The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving/Copying PGP  (Read 3174 times)

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Moving/Copying PGP
« on: February 18, 2004, 07:47:26 am »

OK, Claire's BMH article finally got me off my duff.  

I setup PGP on my first computer & created a key pair for one of my email addresses.  I also use this address on another computer, sometimes, so I installed PGP on the other computer.  I tried exporting my public/private key & importing it into the 2nd computer.  When I tried to use it, I'm told "You do not have a digital ID." & I cannot send it.  

I then tried to copy my keyring from one to the other & got the same results.

Any ideas?

===============================
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
- Mark Twain

There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

debra

Moving/Copying PGP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 08:12:55 am »

Are you using OE? If so, I think I know the problem. With OE, when you compose a message, Microsoft has "helpfully" added an encryption feature, which uses their technology (digital ID).  You might be pushing their encryption button.  

If you look farther to the right on the toolbar, you'll see a second button (with no icon) that says, "Encrypt (PGP)". That's the one you want to use.  (See image below)

Let me know if this helps!

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Moving/Copying PGP
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 09:37:48 am »

Debra (not only "Mistress of the Web," but "Mistress of All Things Digital"  :P ),

Yes, I do use OE.  It worked.  

Thanks for the prompt reply to a perplexing problem.  

============================
Definition of an elephant - A mouse built to government specifications.  
-Robert A. Heinlein

There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

Jack Harrison

Moving/Copying PGP
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 01:26:38 pm »

Are you using OE? If so, I think I know the problem. With OE, when you compose a message, Microsoft has "helpfully" added an encryption feature, which uses their technology (digital ID).  You might be pushing their encryption button.  

If you look farther to the right on the toolbar, you'll see a second button (with no icon) that says, "Encrypt (PGP)". That's the one you want to use.  (See image below)

Let me know if this helps!

OK, you're rapidly becoming one of the coolest people I don't know. Let's see what I know about you....female, redhead, liberty lover, security saavy, AND knows how to use a paint program..

boy do I love redheads...they've caused me SO much trouble in life, worth every minute.
Who will survive and what will be left of them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up