The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I Got Real Bad computer Problems Here  (Read 9399 times)

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
I Got Real Bad computer Problems Here
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2004, 02:54:55 am »

I'm having a really hard time understanding why when someone states flat out that he is computer illiterate and is having a difficult enough time with windows and Internet Exploder that someone would try to push Linux on him.  For chrissakes are you a sadist or something?
No, Ragnar, I'm not a sadist.

I've just quit being a masochist.  

And trying to debug mysterious Win98/IE crashes remotely with a non-geek on the other end , who has a dial-up connection that won't stay up long enough (4-6 hours?) to download the latest version of IE, is 180-proof distilled masochism.

I know,  I've done it before.  (too) Many times.

Much better to give simple instructions like:

Insert Knoppix CD
Reboot computer
Click on Mozilla

(Ok, ok, so you also have to setup kppp to dial your ISP -- hopefully its not AOL or MSN -- but that's about it)

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2004, 05:55:38 am »

[ Plinker, I really appreciate the generous offer. But I think it might be premature for me to try something like that. Let me sleep on it, okay? To tell the truth, I'm not sure I could figure out what to do with the CDs. Also, I don't know if I'll even be able to send or receive PMs anymore. I just got closed down twice while trying to post this response to you here. (Maybe it will work this time.) I know I can't access my e-mail account anymore. Nor from here at home anyway. I guess I could go to the public library. I need to go lie down for a while now.

Lox
Lox,

My offer of Linux CD's still stands, but I think the best immediate course of action for you is to find a computer-savvy person out in "meatspace" and get him/her to lay hands on your computer.

Too bad I don't know where you can find that help. Long-distance troubleshooting can only accomplish so much.

You could also procure another computer if it is within your means.

Good luck.

H.M. WoggleBug, T.E.

• DuckBites®
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2004, 02:10:12 pm »

I do software engineering for a living, and I'd have to agree that I wouldn't switch operating systems in the middle of troubleshooting this problem.

First, if the hardware is older than 3 years or so, the current Linux distributions may not have the appropriate drivers and cause problems. Also, certain sound cards and chips MUST be run under Windows because they rely on libraries not present in Linux. My own laptop is such a computer.

Of course, it IS possible to get sound, but the route is so roundabout and couter-intuitive that I didn't bother myself, and certainly wouldn't recommend it to the faint hearted.

I would go ahead and find a local guru to get it running on its original OS - 95, 98, ME, -whatever. THEN use the appropriate diagnostic tools to see if the drive or hardware has issues. This shouldn't cost you more than $100.

As a side note, I program for Linux, OSX, MacOS, vxWorks, Java, and Win32.

'Bug  
Take care of the means, and the end will take care of itself.

kbarrett

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2004, 05:35:53 pm »

I appreciate your attempt to help, and I'm sorry for wasting your time. I don't know enough about a computer to follow even rather simple directions. I just don't speak the language. I don't even know the proper terminology or nomenclature to describe what's happening. I'm glad I was at least able to log on here this time tonight, though.

Lox
The solutions we were suggesting don't require an expert.

With knoppix, you just insert the CD, turn on the PC.

Get me an address, and I'll mail you a cd and a phone number. I'll walk you through setting up the dial-up stuff if you need it. You don't even need to install it to make it work, you can return to your broken Win98 setup simply by removing the CD and restarting.

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2004, 06:01:35 pm »

I'm with Ragnar, you guys are nuts. LR said she's computer illiterate AND she had to think hard about a $29.95 fee in one post. Do something USEFUL for chrissakes, and get past the OS war mentality. <snort> I'd like Linux well enough if I hadn't been using Solaris for serious work for.... gawd, 8 or 9 years, but I sure as heck would NEVER try to get somebody who is having this much trouble to switch horses in mid-stream. Bozhe moi.

