The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Laws Of Futility (Part One: State Of The Union  (Read 6343 times)

George Potter

The Laws Of Futility (Part One: State Of The Union
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:32:00 pm »

Chapter One: Home To Roost

-CHICAGO-

It's the morning rush on the Chicago freeway, and the asphalt veins that feed the not yet awakened city are clogged with a million tons of metal, plastic, glass and people.

Jams happen, little knots of anger and frustration, as other lanes flash by at close to  a hundred miles per hour. Tired and still groggy drivers navigate in blind habit and routine, driving one handed while the other clutches a styrocup of hot black coffee. It's the age of the geosynch nav car and the comtrolled digisat traffic routing, but for all the remote drives and safety features and taxpayer funded computer control lanes, most folks still only trust their own hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

"It's a great shame." remarked an exasperated Sen. David Willis of Nebraska, only the day before. "that the expense and effort of the Safe Lanes Initiative is being wasted by a populace fearful of an utterly benevolent technology."

That basic monkey instinct will save hundreds this morning.

Not Carla O'Neill, though. She'll be saved by the bother of a flat tire.

"Goddamit!" Carla muttered as she felt the bump and unmistakable thumping that meant her left rear tire was flat and the rim riding the road. She flicked on her hazard lights and slowed, making her careful way into the breakdown lane. She cursed again under her breath. She was already late for work, and this would be her third late morning in the young month and her performance review was due in a few weeks.

She was pulling the spare from her trunk, the lid raised, when the thudding boom of the first explosion slammed her back onto her ass and caused her to bite a neat little chunk from the tip of her tongue. The raised lid kept her from being blinded by the initial flash, and the bulk of the large and fuel hogging station wagon saved her from debris.

There on the ground, Carla O'Neill heard a sound she will never forget, that will haunt her dreams until the day she dies:

The sound of the arteries of Chicago developing a blood clot. The slamming roar of tons of metal intersecting each other. The white noise hiss of hundreds of panes of safety glass shattering under duress. And below it all, perhaps on some hidden psychic wavelength, the fear laden death screams of 460 people.

She staggered to her feet and stepped around her car, blood leaking from her mouth, shock and fear still numbing the wound to her tongue.

She stepped around the car and watched, helpless, as the pile up happens. As dozens of people fought desperately against the futile laws of kinetic motion. As brakes screamed like a herd of stallions led to slaughter, all centered around the harsh glare of a burning something that rages in the center of the freeway, seeming to pull the cars and trucks to it like a baleful magnet, belching black oily smoke like a pipe upthrust from hell.

When she finally pulled her eyes away and dialed 911 on her cell phone, she was sobbing, the tears flowing as freely as the blood from her mouth. Her words were choked out, and they spat red gore into the mouthpiece of the little phone.

And these are the only words she could find to say, as the calm operator attempted to soothe her:

"Ohmygodohmygodohmygod..."

Her eyes fluttered back to the ongoing death a half-mile from her, and the stink of the thing finally reached her. Dead rubber and gas. Burning transmission and brake fluids, the reek of paint boiling off overheated metal. And below it all, the sweet high stink of burning flesh.

Still muttering for a deity who had apparently glanced away, Carla O'Neill vomited and passed out, crushing her phone as she fell.

One of the lucky ones.

A view from the air, as it happens:

The semi -- a '96 model Freightliner -- explodes in two stages in the center lane just as it passes the Wacker exit. The cab goes first, a red thumping blast that acts as a primer for the larger payload in the trailer. It jackknifes viciously as it explodes, sending flaming chunks of steel and aluminum in a blistering shower over it's fellow traffic.

The pile up begins, almost majestic in it's tragic inevitability.

Those opting to travel in the Safe Lanes take the brunt of the blow. The computers controlling their vehicles barely slow as they slam them into the twisting boil of colliding metal and burning fuel. The wary drivers with eyes on the road and hands on the wheel fare better, able to swerve off, sometimes flipping their vehicles, sometimes causing smaller knots of accident, but avoiding the roasting death of the central crush.

It lasts about six minutes, the pile up. 460 people die in those six minutes, hundreds more are injured, many severely.

