The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Secure Computer System  (Read 3307 times)

Bear

• Curious Bear
A Secure Computer System
« on: December 18, 2003, 05:03:34 pm »

Folks,

Last month or so we were talking about ways to obtain/build a secure computer system.
Mandrake has created one inadvertantly. This system boots from a CD-ROM and keeps
all of the user's personal data on a removable USB key. Mandrakes attitude is that it
allows folks to use Linux without having to commit to installing it.

Article is in Linux Today: http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/20031...121802626NWMDSW

Price will be about $19.90. I imagine that doesn't include a USB key. Latest prices (around
here) for a plug in USB memory device is about $80 for 256 MB.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
A Secure Computer System
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 05:28:56 pm »

Yeah but Bear, chances are ones personal configuration settings could be stored on a 2 meg USB memory device and have room to spare for some email.
I know I've built floppy systems(a single floppy) and after building and transfering the image files(kernel and gunzipped root image) to be loaded into a ramdisk, I've had room enough to spare to include a read/write directory containing both ones configuration files(which can be edited and saved) and the root directory for the webserver  that was loaded into the ramdisk.

I'm sure that the folks at Mandrake will either include a small USB "key" or give directions on building and using a "key" via a floppy.

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Bear

• Curious Bear
A Secure Computer System
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 05:47:42 pm »

Zoot,

That's even better! Point is that the tech is available now, and cheaply.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Scarmiglione'

A Secure Computer System
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 07:45:10 am »

Thanks for posting this.  My Christmas wish list just changed.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
A Secure Computer System
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 09:51:07 am »

If you want to see what all the fuss is about, you can download the "release candidate" version of Mandrake Move for free.

go to

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/

click on the download link, download the .ISO file from one of the mirrors, and burn the ISO to a blank CD using your favorite CD-burner software.

I've played with it a bit.  Haven't tried the USB key feature, or encrypted filesystems yet but I have used those features on a box running Mandrake 9.1.

Another alternative (that I haven't yet tried, but know people who are very satisfied with it) is  Knoppix:

http://www.knoppix.com/

kbarrett

A Secure Computer System
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 10:46:08 am »

Another notion is to encrypt the USB data....

Knoppix MIB taken this a step farther and encrypts the pendrive with AES256.

Actually, my latest pet project is to try to fit the entire LINUX OS on a self booting pendrive. Flonix will operate off of a pendrive, but the home directory is not encrypted.

I am working on a knoppix varient that will fit entirely on a pendrive, and has an encypted /home directory. There are quite a few folks in the off-shore investment community would be willing to buy such a thing ... I just hope I can get it to market before the big fish jump in the pond.......
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 10:46:58 am by kbarrett »
The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up