The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I Got Real Bad computer Problems Here  (Read 9481 times)

Loxosceles_Reclusa

I Got Real Bad computer Problems Here
« on: February 03, 2004, 04:41:11 pm »

:(  Ever since an invasion of some sort of trojans or spyware or malware or whatever late Saturday-ealy Sundy, I have either been unable to connect to ther Internet at all, or, since getting reconnected, unable to navigate normally. Just today I have been shut down by the same, monotonous error message, and had to restar every time, over and over and over, at least a hundred times. I've run Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Spy-Bot, SpyWareBlaster, Registry Cleaner, and Ad-Aware several times today, and they all say my computer is completely clean. The problem seems to be something -- missing files -- that *should* be there, but *aren't* (or not anymore, anyway), rather than anything being in there that *shouldn't* be. Something called PcDocRxOnCall gave me a free scan, and found a boat-load of *missing* files, and guaranteed it could fix everything for $29.95. I can't afford that, but I was desperate enough to bite the bullet and pay 'em for the cure -- but the same damn Error message has shut me back down again, on each and every one of the 20 or more tries I've made to order the PcDocRxOnCall fix. So I guess that ain't in the cards.

I guess I'll be absent a *lot* more for the foreseeable future. If anyone misses me, they may rest assured that I'm more unhappy about it that they are. But the sad truth is that I have almost zero computer skills. I mean I am about as far from being any sort of *programmer* or "hacker" as some pygmy in the Amazon jungle who goes around shooting poison blowdarts at monkeys in the trees for a living is. I never even touched a computer before about three years ago, indeed, never had the slightest interest in doing so before then, and I have never had a single lesson, or ever found a manual I could make any sense of, and I may justly be considered computer illiterate for all practical purposes. Hell, I can't even touch-type. I hunt-and-peck everything out with two clumsy fingers. So pardon the typos, as I can't see what I'm typing as it goes up on screen. I have to go back and *try* to proof-read it later, but I can't see very well, and I'm not very good at it.

Well, I don't know when I'll be able to come back. I just hope *this* will post for a change. (For everything I've managed to post today, there have been at least a dozen failed previous attempts.)

Till whenever, y'all,

Lox  :(  

rick

• http://www.frankenrangers.org
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 04:48:11 pm »

lox, it looks as if you are due for a reinstallation. Sounds worse than it is. Maybe it works if you just try to defragment your hard drive. There is a nice device called "WinInBlack4gold" that can even help a digital analphabet like me to repair a windows installation. Don't give up!
rick

I bear no hate against a living thing I just love my freedom all above the King

debra

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 05:20:55 pm »

Lox, you might try (if you haven't already), firewalling your system. I had a problem with an "RPC-Dcom" error in my office. What was happening was a security hole in Windows ( :o  No way!) was allowing hackers to scan for a certain open port. If you were connected and they happened to scan across you, they could use this hole to install a trojan. It was all automated, so I could be online for 1-10 minutes, and then suddenly I was shutting down.

I had to firewall the system before I could stay up long enough to download the patch for the hole.  

Love ya, Bill G. Really.

-----

I was just bragging to Claire about how I had been slipping from using Linux to Windows more and more (I have a dual boot system, since I need Win for work), so I bit the bullet, moved all my non-work crap over to the linux side. Now I *have* to used Linux for my email, etc.  Sometimes you gotta be tough with yourself...  ;)  

Mac the Knife

• TAN$TAAFL
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 08:08:41 pm »

It would help if you could tell us what the error message says, when it happens, and what application you are using when it does. With this information a lot of us here could probably give you some idea of what is wrong. <_<

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable."~H.L. Mencken

First Freedom Outlaw Brigade Merchandise Store

Loxosceles_Reclusa

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 11:00:31 pm »

, Mac, it says something like "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience, blah, blah." I'm not sure what you mean by application. It just seems to happene every few minutes whenever I make any sort of move online. It's not real consistent, but it often happens when I try to go from one forum or even one thread to another. Sometimes it happens when I first try to log on to this or other message boards, or when I try to post, and sometimes it happenes when I log off, or try to. Sometimes I'll have to completely restart six or eight times in just a few minutes.

