The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: PGPCoaches  (Read 12576 times)

libertynews

PGPCoaches
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2004, 07:31:06 pm »

I'm hampered in the anon remailer department, though. I tried some experiments, way back in the days of anon.petit.fi and Private Idaho, and nothin' worked. It still looks as if this whole area is too fraught with geekiness for the average non-geek.

BTW, I sent an info request to remailer-help@libertynews.org. It bounced.  :(

But anon remailing may be worth a thread of its own if you care to open one.
Actually Private Idaho was a pretty good program, I think its totally outdated and unsupported these days.  Hmm, it looks like some folks have continued to update it, take a look at http://www.itech.net.au/pi/ (warning, annoying blinking html).  Also take a look at http://www.skuz.net/potatoware/ -- Jack B. Nimble is one that I've heard mentioned before.

Sorry about the bounce, I sometimes get mailing list instructions and remails mixed up. Send a message to remailer@libertynews.org with a subject of remailer-help  ;)

anonymizer.com used to be a good place to go for web anoniminity (sp!?), it was started by some of the original cypherpunks but I don't know its current status -- never having needed to use it.

The remailer interface is still a fairly 'geeky' thing, mutt has support for it included if you compile from source, but I don't know about any of the other email clients. One thing you will see is a varying time for test messages to pass through the system, remailers randomize the time it takes to send in order to prevent traffic analysis attacks. Also, some remailers are less reliable than others.

bcl
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 07:34:50 pm by libertynews »

Misfit

PGPCoaches
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2004, 01:16:21 am »

Ok...I installed PGP...set up my keys....now what?

Does this only work with e-mail programs, like Outlook? I don't have or use an ISP address, I've been using hotmail for the past 7 years and it's suited me just fine. Does this thing work with other stuff and e-mail programs are just part of this?

I just don't know if I'll be able to send my cookie recipes out.... :ph34r:

I might just have to create my own code....
ecret say ookie cay ecipe ray
ugar say
lour fay
utter bay...  

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
PGPCoaches
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2004, 03:17:48 am »

Does this only work with e-mail programs, like Outlook? I don't have or use an ISP address, I've been using hotmail for the past 7 years and it's suited me just fine. Does this thing work with other stuff and e-mail programs are just part of this?
No, you don't need anything more than you already have.  In fact, it is easier if you aren't trying to integrate encryption with a POP/IMAP mail client like Outlook.

You can encrypt messages into ASCII files, and paste them into Hotmail, or forums like this one.  

For example, pasting an encrypted message when sending a "Private Message" on this board will ensure that not even Debra can read it. (not that we don't trust her)

The ASCII encrypted gobbledygook looks like the posts in this thread:

http://www.thementalmilitia.org/clairefile...t=ST&f=12&t=636

Or you can encrypt your messages into a binary file, and send it as an attachment.

There are other things you can do with PGP, as well:

encrypt sensitive files on your hard disk
sign messages and verify digital signatures
sign files and programs, so you know they haven't been tampered with

some versions of PGP also have a "secure delete" feature to wipe out the traces that files
leave on your hard drive

Use your imagination.  And read the documentation if you want to find out how to use it effectively.

<taps on glass to see if Misfit is paying attention>
 :P
oops, what's that smudge on my monitor....

Misfit

PGPCoaches
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2004, 10:12:29 am »

Thanks Plinker,

It's starting to make some sense...I'm by no means tech-savy anymore...
Kinda got behind the times and haven't had the time or drive to catch up with all the latest stuff.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
PGPCoaches
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2004, 05:51:09 pm »

So, Claire (and others, myself included), we need to brainstorm more ways similar to this PGP coaching re-direct from Backwoods Home  to bring people (or electronic representations of their thought processes,at any rate) to this forum. Who knows, maybe even someone with a statist bent might be interested in PGP (why, I don't know, because as a statist one kinda-sorta has to subscribe to that "if'n ya ain't got nuthin' to hide" theory) and while here they may just browse around and have some liberty synapses fired. Baby-steppin', dontcha-know.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up