The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PGPCoaches  (Read 12565 times)

Misfit

PGPCoaches
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 12:02:14 am »

Example away...I'll be your guinea pig... :P
"Take for instance this clueless Misfit...see how she looks confused as she stares at her computer screen...please don't tap on the glass, you'll alarm her..."

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
PGPCoaches
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2004, 05:58:17 pm »

I am not sure what help I can be but I'll be glad to pitch in.  I've migrated to GnuPG but I still remeber some bits about getting PGP working.  FWIW here are some basic instructioin I posted for getting PGP to work with Outlook.   They may be outdated now.

http://www.heronforge.net/win-pgp/index.html
These were definitely the most lucid instructions I found for installing & using PGP with MS Outlook. Thank you for that!

But to make sure I had all my researach ducks in a row for this article, I went to that site & followed the instructions & what I found brings up a question. So anybody who can HELP HELP HELP before my deadline (Friday ... not like I can ever do things in advance, you know ...) ... HELP.

The download and install worked pretty much as those instructions said. Different filenames, different install directories. But no biggie. However, when I attempted to encrypt a message in Outlook Express, per those instructions, I got an error message that said (paraphrase) "That functionality requires a license."

I know NADA about Outlook Express. I haven't used Windows in almost two years and never used its mail programs at all. But it appears from reading the PGP documentation (even though reading documentation is against my religion) that if you don't purchase a license, then even though the PGP plugins are installed for Outlook and Outlook Express, you can't actually use them. You can only encrypt files and either attach those files or cut-and-paste encrypted text from files into your e-mails.

To use the plugins, you have to buy a $50 personal license -- bleah!

Can anybody verify whether this is true? Or am I simply screwing up someplace and not able to use the Outlook Express plugins because of user error?

Augustwest, I know you just installed PGP. Is this also why you mentioned that you're cutting and pasting, instead of encrpyting within your mail program?

Thanks to anybody who can rescue this deadline-pushing writer ...
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

debra

PGPCoaches
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2004, 07:08:02 pm »

Claire, that's true for PGP 8.x.  However, if you go to www.pgpi.com and download version 6.5.8, it works well w/ Windows XP as well as previous versions of Windows AND doesnt' require the license thingie to use in OE.  

It should be noted that "technically" version 8.0 is the only approved version for WinXP, but I've been using 6.5.8 with absolutely no problem.  However,  don't use version 7.x in XP....nasty, terrible things occur with the end result usually being a reformat.   :blink:

debra

PGPCoaches
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2004, 07:16:57 pm »

Oh, and BTW, I'm willing to help be a guinea pig for any of your audience members. Have 'em email dricketts AT theclairefiles DOT com.  Assuming my TCF email's working that day. <_<  

My public key is below:

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
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=terR
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Augustwest

PGPCoaches
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2004, 07:26:36 pm »

Augustwest, I know you just installed PGP. Is this also why you mentioned that you're cutting and pasting, instead of encrpyting within your mail program?

Howdy Ms. W. Don't have a mail program to encrypt in. But cut me some slack - I just moved from an abacus to one of this infernal digital boxes a coupla days ago.  :D  
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
PGPCoaches
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2004, 07:50:06 pm »

Claire, that's true for PGP 8.x.  However, if you go to www.pgpi.com and download version 6.5.8, it works well w/ Windows XP as well as previous versions of Windows AND doesnt' require the license thingie to use in OE.  

It should be noted that "technically" version 8.0 is the only approved version for WinXP, but I've been using 6.5.8 with absolutely no problem.  However,  don't use version 7.x in XP....nasty, terrible things occur with the end result usually being a reformat.   :blink:
Ah, bless you for this, Debra. This may answer all my questions.

And Augustwest, you could probably make good money selling that used abacus on eBay.  ;)  
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

enemyofthestate

• Banned
PGPCoaches
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2004, 08:52:59 pm »

These were definitely the most lucid instructions I found for installing & using PGP with MS Outlook. Thank you for that!

But to make sure I had all my researach ducks in a row for this article, I went to that site & followed the instructions & what I found brings up a question. So anybody who can HELP HELP HELP before my deadline (Friday ... not like I can ever do things in advance, you know ...) ... HELP.