I've been trying off and on for six or seven hours to order the seven-day 'cure" from something called "PcDocRxOnCall (whose free scan said it found 169 problems), and so far the error message has appeared and I've been closed down every single try (thirty or so tries, I think).

SpyBot, SpyWareBlaster, Ad-Aware, Registry Cleaner, and the latest version of CWShredder all say my computer is completely clean at the moment.

I spent about three hours today running the computer's own "disc-scan" or "scan-disk" or whatever that's called, and when it finally finished it said it found *no* errors. Then I spent aboput another ninety minutes defragmenting my hard drive. Then I tried to websurf again, and for a few minutes it seemed almost like normal, but then it started closing me down with the error message every few minutes. I'm pretty much baffled. People have been telling me to "reformat." But I don't really know how to do that, and I'm very far from convinced that's necessary or even agood idea. I suspect this is some really elementary thing like something in some folder being checked when it shouldn't be or vice versa.

Well, I hope the foregoing gives you some idea. I'm sure all out of ideas.

Lox

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 11:54:42 pm »

Sounds to me like one of IE's key files got corrupted somehow.  Unfortunately, IE is pretty much part of Windows XP... hmm.. I don't see that you said what OS you are running... what OS are you running?

"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

Mac the Knife

• TAN$TAAFL
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 12:36:52 am »

, Mac, it says something like "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience, blah, blah." I'm not sure what you mean by application.
It does sound like one or more of the files or dll's (dynamic link library) that Internet Explorer uses is corrupted. This is easily fixed by reinstalling IE, or reinstalling your operating system which will reinstall IE with it. If you do not have your installation CD for Windows you can always download the latest version of IE 6.0 SP1here. Then visit Windows Update to get the latest patches and fixes for IE, one which was just released on Feb. 2nd. You do check for critical updates every day, don't you. :rolleyes:

An application is a program you run like IE or Microsoft Word.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 12:37:31 am by Mac the Knife »

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable."~H.L. Mencken

First Freedom Outlaw Brigade Merchandise Store

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 12:49:36 am »

Lox,

Send me a private message with a mailing address, and I will mail you some Linux CD's.

Knoppix, for you to test drive

and Mandrake if you decide to commit .

<Edited to add>

You can also order the CD's from http://www.cheapbytes.com or just download the ISO files yourself and burn them to CD.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 02:12:09 am by Plinker-MS »

enemyofthestate

• Banned
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Augustwest

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 06:32:33 am »

Lox - We've had similar problems on a computer at work recently, and in the past the answer was reinstalling the OS, which unfortunately, is Windows. Not hard to do, and my computer skills come from the Nedd Ludd Technical Institute.

Won't help you now, but for future reference, I've usually downloaded as second browser to have as a backup in case IE punks out.
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

kbarrett

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 12:33:30 pm »

Lox,

Send me a private message with a mailing address, and I will mail you some Linux CD's.

<Edited to add>

You can also order the CD's from http://www.cheapbytes.com or just download the ISO files yourself and burn them to CD.
Yeee Hawww......  time for OS holy wars......

Actually, knoppix and its children can be installed just fine on the PC's hard drive. I wouldn't use Mandrake ... it's a poor copy of RedHat, IMO.

PM me a mail drop address ... I'll send you a copy of Morphix, my personal favorite LINUX distro.

It even has an "Install to Hard Drive" icon on the desktop.

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

Loxosceles_Reclusa

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2004, 09:53:34 pm »

Sounds to me like one of IE's key files got corrupted somehow.  Unfortunately, IE is pretty much part of Windows XP... hmm.. I don't see that you said what OS you are running... what OS are you running?

Mantispid, I've got Windows 98. Or I did have it. I don't know what I've got now.

Lox

Loxosceles_Reclusa

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2004, 10:18:40 pm »

, Mac, it says something like "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience, blah, blah." I'm not sure what you mean by application.
It does sound like one or more of the files or dll's (dynamic link library) that Internet Explorer uses is corrupted. This is easily fixed by reinstalling IE, or reinstalling your operating system which will reinstall IE with it. If you do not have your installation CD for Windows you can always download the latest version of IE 6.0 SP1here. Then visit Windows Update to get the latest patches and fixes for IE, one which was just released on Feb. 2nd. You do check for critical updates every day, don't you. :rolleyes:

An application is a program you run like IE or Microsoft Word.

