The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billy The Kid In Hell  (Read 3607 times)

George Potter

Billy The Kid In Hell
« on: June 24, 2005, 01:59:59 pm »

Billy The Kid In Hell

(for RF, with thanks.)

It was a sullen hot morning in Lincoln town, the day that Billy died
in the deepest heart of a summer the likes of which no one before or since have seen
"I saw it from here," the Old Timer says, as he smoked and closed his eyes.
"Billy was fast, that's not contested - but no ones ever fast enough"
"Yeah, hellish fast - that's not contested. I'll die right here if i lie."
"But the story don't end, when he went into earth" he smiled, but his voice became rough.

The Old Timer was quiet, as if lost in thought, hair greyed and face leather rough
He told me he'd been here since the town was founded, and would be here till the day that he died
He paused so long, I thought it had happened - but he spoke and gave my thought lie
"I know cause I dreamt it, and others as well, we've spoken and know what we seen"
"You folk from the cities, your science and all - it's handy but it's just not enough"
And he looked at me hard, as if daring my smirk, but tears I'd soon see in his eyes.

"I dreamt I saw Billy a'fallin', a'tumblin' to hell, to find that the preacher didn't lie
And there in that pit, ol' Satan walked up, a grinnin' monstrosity, a burning pain to the eyes
'Billy my boy! I'm a big fan, and I've admired all your work that I've seen!'
Satan lifted the outlaw above the Lake, let him take in the vista so rough
said 'As you see boy, there's torments a plenty - all these useless fools who have died
But that's just a waste of talent like yours, and I've seen it wasted enough'

Ol' Satan took Billy, to the top of a peak, the grand vista of the wicked who'd died
faded away, replaced by a vision, of a world no human eyes had yet seen
'I show you the future, my sweet Billy boy, a future that's coming by my winkin' eyes'
And he saw city's swelling, fixing to burst, and changes that we're never enough
'We claim to give 'em freedom, and they believe us like sheep, losing truth and loving the lie
For safety's sake they cling to the easy, they give up the wild and the rough'

'So what say you Billy? I'll send you back home, let you tame these slaves in the rough
You'll have power a'plenty over men of all natures, like the kings and great men who have died
You'll be The State's gun hand, the hand on the whip, in you the power will lie!'
Billy considered, then spat on the ground, and thought about all he had seen
He smiled at ol' Satan, said 'I'm a bad man, but I respect what is free, enough
to tell you to stick it, you killer of freedom', drew fast and shot 'tween Satan eyes

Satan did roar, knocked bill a'sprawlin, brimstone did spill from his eyes
'Damn you forever! Into the lake, I'll show you an Eternity rough!'
Billy just laughed, said 'No more than I'd reckoned. But sometimes a man calls 'enough''
And so Billy was cast, into the lake, to suffer like all the wicked who'd died
But sometimes he'd still grin, knowing he chose right, and loving the look that he'd seen
On Ol' Satan's face, when his offered rejected, looked like a brat caught in a lie."

The Old timer stood up, wiped rough bleary eyes, told me he'd spoken enough.
He tamped out his pipe, said "That was no lie, I dreamt it and know what I seen"
"Billy was bad, till the day that he died, but no sort of statist was he."

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
Billy The Kid In Hell
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 02:15:13 pm »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I like that one, George...
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
Billy The Kid In Hell
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 04:21:19 pm »

Wow, you're good.

I can't quite follow the rhythm of it, and I'm not sure I'd have put the word "statist" in the grizzled old guy's mouth.  But those are quibbles.

You're sure got a voice, my friend.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

lewlew

Billy The Kid In Hell
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 04:47:38 pm »

George--

Interesting poem.  I really like the imagery you set up, and the Old Timer.  I wanted to know a bit more about the person the Old Timer was relating his story to.

The use of Satan and the offer to Billy is unique.  It was refreshing to see a "bad guy" say no to the illusion of ulitmate power.  

Thanks for sharing.

George Potter

Billy The Kid In Hell
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 12:37:59 am »

Wow, you're good.

I can't quite follow the rhythm of it, and I'm not sure I'd have put the word "statist" in the grizzled old guy's mouth.  But those are quibbles.

You're sure got a voice, my friend.
I can't quite follow the rhythm of it,

My fault. It was my first attempt at a sestina and I screwed it up. I liked it enough that I left it alone though.

and I'm not sure I'd have put the word "statist" in the grizzled old guy's mouth.

That was the punchline. I mean, hell -- if you accept the fact that he had prophetic dreams of another guys afterlife....

Harleqwin

Billy The Kid In Hell
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 07:46:26 am »

I liked it.  Very appropriate.
I have always thought that if there IS a hell, and I end up in it, I am going to prove the point of NO RULES...after all, if I break the rules down there, what could possibly happen to me that could be any worse than what I've allready got??  

Such a strange belief, that of an afterlife.

break DA rules again, and again, and again, ad infinitum.
The 'ideal' America praised by so many is nothing more than smoke from the propaganda machine. At best it is an idealized abstraction, at worst a wall to rational thought -IKDR

"But there's nothing wrong with me,   This is how I'm supposed to be,   In a land of make believe,   That don't believe in me"
"To find what you believe,   And I leave behind,   This hurricane of fucking lies,    I lost my faith to this,   This town that don't exist" - Green Day
Pages: [1]   Go Up