The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electioneering: None of the Above  (Read 8002 times)

TryingToBeUseful

Electioneering: None of the Above
« on: December 15, 2005, 12:00:23 pm »

Ther's a mole-type (that is, in the system) idea I've had for a long time, and I thought I'd share it with the forum.

I do agree with Claire Wolfe that it is basically too late to wrok within the system.  At least to work in the traditional way.  However, running for office gets you a free/cheap soapbox to spread the message.  I think a lot like Ernest Hancock who loved to quip that he was running for Senate (he ran against John McCain), but he wasn't going to vote.  He'd say: "everyone should run for office, and no one should vote!"  Taking it a bit far perhaps, but it's funny and makes you think.

Here's the idea.  I think it would be brilliant for someone over 35 to legally change their name to None of the Above.  And then run for President on the Libertarian Party ticket.  The Libertarian Party has good ballot access if nothing else and having None of the Above on the ballot in 48-50 states would be a publicity stunt of enormous proportions.  In my infinite predictive powers, I can guarantee that such a candidate would get far more votes than any other Libertarian presidential candidate to date.  Perhaps he could get up to 5% of the vote, which would be enough to put him on the radar screen.  A significant number of people, regardless of their political affiliation, will see None of the Above on their ballots and mark it.

So, anyone up for it?

debra

Re: Electioneering: None of the Above
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 12:31:05 pm »

HA HA HA HA HA! Okay, that's just darned funny. You gotta wonder what the PTB would do if NOTA actually won!

DTOM

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 12:34:59 pm »

HA HA HA HA HA! Okay, that's just darned funny. You gotta wonder what the PTB would do if NOTA actually won!

That would never happen because every election is rigged at the get go. It would be funny though!!! :sign10:

Lightning

• Heheheh...
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 10:25:43 pm »

:laugh:  I gotta say, it's a damned clever idea.   :laugh:
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 09:52:47 pm »

I remember shortly after the fall of the Soviet Union ... I think it was the first public elections in Russia, the rules called for the ballot to contain a "none of the above" choice, so that the voters could reject all candidates. If NOTA "won", then the election would have to be held again. Don't recall if, in that circumstance, the prior candidates are prohibited from running again. IIRC, this is part of the new Russian Constitution, and might apply only to higher offices.

It was a while ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy on particulars. But I do recall how I thought, at the time I read the report, that the Russkies had one up on us.

Hah! My memory is vindicated!. And I'm going to be lazy and not look for further corroboration. After all, it's the Puerto Rico Herald, and that's good enough for me.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

dogsledder54

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 03:33:45 pm »

One election, in San francisco, of course, a member of Our Ladies of Perpetual Indulgence, Inc., a group of men who dressed in nun's outfits, got on the ballot for supervisyor. His name was Sister Boom Boom, who ran as "Nun of the Above". No shit. :laugh: But he didn't win...
http://www.thesisters.org/sistory.html

June, 1982 brought the Second Annual Dog Show in the Castro. The Sisters were joined this same year by Jeanne Dornacker and Shirley MacLaine for the first AIDS fundraiser. Pushing the political envelope, Sister Boom Boom ran under the 'Nun of the Above' ticket in the race for Supervisor of San Francisco. Amidst all of the brouhaha about whether or not she should be allowed to run, she campaigned hard, spoke eloquently, and won over 23,000 votes. Frightfully close to winning.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 03:39:06 pm by A Cell of One »

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 10:29:07 pm »

I ran for Idaho governor against a guy who changed his name to Marvin Pro-Life Richardson.  When the Sec State refused to print his 'middle name' on the ballot, he changed his name to "Pro Life".  The Sec State used "Marvin Richardson" instead of his legal name.

Pro Life chewed everybody out, told 'em they were all going to hell, pointed fingers at the audience, yelled at them, wasn't even endorsed by his Constitution Party, missed qualifing for the state-wide PBS-broadcast debate, spent almost nothing ...  and beat me 7308 to 7241.

Oh yeah, the point:  You can change your name, but the rulers may not use it if they don't want to.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

ff42

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 05:37:29 pm »

An alternative to changing one's own name is to form a political party named "None of the Above".  This label "None of the Above" will show up on the electronic voting machine as one of the alternatives for a straight party ticket.

Rules of the None of the Above party are straight forward:  An NOTA winning candidate may visit his/her office once, to shut down services, fire staff, donate office supplies to charity and lock the doors.  A NOTA winner must also promise to refrain from performing any 'official' actions, including voting, ribbon cutting etc, answering phones, reading official mail, interacting with the public, etc. and donate (after subtracting the cost of the first office visit) his/her salary to charity. 

In short, if a NOTA candidate wins the government capacity for that office is shut down.

J13

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 08:49:08 pm »

hmmmmm

NuclearDruid

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 08:37:33 am »

No "None of the Above" option for a Colorado town.

Brush might call off election

With nobody yet registered to challenge those running for seats on the Brush City Council, the council may cancel the 2009 city election.

The council will look at the issue during a regular meeting Monday evening.

The terms of Mayor Dan Scalise and council members Chuck Schonberger, Felix Acosta and Harry Rieger are all scheduled to expire this year.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover
Pages: [1]   Go Up