The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Encryption for use on an iBook  (Read 9420 times)

Kirsten

Encryption for use on an iBook
« on: July 02, 2005, 08:52:37 pm »

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:23:48 pm by Kirsten »

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 11:06:58 pm »

Encryption is one of those things that I simply have yet to comprehend.  I would like to be able to:

-send and receive encrypted e-mail

-send/receive encrypted voice communications (preferably from multiple parties simultaneously) that can be recorded in real-time for use in a podcast

I have an iBook with a G3 processor, and I'm running Mac OS X Tiger.

Can anyone either explain to me (in very simple terms) how to do either of the above, or point me to some information about doing either on-line?
My experience with Apple stuff is pretty near non-existent,  there's an old IIgs out in the back of my car,  and there's a mac in my living room (only because there's no place to put it in here!) that's got a monitor and keyboard with it but is missing the mouse,  and I have *no* idea what I'm gonna do with it.

That being said,  I can tell you this -- OS/X is either linux or one of the BSD variants with Apple's proprietary GUI stuff on top of it,  so a bunch of what applies to linux is likely to work for you as well,  if you can get there from here.

Hope this is of some help...

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 06:53:27 am »

A quick google search for "gnupg macintosh" reveals Mac GNU Privacy Guard. Haven't tried it, but I'd wager that it works fine with a few quirks. PGP Desktop 9.0 is also available for the Mac, and the file and clipboard functions are free (if you consider "free" to include telling PGP your name, email, and mailing adress). I've used earlier versions of PGP on our Macs, and they worked fine. But you have to pay them if you want integration with your email application. I never use email integration on my Windoze machine, finding that the clipboard functionality suffices (and I use Gmail, for which I haven't seen any encryption integration).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 06:55:16 am by Bill St. Clair »
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Kirsten

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 10:25:42 am »

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:21:28 pm by Kirsten »

Kirsten

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 11:26:30 am »

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:21:11 pm by Kirsten »

rickb

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 12:19:56 pm »

I googled with "mac+mail+encryption+tiger"
( http://www.google.com/search?as_q=mac+mail...ncryption+tiger )

gets, for example, How to Set Up Encrypted Mail on Mac OS X

at http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003...01/20/mail.html
- - -

Perhaps that can help. It's three pages explaining the process. Good luck.

Dave Polaschek

• Dave's Picks
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 09:24:51 am »

On Tiger, there's FileVault built-in for encrypting your home directory. It may or may not stop the NSA if they want your files.

PGP (pointed to earlier in the thread) 9.0 works well, and integrates well with mail.

GPG, not as sweet of integration, but still functional.

Making your own key... launch PGP, and select "New..." from under the "Keys" menu. Walk through the process.

You make the public portion of your key available to everyone, and keep the private one to yourself. Once you've swapped public keys with someone, you can send encrypted mail. Or you can sign mail so it can't be tampered with.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 10:01:40 pm »

If all else fails, you could always try to fire up the Windows emulator that should be part of pretty much any vaguely recent Mac OS and try a Windows solution.  I can't swear that will work, having successfully avoided Macs (save 2 support calls where I was able to determine it wasn't a hardware issue, thus out of scope) since I was a Junior in high school.  

Since my experience is limited there, I probably ought to find an old junker Mac box and play with it a bit, but I have no interest in them (I like my mice to have both buttons whether they're male or female).  I'm sure this didn't help you in any way, but I had the day off work and spent the day at the range, so I figured I'd spam the board.  :)
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Kirsten

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 03:42:06 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:22:03 am by Kirsten »

securitysix

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 03:54:52 pm »

If it uses a public key, it should work.  You'll need their public key to send them an encrypted message and they'll need your public key to send you an encrypted message.  Just don't give out your private key.

If you can't find anything else that will work, you can get GPG (GnuPG), GPGMail, and more info on Mac encryption than I care to read at this website, which I found with a Google search.

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Kirsten

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 04:22:03 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:19:07 am by Kirsten »

securitysix

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 04:56:53 pm »

Well, I'll be.  That's what I get for skimming instead of reading.  Sorry.  I'm a bad, bad man.

I don't know what version of OS X you're running, but you might check out what Purdue has about using GPG on Mac OS X.  It talks about doing everything from the command line, which can suck, but they do have a step by step on how to generate your own key pairs.  They even give a link to the Mac Version of GPG, which has both GPG for 10.1.x through 10.3.x and GUI front ends for it.  

Hope that's less useless than my last post, and again, sorry.

Kirsten

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 05:21:05 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:18:22 am by Kirsten »

Kirsten

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 05:30:10 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:17:37 am by Kirsten »

Shevek

• Liberty-Minded Fussitarian Nit-Picker
    • Simple Liberty
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 05:36:07 pm »

I am experiencing that feeling of total cluelessness I felt both when trying to learn to rollerskate and when trying to figure out thermodynamics...
I do not want to hijack this thread, but Kirsten, understanding thermodynamics is easy. Thermodynamics is that field of study describing energy transfers and conversions. There are three primary laws of thermodynamics. You can find an official description of the three laws with a quick Google. Here is the meaning of those three laws:

The First Law:  You can't get anything without working for it. (You can't get something for nothing.)
The Second Law: The most you can accomplish by working is to break even. (There is no such thing as a perfectly efficient energy transfer process.)
The Third Law:  You can only break even at absolute zero. (And nothing moves at that temperature so we're all prisoners of Law No. 1 and No. 2.)
"But there was always time for swimming and for talking, and never a time by which a task must be finished. There were no hours: only whole days, whole nights." The Children of the Open Sea, The Farthest Shore, Ursula K. Le Guin.

http://www.simpleliberty.org/   http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up