Fire and emergency services arrive quickly, and the general decency of humanity is shown by the fact that most of those who manage to avoid death and injury risk both to drag their fellow commuters from smashed and burning cars.

And the deeper and more evil instincts of humanity are illustrated as well, moments after the calamity, when the following statement flashes across the Internet and arrives at every media outlets doorstep:

TO THE OVERLORDS:

WELCOME TO A NEW DAY! IT'S A BRIGHT AND BEAUTIFUL DAY, FOR THE VICTIM AND THE SLAVE.

KNOW THAT THE CHICAGO INCIDENT IS BUT THE FIRST STRIKE AGAINST THE SYSTEM THAT RULES US NOW. THE SYSTEM THAT DESTROYED THE ABORIGINAL PEOPLES OF THIS LAND, THAT ENSLAVED THE AFRICANS, THAT DESTROYS THE ENVIRONMENT WITH IT'S CAPITALISTIC GREED AND LUST FOR MATERIAL THINGS. THAT EVEN NOW SLAUGHTERS OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN STRUGGLE IN FOREIGN LANDS

THIS IS THE DAY THE FIRST OF YOUR CHICKENS COMES HOME TO ROOST. YOUR DRONES AND SHEEP HAVE PAID THE PRICE FOR COMPLIANCE IN BLOOD AND DEATH.

EYES WIDE, OVERLORDS AND CATTLE! THE CHICKENS ARE ON THEIR WAY HOME!

IN DEFIANCE -

THE ROOSTING CHICKENS

-WILLMETTE-

Naria sprayed laughter as she watched the destruction unfold on the screen. After she caught her breath, and the giggles subsided, she spoke to Fillip, who was sort of her boyfriend, and mainly her dope dealer.

"I hope my fucking mom was in that shit." her tone was not angry or bitter, but airily casual, despite the fact that she truly did hope her mother was dead in the wreckage that flamed in crystal high-def on the flatscreen before her.

Fillip just grunted. The bitch was crazy, no doubt about that. But she was rich, and kind of hot if you could ignore all the shit she was pierced with. Narias face was like a portrait of a pretty fifteen year old that had been used as a dartboard, if all the darts were surreal shaped spirals and skulls and gleaming claws. In addition to dependable sex, he could count on her buying lots of good dope and sharing it with him. As a matter of fact, since he'd met her at the beginning of the year, he'd been able to ditch most of his other customers. Fillip wasn't an ambitious hustler, he just wanted to get stoned for free.

He finished the blunt off with a final twist between his lips. They went numb from the potent synthetic mesc and speed he'd laced the sticky hydro bud with. He made the speed himself, with the small but versatile chemistry lab he'd set up in his grandmothers basement. It was quality shit. Fillip took pride in his work. He dangled the blunt over the flame of one of Naria's ever present black candles,twisting it expertly to dry. He was more than a little impatient for some wake and bake.

"Your Ma ain't so bad." Filip said, and instantly regretted it. The fact that it was his honest opinion was moot.

"Fuck you!" Naria shrilled, slapping at him and missing. "She's a stupid corporate whore. A square pegger. She's a fucking drone. I hate her."

"Yeah. Sorry." Filip muttered. "I forgot." But he silently hoped that Naria's mother was nowhere near that mess he couldn't look at on the screen. She was a cheerful, tired looking  woman who had always been nice to him. She had called him once, when Naria had taken off for a few days after an argument. After he'd truthfully told her he hadn't seen her, she had cried on the phone, and he'd done his stoned best to console her. She'd told him how she'd worked her fingers to the bone to give Naria what she wanted, and how it had gotten her nothing but scorn in return. To Filip, who's father had died in Iraq when he was a little kid, and who's mother had abandoned him to smoke crack on the Southside, such things were almost mythical; like a fairy tale come true.

He never looked at Naria the same after, and sometimes felt disgusted that he put up with her.

But the bills gotta get paid. Drugs don't buy themselves.

