The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My computer does NOT like PGP  (Read 3939 times)

SilverGreen

My computer does NOT like PGP
« on: February 18, 2004, 08:13:33 am »

Or Winzip, or probably both.  I installed both last night.  They slowed down my computer, caused programs to freeze, and after rebooting at least a dozen times, I finally uninstalled them. Even that process required another four or five reboots.  I'd like to try again, but not if it's going to cause the same problems.  Any ideas on how to do this without either me or my computer having a mental breakdown?

Lois

debra

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 08:14:54 am »

What OS are you running, Lois (Windows 95, 98, XP, or -ack - ME)? Thanks!

SilverGreen

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 02:29:51 pm »

....Windows ME.... :blink:  It was pre-installed on my Dell and has prompted me, on more than one occasion, to wish for Bill Gates' testicles to rot off his body.

Lois  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 02:55:40 pm »

....Windows ME.... :blink:  It was pre-installed on my Dell and has prompted me, on more than one occasion, to wish for Bill Gates' testicles to rot off his body.

Lois 
Oh. Lois. I hate to have caused you any trouble with my article. And I defer to Debra and about half the other people on these forums when it comes to all things technoid.

But Windows ME? I used to have it, too. Also pre-installed and inflicted by a computer manufacturer (HP). And if "vibes" could make Bill's testicles drop off like overripe grapes, that boy'd have been singin' soprano, long since. And if Carly Fiorina had balls, hers would have gone, too.

The good news is that I used earlier versions of PGP (5.0 and 5.5) successfully with ME for several years. You might try one of those. (They're available from the same site where you got your other copy.) Both worked slick as all get out with ME, and 5.5 interfaced perfectly with my e-mail program (Eudora). No problem.

The bad news is: Windows ME. You're doomed. Just get another OS if you can.

Now maybe Debra can save your ME bacon ....

(Anyhow, glad to see you here.)

Claire
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 06:49:16 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

debra

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 03:16:56 pm »

Oh dear. Ummmm....gosh. I'm really sorry, but I can't help with ME at all. The few times I've interacted with it (at relatives' houses when they inevitably say, "While you're here, can you look at my computer...?"  :D ), I've had very little luck.

When I get a call about Windows ME, my first instructions are usually, "Reformat your hard drive and install Windows 98 or XP..." I hate to blame operating systems (since that's what techs do when they can't figure out a problem), but ME is very unstable.  

That said, I should repeat that I have very, very little personal experience with it. So if anyone else on the forum uses ME, can you help out??

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 03:23:50 pm »

Yes.. You'll want to upgrade to XP as soon as you can...

..I've used all the windows operating systems since 3.0, and WinME seems to be a cruel joke played upon us all by the Gates crew.

"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

kbarrett

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 05:09:08 pm »

Yes.. You'll want to upgrade to XP as soon as you can...

..I've used all the windows operating systems since 3.0, and WinME seems to be a cruel joke played upon us all by the Gates crew.
I've been able to get WinME running properly on a dual boot machine ..... the big problem with ME is that it isn't very compatable with most Win98 drivers..... but most people who put together PCs for a living aren't aware of this. There are also some win98 programs that cause a lot of grief.

Uninstall WinZIP ASAP. WinME already has support for opening ZIP archives, and is now fighting with this unneeded application. Use add/remove programs in the control panel to delete it.

If you go into add/remove programs in the control panel, and look at windows components, you can make sure that your .zip file support is undamaged. Select each item under the windows components tab, and hit the options button to see what is loaded in each category. When zip file support is properly in place, zip archives look like belted folders, and you can open them and unarchive by dragging the contents out.

I would also suggest immediatly uninstalling PGP, and re-install it using the customized install. Do NOT load PGPnet. Do load the other pieces.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 05:17:34 pm by kbarrett »
The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

debra

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 06:14:46 pm »

Bless yer soul, kbarrett.  Do you know if the 6.5.8 version of PGP works (sans the PGPNet) with ME? Or should Claire's advice to go with a lower version (5.x) be followed?

Jack Harrison

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 09:38:04 am »

You probably have a government computer. They react violently to PGP.  
Who will survive and what will be left of them?

kbarrett

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 03:05:47 pm »

Bless yer soul, kbarrett.  Do you know if the 6.5.8 version of PGP works (sans the PGPNet) with ME? Or should Claire's advice to go with a lower version (5.x) be followed?
I have no clue. The only thing I use the WinME OS partition for is Windows-based games.

If you save the install executable for both, then uninstalling and re-installing is no big deal. Just be sure to re-boot after each install or uninstall. Also, DOS based programs will have file handle and other issues in WinME ..... it is fixable ( this involves replacing system files on the HD with ones on the WinME Emergency boot floppy that behave better in DOS mode) , but you are probably better off avoiding that kettle of worms....

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 10:57:03 pm »

kbarret,

I've on many occasion tossed together an impromptu system using the system files on a win95/98 boot disk sys'd and copied to a hard disk*grin*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up