The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You Just Never Know  (Read 1696 times)

Shevek

• Liberty-Minded Fussitarian Nit-Picker
    • Simple Liberty
You Just Never Know
« on: September 21, 2005, 04:34:03 pm »

Last year I changed ISPs. At that time, I was told by the new ISP not to enable compression. My previous ISP had turned into the ISP From Hell and when I changed, the quality of service improved so dramatically with the new ISP that I plumb forgot to return to testing whether I could enable compression.

Last night while reading something unrelated, the proverbial light bulb clicked in my head and I recalled my lack of testing compression. Therefore I enabled software compression (hardware compression is disabled).

Today I notice a performance increase of almost double. So noticeable is the improvement that I had to check the dial-up monitor to see if I somehow connected at a higher speed.

I'm still stuck on dial-up, probably at least for another six months to a year, or more, but this impressive improvement certainly will keep a few more hairs on my head. :lol:

So the lesson for the day is if you are stuck on dial-up, you might want to check your configuration and see if you have enabled software compression. :thumbsup:

And this goes to show that regardless of how long we might have been around these computers, little things still slip by. :BangHead:

I hope this helps somebody.
"But there was always time for swimming and for talking, and never a time by which a task must be finished. There were no hours: only whole days, whole nights." The Children of the Open Sea, The Farthest Shore, Ursula K. Le Guin.

http://www.simpleliberty.org/   http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: You Just Never Know
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 05:19:25 pm »

Far out! Glad to hear you've increased your effective bandwidth. Not surprised that it's almost double, that being the typical compression rate of Lempel-Ziv, which is the typical compression method.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Shevek

• Liberty-Minded Fussitarian Nit-Picker
    • Simple Liberty
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 05:44:30 pm »

Yeah, the whole thing is somewhat embarrassing, which is why I added the banging head emoticon. But I also know this kind of embarassing thing happens to most of us who have been around computers a long time. I had other clues that didn't dawn on me. For example, soon after subscribing with the new ISP I noticed that emails with attachments were taking forever to send. Now, with hindsight, I know why. :mellow:

Regardless, I hope sharing my embarassment helps somebody!
"But there was always time for swimming and for talking, and never a time by which a task must be finished. There were no hours: only whole days, whole nights." The Children of the Open Sea, The Farthest Shore, Ursula K. Le Guin.

http://www.simpleliberty.org/   http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 06:01:36 pm »

Of course, software compression on the connection might cause data corruption and/or connection instability, which is why the first troubleshooting step in some cases is to disable it.  Then again, software compression actually causing problems is rare, so it's usually a pointless step to try, but I have seen it fix a problem....once.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers
Pages: [1]   Go Up