The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Encryption for use on an iBook  (Read 8803 times)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Encryption for use on an iBook
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2005, 12:16:16 pm »

You posted two different public keys, a 1024-bit key named "Kirsten..." and a 4096-bit key named "Freida McDoodle".
That is very interesting, and I bet that's a big chunk of the problem.  After I generated the 4096-bit Freida McDoodle key via the command line (as I did with the other key), I installed and opened up GPG Keychain Access which showed them both there.  Then I was able to delete the 1024-bit key (or so I thought).  And as I recall, the only key that shows up in Keychain Access is Freida McDoodle.  I'll have to look into this more.
Well, that would certainly explain your inability to decrypt my first message. It was encrypted to a key that you've deleted. The second one should work, however.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Kirsten

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2005, 11:11:07 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:38:20 am by Kirsten »

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2005, 02:44:20 am »

Kirsten,

Any luck getting GPGMail to work?

"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

Kirsten

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2005, 11:35:24 am »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:38:36 am by Kirsten »

Kirsten

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2005, 12:16:56 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:38:47 am by Kirsten »

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2005, 12:30:00 pm »

Far out! Glad we got it working for you. Looking forward to your promised description of what was really necessary, in language that non-geeks can grok.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 12:30:15 pm by Bill St. Clair »

Kirsten

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2005, 01:14:14 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:39:02 am by Kirsten »

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2005, 04:07:53 pm »

This is going to sounds nuts, but is there an easy way to undo everything I just did to get all this stuff set up?  Can I just delete all of the GPG application folders, or will there be some other stuff hidden somewhere else?  Will my keys go away, too?

For the GUI applications that you installed by dragging or unzipping an archive, you should be able to just delete their folders. For gnupg itself, which you installed with an installer, you would have to reverse what the installer did, which is error prone. GPGMail you could probably figure out how to uninstall by reversing the "by hand" installation instructions on its web page. But that's error prone as well. I recommend getting rid of the GUI applications other than GPGMail and just writing about running the installer got gnupg itself, then reinstall the GUI programs, and write about installing and fixing GPGMail.

None of this should delete your key, but it would be a good idea to back up your key database to a floppy or a USB key. Your keys aren't accessible from the Finder, though. They're in /Users/<login>/.gnupg , where <login> is your user ID on the machine.

Kirsten

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2005, 11:53:25 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:39:19 am by Kirsten »

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2005, 05:44:39 am »

No idea off the top of my head. I have to leave for work soon, so I can't play with it now, but I'll take a look at it this evening, as soon as I can get my kids off of the PowerBook for a few minutes.

Kirsten

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2005, 03:19:09 am »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:39:32 am by Kirsten »

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2005, 06:36:17 am »

Well, I didn't modify my schedule. I lay down to read Harry Potter, and promptly fell asleep. :)

This morning, I imported a few keys from the keys thread and sent a couple of encryped messages to myself. Some things that I learned:

Importing a bad key with GPG Keychain Access doesn't give much useful information. Importing it from the command line doesn't give much useful information, either. One or two of the keys I tried from the thread wouldn't import.

If you import a key with the command line "gpg --import <file>" command, the new key won't show up in a running version of GPG Keychain Access until you import a key with it or exit and restart.

While typing a new message in "Mail" to an address with no GPG key, if you want to encrypt it, you have to click the "Signed" and "Encrypt" check boxes by hand, then select "Choose..." from the "Keys" menu, and click the check-box next to the people you want to encrypt to. This worked for me, though the only way I could verify it was to deselect myself as a recipient, send the message, and then use the command line to decrypt. It listed all the keys and said it couldn't find a private key for any of them. Decrypting with GPGDropThing just said "Error: Decryption failed".

If I imported another key after using Mail to send an encrypted message, the new key did NOT show up in the "Choose..." dialog until I quit and restarted the Mail application. This could fairly be called a bug, but it's easy to work around. Remember, closing all the windows of a Mac application does NOT quit the application. You have to explicitly choose "Quit <app>" from the application's menu or type Command-Q.

I really miss the PGP feature of encrypting, decrypting, or importing keys directly from the clipboard. Having to save imported keys to a file is a real pain. GPG Keychain Access would benefit from an "Import from Clipboard" command.

I also dislike the fact that GPG requires a public key block at the beginning of the file. I wish it would just find the blocks and process them. Then you could import all the keys on a page with select all, copy.

Dom Warren

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2005, 08:48:40 am »

:(  :(  :(  :(  I have read this whole thread this morning, and am just as ignorant now as I was an hour ago....
 :angry:  

Kirsten

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2005, 10:23:28 am »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:39:59 am by Kirsten »

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2005, 12:55:20 pm »

Strange. I'm not sure which email addresses I put in the private key I generated on the computer I've been playing with this on, so I may have sent to an address that was in a key. That computer's keyboard has just flaked out in a big way. I'll eventually try rebooting, but I'll probably have to install it on our other Mac, which I'm not eager to do at present since I've come down with a bit of a cold and want to sleep a lot today. And read Harry Potter...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up