pin sticks.  Interested in taking one of these off my hands?

This is not to say that I'll not buy a more modern notebook....but instead to say that(IMO) the money is better spent elsewhere at this time........

Yup.  I know how that goes.
--

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 01:06:11 pm »

Roy,

For terminal access and communication purposes almost any old clunker will work just fine....

Hell I've even compiled a linux kernel on these clunker notebooks.....but it took a long long time......

And to be truthful I'm getting rid of old junkers and don't really need any new old junkers*L*

linuxfan

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 05:19:09 pm »

Suse arguably has the best hardware detection, besides
Mandriva, but with both of those, if your hardware isn't
automatically configured, good luck getting it to work.
Debian is a pain the ass to get configured, but apt handles
dependencies pretty well. Slackware use a text editor to
configure just about EVERYTHING, and slack doesn't even
pretend to hand dependencies. Gentoo is a source based distro
that has something called portage that handles deps really
well, but it's a pain in the ass to install, and if you don't
know the hardware you have installed, and what kernel modules
it needs, you're screwed, unless you don't mind doing a lot
of research. Gentoo also has the best user community on the
planet, with IRC channels where people actually help instead
of flaming like debian, and forums and a bugzilla system out
of this world, as well as a kickass wiki

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2006, 11:26:51 pm »

Slackware use a text editor to
pretend to hand dependencies.

Yup.......just the way I like it*grin*

Letting things try to autoconfigure themselves leads to nightmares when something that formerly worked now doesn't, at which point a person  used to the operating system utilities doing everything for them now has to do what?......use a text edit and edit files.....

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2006, 12:22:22 am »

Slackware use a text editor to
pretend to hand dependencies.

Yup.......just the way I like it*grin*

Letting things try to autoconfigure themselves leads to nightmares when something that formerly worked now doesn't, at which point a person  used to the operating system utilities doing everything for them now has to do what?......use a text edit and edit files.....

It sure hasn't been a problem for me,  either...
--

linuxfan

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2006, 12:35:23 pm »

yeah, but some people get skeered when ya tell them they have
to type. Gentoo is configured with text editor, too, and it's
about like slackware with that, so i likes it, and it ain't
a problem to me, either :D

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2006, 12:19:47 am »

Well that's the thing..........sooner or later, any operating is going to seem limited, and with linux/unix it seems, the way to overcoming those limitations always ends up being via the text editor and manually butchering/editing scripts..........

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2006, 08:36:05 am »

Ok.........back to the original subject......

I bought a new hard drive and now have Fedora Core 3 installed  on it.  So far, I'm not exactly impressed.  I have no sound due to Fedora detecting a sound card that I don't have and not detecting the one that I do.

However, given that, I do now have a dual boot system and can access Windows programs whenever I need to.  I'm sure there are going to be a lot of growing pains as I learn what this system is all about, how to maneuver around it, etc. 

Even though Windows was/is a shitty OS, at least it worked.
Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

linuxfan

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2006, 10:41:36 am »

heh, Thunder, you just hit the major problem with the "n00b
friendly" distros like fedora, suse, and mandriva. hardware
is a pain the ass, for the same reason you mentioned, or
because a certain piece of hardware only has a windows driver
or the company just sucks, etc, etc, etc. I'd suggest googling
the soundcard on google.com/linux, and then figuring out where
fedora stores the kernel modules, and looking to see if the
module listed on google is in there, and if not, compile and
install it to the module directory and insmod it. then you
can find the module config file, i think its in /etc and put
the module name in there. that should fix sound. iirc,
modules are stored in /lib/kernel<version>/modules/ but i'm
not sure how fedora handles that

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2006, 11:00:07 am »

I know it works under Linux as Knoppix detected it correctly.

Now, in English, what'd you say?

UPDATE:  Apparently, Fedora DID detect it correctly.  I updated my Windows drivers and the naming convention for the sound card changed to what Fedora was detecting.  Problem is that even though it's detecting it correctly, it still isn't working.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 11:51:40 am by Thunder »
Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up