He put fire to the end of the now dry blunt, sucked in a lungful in and held it, contemplating the burning ember as the true juice was separated from the dross in the filters of his lungs and sped up his veins to his brain. The home made speed helped the mesc hit fast. In just a few minutes the walls of reality would fade slightly and start to tell their stories.

He passed it to Naria, and forced himself to look at the screen.

God almighty. What a clusterfuck.

"I hope she's burning in there." Naria said.

Filip clenched his teeth together and said nothing. He fought the momentary urge to turn around and slap her. But the mesc hit then. The world around him started to tell stories. Patterns crawled on the walls, images began to emerge from the random.

Old Spider didn't raise his head, and Filip almost sighed in relief. Coyote and Raven seemed to rule the day. Stories crawled on the wall and he focused on them.

Naria tapped him impatiently on the shoulder. He threw up a hand and clumsily accepted the blunt.

"Tomorrow I Ascend." Naria said, and the tone of her voice told him that she'd want to fuck soon.

Coyote and Raven sang to him. Old Spider stayed quiet.

Filip knew deep in his heart that Old Spider was God. And when God spoke awful things were revealed. Coyote and Raven just told stories, and danced.

He didn't want to think about Naria's Acension.

He didn't want to hear Old Spider.

He didn't want to look at the hell on that screen anymore.

He hit the blunt and looked away. He closed his eyes.

What a fucking clusterfuck.

Filip hit the blunt again and let himself fall backwards. He gazed at the shining ember and hoped Naria's mom was safe.

Then he felt Old Spider, suddenly close. He felt his eyes pulled to the screen, and -- sure as hell -- he could see the faint trace of his outline, billowing from the smoke of the burning pile up.

Things are happening Filip, my boy Old Spider whispered in the complex patterns now crawling across the wall, and dripping down to flash cross the screen and the image it shone into his eyes.

Big shit is happening. You'd better be ready.

Filip passed the blunt to Naria and sighed.

Old Spider was always right.

George Potter

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:33:54 pm »

NOTE: This is the first half of Chapter One. I found a rather embarrasing error in the second half and have to fix it. I'll edit it in ASAP and make a note.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 11:54:20 pm »

&^%$#@!
(*&^%$#!
)(&^*^%$!
*&^%$@!
You're so &^%$#@ing good!

And PSM, looks as if you won't have to write your own, after all.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 12:24:16 am »

*Sigh*

You tell gooood stories, brother.
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:39:56 am »

Like wow man! :)

Quite an opening there. Looking forward to more.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 08:50:14 am »

Very cool!  Look forward to reading more.
Christine
Auto-Didact, Writer, and General Malcontent
http://thedeadlynightshade.com/
http://homeschooladvocate.org

Virgil

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 01:07:18 pm »

I guess this is kiss George Potter's ass day. No wonder so many have left. The guy is a aggronant fuck. If he were ever speak to me face to face the way he has over in the AR/AS thread I'd rip his arm off and beat him over the head with it!

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:17:01 pm »

Who the hell are you?  And what's an "aggronant"?
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

George Potter

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 01:22:47 pm »

I guess this is kiss George Potter's ass day. No wonder so many have left. The guy is a aggronant fuck. If he were ever speak to me face to face the way he has over in the AR/AS thread I'd rip his arm off and beat him over the head with it!

Every day is kiss George Potter's ass day for bitches like you.

cowardly lion

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 01:23:59 pm »

i'd guess that's an illiterate's way of spelling 'arrogant,' but then, that's just a guess . . . .

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

Jac

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 01:32:16 pm »

WTF?!? :blink:  
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Jac

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 02:21:33 pm »

I think someone on this board has MPD...
--PSM

debra

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 03:05:58 pm »

This post got reported, but I see it's being handled ... er ... locally. ;)

Every day is kiss George Potter's ass day for bitches like you.

Now see, George, this is why you kept getting those "Does not play well with others" remarks on your report card in elementary school...  ^_^  

George Potter

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 03:13:26 pm »

Heck, my mom expected those. She was annoyed by the 'Tends to bite.' comment. :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 03:13:48 pm by George Potter »

Jac

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 03:28:57 pm »

Ah, a flamewar addict from the cradle, huh? :D  
--PSM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up