The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PGP & Netscape 7.0  (Read 3332 times)

oscar

PGP & Netscape 7.0
« on: February 19, 2004, 01:58:23 pm »

Greetings,
   Claire's BHM article has renewed my interest in PGP.  Will PGP integrate with the Netscape 7.0 mail client or will I have to switch to something else?  I have never used any flavor of Outlook and I have no desire to start now.

Oscar

debra

PGP & Netscape 7.0
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 02:01:58 pm »

Gosh, I have no idea. If anyone else here has experience with it, I'll let them answer. But if not, I can always check on my machine at home (which has Netscape on it).  

kbarrett

PGP & Netscape 7.0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 03:19:12 pm »

Greetings,
   Claire's BHM article has renewed my interest in PGP.  Will PGP integrate with the Netscape 7.0 mail client or will I have to switch to something else?  I have never used any flavor of Outlook and I have no desire to start now.

Oscar
There is no official support for PGP in Netscape, since the original RSA algorithm is proprietory .... but some amateur fixes exist:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hei...s/8298/Pgp.html

I havn't played with it, but it was the first PGP integration tool that poped up for Windows versions of Netscape.......

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
PGP & Netscape 7.0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 04:53:31 pm »

Well remember, ultimately one doesn't need to have plugin functionality for PGP to encrypt your messages.  If worse comes to worse, one can always do the copy to clipboard, encrypt clipboard (via the PGP tray), and then paste the encrypted clipboard contents over what you originally copied.  A few more steps than a nice efficient plugin, but its better than no encryption at all.  :D

"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

oscar

PGP & Netscape 7.0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 09:20:23 pm »

I downloaded the suggested Netscape plugin.  It says it is for version 4 or later but it apparently does not work with version 7.0 (at least as far as I can tell).  I wasn't able to google up any other plugin so I guess I'll have to do the clipboard route.
     I fired of a test message to Debra so we'll see what happens.  
     Several years ago I bought a book about PGP and tried to make some sense of it without a lot of success.  Many thanks to Claire for figuratively taking my hand and leading me through what turned out to be a very simple process.  Now all I need to do is convince some of my correspondents to use it so I'll have someone to send encrypted messages to.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 09:21:25 pm by oscar »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
PGP & Netscape 7.0
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 09:55:13 pm »

Many thanks to Claire for figuratively taking my hand and leading me through what turned out to be a very simple process.  Now all I need to do is convince some of my correspondents to use it so I'll have someone to send encrypted messages to.
Whew, Oscar. I'm so glad it helped! As to correspondents to exchange messages with, I see you've already found the PGP Keys thread. Just grab a key and encrypt away ...

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

kbarrett

PGP & Netscape 7.0
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 12:46:39 am »

I downloaded the suggested Netscape plugin.  It says it is for version 4 or later but it apparently does not work with version 7.0 (at least as far as I can tell).  I wasn't able to google up any other plugin so I guess I'll have to do the clipboard route.
     I fired of a test message to Debra so we'll see what happens.  
     Several years ago I bought a book about PGP and tried to make some sense of it without a lot of success.  Many thanks to Claire for figuratively taking my hand and leading me through what turned out to be a very simple process.  Now all I need to do is convince some of my correspondents to use it so I'll have someone to send encrypted messages to.
If you are willing to switch clients, both Eudora and Pegasus have some PGP support.

Integrating email and browser is a concept that makes my teeth itch......

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up