The download and install worked pretty much as those instructions said. Different filenames, different install directories. But no biggie. However, when I attempted to encrypt a message in Outlook Express, per those instructions, I got an error message that said (paraphrase) "That functionality requires a license."

I know NADA about Outlook Express. I haven't used Windows in almost two years and never used its mail programs at all. But it appears from reading the PGP documentation (even though reading documentation is against my religion) that if you don't purchase a license, then even though the PGP plugins are installed for Outlook and Outlook Express, you can't actually use them. You can only encrypt files and either attach those files or cut-and-paste encrypted text from files into your e-mails.

OK, I see from later posts that 8.x requires a license (welcome to your future with Microsoft :-).  I wrote those instructions for a client about two or three years ago by sitting in front of one of his machines and writing down each step I took to complete the install.  IIRC, it was either NT or W2K.  At that time 7.03 was the latest version.

I guess I had better take out the link :-(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 08:53:33 pm by enemyofthestate »
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
PGPCoaches
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2004, 08:59:44 pm »

to complete the install.  IIRC, it was either NT or W2K.  At that time 7.03 was the latest version.

I guess I had better take out the link :-(
Oh, no! I dont' think you have to take out the link! Just tell people which earlier versions your instructions work with, and warn them that if they go for 8.x, they'll have to pay and pay and pay. All the earlier versions are still available at that link, from the look of it. I'll go check ...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 09:00:25 pm by Claire »

debra

PGPCoaches
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2004, 10:02:49 pm »

Don't use 7.03 w/ XP though!  I had to reformat, and reformat, and reformat.....  Of course, that's my answer to pretty much every computer problem.  :lol:  

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
PGPCoaches
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2004, 10:14:44 pm »

Oh, no! I dont' think you have to take out the link! Just tell people which earlier versions your instructions work with, and warn them that if they go for 8.x, they'll have to pay and pay and pay. All the earlier versions are still available at that link, from the look of it. I'll go check ...
Actually, you only need to pay for 8.x to use the email plugins.  You can still use the little PGP tray thing to simply 'encrypt window contents' or cut and then 'encrypt clipboard' and then paste back into your mail program of choice.  

edit:
Doh, I just skimmed back and saw you already know this... silly me.

I think 8.x is the easiest to use... Even if you don't have email program direct-functionality without a license.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 10:16:06 pm by mantispid »
"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
PGPCoaches
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2004, 10:43:57 pm »

One of the things I like about PGP is that even if the person I'm sending e-mail to doesn't have PGP, I can still encrypt a message with a password that they can type in to decrypt it.  This might be a good place to use that "tricky password tip" of using the letters from the first several words on a certain page of a book you both enjoy.  

'Course, the password would have to be worked out ahead of time, and preferably in person, to be very secure.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 10:45:04 pm by Nedda of the Hill »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
PGPCoaches
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2004, 11:01:55 pm »

One of the things I like about PGP is that even if the person I'm sending e-mail to doesn't have PGP, I can still encrypt a message with a password that they can type in to decrypt it.  This might be a good place to use that "tricky password tip" of using the letters from the first several words on a certain page of a book you both enjoy.  

'Course, the password would have to be worked out ahead of time, and preferably in person, to be very secure.
Hello, Nedda of the Hill. You (that is, your handle) were quite the topic of conversation in one of the threads the other day. Did you catch that?

But back to this thread ... I'm having a DUH moment here. Your friend who doesn't have PGP can decrypt a file, just by having the password? That's a new one on me. The latest version of PGP I used before switching to Gnu Privacy Guard was 5.5. So maybe this is a more recent development?

Or maybe I'm dumber than I think? (It's possible ...)  :blink: b

enemyofthestate

• Banned
PGPCoaches
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2004, 11:31:18 pm »

OK, I added a warning.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
PGPCoaches
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2004, 12:51:09 am »

My public key is below:

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

[SNIP]
Debra,

Can you set up a dedicated forum to post PGP public keys to?  Or maybe a "special" thread.

It might be kinda nice to have them all in one place.

Junker

PGPCoaches
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2004, 01:03:31 am »

I'm here too. WindowsXP & PGP 6.5.8 on one box, Suse Linux 8.0 on the other two.

junker [Now an 'at' sign] rlmcom {Now a period or 'dot'} com

As I can help, I will.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up