Thanks, Mac, I followed the link you provided last night. It seemed to be working until a window opened asking me if I wanted to go ahead or something like that, and when I clicked on yes or download or whatever ... the error message appeared again and I was closed down again. This was repeated several times last night.

I tried again earlier this afternoon, and that time I actually got connected to the site, and actually started the download or installation of the new system. Or so I thought. I sat there for maybe 10 minutes looking at a new window that had opened which said something like "Please wait. Initializing setup." So I went and prepared a meal and ate it and cleaned up after it, which consumed almost another hour. I thought surely the setup would have been initialized by then. But it was still just sitting there doing nothing.

So I moved the cursor off the window and clicked off to one side of it, so that I could read the text that had been behind or under it. Immediately the dial-up window opened and started reconnecting. Evidently it had been offline for some considerable time. I clicked to one side of that too, and the formwerly concealed text said something about "Third-party download managers (such as NetZip, GetRight, etc.) intercept the download and cause the installation to stop. To prevent this, disable third-party download managers before running the setup file. Then I tried to start all over and -- whaddayaknow -- the error message reappeared and I was shut down and had to restart the computer yet again.

Even if that had not happened, I have no idea if I have any first-, second-, or third-party download managers, whatever those are, nor how to even find out if I do, let alone disable them. Nothing else I've tried today has helped at all either. Oh, I tried and found out that I can't even check my e-mail anymore; *every* time I try I get the error message and get closed down. I'm not feeling very well just now and I don't think I want to mess with trying to straighten out this gizmo anymore tonight. I feel about as worn out and downcast as if I had been sitting beside someone's death bed all night.

Wait, though: someone on another board said I should "reformat the hard drive." I don't even know what that means, much less how to do it. He said something about a "recovery disk," which seems to be involved somehow. I rooted around and found something that *says* it's a recovery disk, but I have no idea what to do with it.

I really am grossly ignorant about what makes a computer go. There's almost no way to exaggerate how bad it is. It always taxed my computer skills almost to the limit just to get the darn thing powered up and to browse the web and to visit and post on message boards like this one. It took me the longest time to learn how to post links to things. I never wanted or tried to do anything too fancy with the computer. However, I've grown rather accustomed to browsing the web and participating on this and a few other message boards, and I'm going to miss it. It meant a lot to me. Too much, I guess.

I appreciate your attempt to help, and I'm sorry for wasting your time. I don't know enough about a computer to follow even rather simple directions. I just don't speak the language. I don't even know the proper terminology or nomenclature to describe what's happening. I'm glad I was at least able to log on here this time tonight, though.

Lox

Loxosceles_Reclusa

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2004, 10:26:02 pm »

Lox,

<Edited to add>

Plinker, I really appreciate the generous offer. But I think it might be premature for me to try something like that. Let me sleep on it, okay? To tell the truth, I'm not sure I could figure out what to do with the CDs. Also, I don't know if I'll even be able to send or receive PMs anymore. I just got closed down twice while trying to post this response to you here. (Maybe it will work this time.) I know I can't access my e-mail account anymore. Nor from here at home anyway. I guess I could go to the public library. I need to go lie down for a while now.

Lox

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2004, 10:55:34 pm »

I'm having a really hard time understanding why when someone states flat out that he is computer illiterate and is having a difficult enough time with windows and Internet Exploder that someone would try to push Linux on him.  For chrissakes are you a sadist or something?

At the moment, I don't have opportunity to find any, but I will check later or maybe someone else has links at hand.  What you need is a download manager that will keep track of the download and if you get disconnected it will pick up where you left off.  Don't try to run the install from the link, download the install file - and tell it where you want it to save the file so you know where it gets put - then run the install from the downloaded file which you can do offline.

You actually might want to take the opportunity to change from IE to something like Opera, which is free if you don't mind the ad banner and installs relatively quickly and won't take over your computer and executes pretty well.

There is also Mozilla, which I haven't tried but plan on doing that later tonight.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 11:05:51 pm by RagnarDanneskjold »
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up