The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Centos opinions??  (Read 2900 times)

Mutly

Centos opinions??
« on: January 13, 2006, 08:21:44 am »

I've recently discovered Centos linux.  I'd been wandering the bsd halls for some time, but have decided linux should be my new sandbox.  Are there any pitfalls I need to watch out for with Centos?  My understanding is that it is identical to Red Hat, is that correct?

Thanks.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: Centos opinions??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:17:15 am »

I had never heard of Centos Linux before today. According to their web site, it is based on the open source version of a "Prominent North American Enterprise Linux Vendor", who will heretofor remain unnamed in their official communications due to legal threats. If you click around further, you discover that the "Prominent North American Enterprise Linux Vendor" is indeed Red Hat. I have a Fedora Core installation (Red Hat's open source distribution) in one of my Virtual PC VMs. It appears to work. Installation was easy. It's big, though. Four CDs. The Centos i386 distribution is also four CDs.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:26:22 am »

I've recently discovered Centos linux.  I'd been wandering the bsd halls for some time, but have decided linux should be my new sandbox.  Are there any pitfalls I need to watch out for with Centos?  My understanding is that it is identical to Red Hat, is that correct?

Functionally, yes.  The distributors strip out the Redhat name and 'intelllectual property' -- mostly graphics -- and replace it with thier own.  Utility names that include the word 'redhat' in it are changed.

I use both CentOS3 and 4 on production web and fax servers and it works fine.  I also use it for development Oracle boxes but, becaue of how Oracle support works, I buy an actual copy of ES/AS for production Oracle boxes.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Mutly

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 10:01:59 am »

Yeah I was hoping the functionality would be identical.  I've got a Centos3 test box set up.  Thinking about switching to it for my personall stuff.  It's that or fedora.  The community for these is much better then freebsd which is what I got personally running (outside of my xp gaming machine).  And to be honest standard linux distros have moved well beyond the 'honey pot' years.

For official projects, yeah oracle on red hat and itanium.  If I could figure out how to make mySql or postgres handle 300GB growth a month I would.

Thanks for the feedback.

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 10:37:45 am »

I've tried CentOS on a test machine here, and it is very RedHat-ish.  Looks like it would be good to use for test, development, and not-quite-production machines if your "official" machines are running RH and your employer doesn't want to pay $$$ for the non-production ones.

Installing from DVD is the way to go, much better than juggling 4-5 CD's.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 11:58:58 am »

Hey plinker,

I can find no reference to it right now, but I seem to remember a "centos" that was floating around a few years back that was based on the old atheOS codebase.....
You remember anything about that?
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

linuxfan

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 02:09:42 pm »

The community for these is much better then freebsd which is what I got personally running (outside of my xp gaming machine).

IF you want a dynamite user community, with lots of support,
i know that gentoo has the best on the net. i've never run
into a problem i've not been able to fix from either the wiki,
forums, mailing lists, or chatrooms.

Mutly

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 03:48:01 pm »

linuxfan -- Well I must admit user community isn't all I'm looking for.  Since I run Red Hat for production purposes I was interested in that tree.  Fedora was my first thought as far as compatibility.  I thought I'd try Centos and so far am happy with version 3.  Thanks for the info on gentoo though.

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 02:24:28 am »

Hey plinker,

I can find no reference to it right now, but I seem to remember a "centos" that was floating around a few years back that was based on the old atheOS codebase.....
You remember anything about that?

Never heard of it, sorry.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 02:53:53 am »

I use both CentOS3 and 4 on production web and fax servers and it works fine.  I also use it for development Oracle boxes but, becaue of how Oracle support works, I buy an actual copy of ES/AS for production Oracle boxes.

What kind of stuff do you do with a "fax server"?
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 07:14:15 am »

Send and receive faxes.  Believe it or not, a lot of folks still use fax machines.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 11:52:05 pm »

Send and receive faxes.  Believe it or not, a lot of folks still use fax machines.

Oh.  I'd think of that sort of thing as being done by "fax software" and somehow had the impression that a "fax server" did something more,  or something different,  or whatever...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 01:18:10 pm »

Oh.  I'd think of that sort of thing as being done by "fax software" and somehow had the impression that a "fax server" did something more,  or something different,  or whatever...

Well, there is more involved such as cataloging the incoming faxes, distributing them, etc but that all really just part and parcel of the fax service.   I don't know what you mean by 'fax software' but if it is typical desktop stuff it's fine for a few pages a month, a week, maybe even day..   The servers I manage can take up to sixteen analog lines and handle over 2000 pages in an eight hour day at a p.01 grade of service.
--Stephen Carville

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 12:13:41 am »

Well, there is more involved such as cataloging the incoming faxes, distributing them, etc but that all really just part and parcel of the fax service.   I don't know what you mean by 'fax software' but if it is typical desktop stuff it's fine for a few pages a month, a week, maybe even day..   The servers I manage can take up to sixteen analog lines and handle over 2000 pages in an eight hour day at a p.01 grade of service.

That sure does sound like way more of a load than I'm ever contemplating having to deal with here...

I do see a need for some potential for the very occasional use of fax,  but haven't looked at it yet,  and am in no particular hurry to do so,  though it is on my list.  One of these days.
--
Pages: [1]   Go Up