LR - can you still access your CD for sure? Any one of us could download the IE file you need, which I have to concur has a damn good chance of fixing things. Then just burn a CD and ship it to you so you don't HAVE to eff around with balky downloads. Wouldn't hurt to include a few other things on the CD. Shoot, even a Linux distro if you're game, but like somebody said - get the Win '98 straightened out FIRST so you got a working 'puter. For obvious reasons I might not be the best choice, kinda got other things on my mind, and a slow connection on top of that. But if you wanna go this way, and nobody else steps up to the plate, I'll dive right in and help you out.  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

ladylearning

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004, 08:41:59 pm »

For obvious reasons I might not be the best choice, kinda got other things on my mind, and a slow connection on top of that. But if you wanna go this way, and nobody else steps up to the plate, I'll dive right in and help you out.
I'm not the best choice either since I'm only about one notch above Lox on the "computer for dummies" scale but I can do a download of IE to disk on an honest to gawd PC that I can get my hands on. (not this Mac thing, I can't do much more than mumble WTF! and punch the keys harder)
Lox, if you can power up to Windows and access your applications other than your ISP (internet service provider) then it's probably a sick Internet Explorer and dumping it and re-installing may fix ya right up.
Someone once told me that I'd look a hell of a lot better in a slinky red dress than my old fuzzy sweats but I figured I'd have to get nekkid and clean up first.  
So we got to get you nekkid and clean you up... and things will look a lot better.  
Lemme know...
 :rolleyes:

LL

kbarrett

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2004, 12:16:07 am »

OK ... OK, I'll stop trying to push LINUX........

Actually .... it's looking a lot like just plain old spyware, although you may also have picked up the mydoom virus. If you want to salvage your copy of windows, I have burned a copy of ad-aware to a cdrom..... you can use that to kill any spyware. Hit the PM button on this message and tell me where to mail it.

If you have picked up a virus, then you should probably purchase some anti-viral software and use it to scrub the stuff off your PC. The various anti-virus packages are not free, but the better ones will scrub off  spy/ad ware as well.

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2004, 12:45:52 am »

and get past the OS war mentality. <snort>
[mischief mode]

http://members.cox.net/clyqz/mac.swf

[/mischief mode]

Sometimes I just can't help throwing gasoline onto a fire.

"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2004, 01:28:57 am »

Laddie, I was a consultant for quite a few years. One of my clients had Macs in their art department. You do not truly begin to loathe Macs until you have to support and troubleshoot them. Though they are a LOT better now that the OS is more or less unix.  

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2004, 06:35:38 am »

and get past the OS war mentality. <snort>
[mischief mode]

[/mischief mode]

Sometimes I just can't help throwing gasoline onto a fire.
Holy shit I'm fucking crying over here.  That's making the rounds at work today...guarantee it.

We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

ladylearning

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2004, 05:34:37 pm »

Way funny, and just about dead on perfect best I can tell.  Of course Mac types wouldn't crack a smile so I better keep this to myself and not share it with the owner of this borrowed Mac. Knowing her she'd love to point out that my PC happens to be out of commission at the moment and her lovely teal colored Mac is getting my ass on line.
Nope, better leave well enough alone.
 &lt;_&lt;

LL

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2004, 06:22:24 pm »

Nope, better leave well enough alone.
 &lt;_&lt;

LL
Thus proving how much wiser than the rest of us you are.  :lol:  So, is anybody helping LR out, or do I need to begin the process of downloading IE to burn a CD?

ladylearning

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2004, 10:40:51 pm »

Thus proving how much wiser than the rest of us you are.  :lol:  So, is anybody helping LR out, or do I need to begin the process of downloading IE to burn a CD?
Wisdom visits me from time to time... if I remember to invite it in.  
I don't know Hunter, I see that Lox hasn't been back around (on this thread) and don't know if he ever sent his address to anyone on a PM.
It was kind of you to offer but I can certainly handle it if he manages to send his addy.  Simple as it may be, it's one less thing for you to deal with.

LL

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2004, 11:46:02 pm »

I hearya, wisdom and I pass each other in the night once in a while. <grin> I shall leave LR in your capable hands unless'n somebody PMs or emails me otherwise.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2004, 03:26:02 pm »

seeings how Mac switched over to a unix based system and it resurrected them from the dead or dying, one would wonder how long it'll be before microsoft also does the same.......
Yet I suspect that before microsoft does "the nasty" they'll have to find a way to get viruses and other malware to run under unix so as to protect all those poor starving antivirus software writters financial futures....and for that matter they'd have to figure out some way to allow themselves to force-install "upgrades" that break your system from time to time as well*L*
After all.....some of the most costly to repair problems in the computer software industry haven't been written by some kid that goes by some 3133t haxor handle....but instead by folks that really should know better.....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up