The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hushmail  (Read 1991 times)

Phil Carson

Hushmail
« on: July 14, 2005, 08:09:41 pm »

Hushmail : http://www.hushmail.com/

Is this still as good as it gets for a free Web based email account?

I had an account - and let it lapse while I was out of pocket.

Yes I know there have been threads about encryption , I read those and Clair's works. I used the Search function too.

New guy [ yours truly] started a new thread because others may have missed those , and  others may be in the situation I am in.

I have to use Windows while at College.  So I use IE and all that stuff I do not at home,while at school...let it goof up the School's stuff I say.

I spent 35 yrs doing something and then decided to attend College...taking IT of all things. Not to this part yet per se'.  Doing the Cisco stuff , and learning about cables, cussing Access, and will be cussing routers and other fun stuff this fall.

Phil
If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them. - Basuto Proverb

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
Hushmail
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 05:45:42 pm »

Hushmail is about as easy as encrypted email gets.  I especially like that the "new" (as of a couple years ago) version interoperates with GPG and PGP.

It is great if you have non-crypto-propellerhead friends.  The "free" accounts work fine for most purposes if you/they are willing to check email at least every 3 weeks.   While there is good reason to be wary about whether the hushmail admins or the NSA have a backdoor to read your mail, it is much, much, much better than sending everything in the clear on Gmail or Hotmail.  

I had one of the free accounts for years, but eventually abandoned it because I gave it out in too many places and it became a Spam-magnet.  I am not sure if their Spam protection has improved since then.  Hush did have an "allow only encrypted mail" feature, which will kill 99.995% of the spam if you only want to use the account for secure communication.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 05:51:40 pm by Plinker-MS »

rayray

Hushmail
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 12:58:02 am »

I've used Hushmail and it works as far as I can tell.  Be sure you don't send anything personal though.  If an emergency, use it and be satisfied even if "criminals" have also chosen it as their email of choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up