Arts & Liberties > Books & literature

Yankees and Their libido dominande

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouse:

--- Quote from: Tahn L. on April 24, 2019, 11:51:13 am ---"..The word "Yankee" gained popularity in the early to mid nineteenth century to describe a particular brand of New Englander: arrogant, hypocritical, unfriendly, condescending, intolerant, extremely self-righteous, and believing that he and his were Godís chosen people.

Yankees have never shied away from using the coercive powers of the state to compel others to be remade in their image. Thatís why compulsory government schooling originated in New England, as did prohibitionism. Itís also why Stalinism took hold in the North (especially in New York City) in the twentieth century, as did its offshoot, neoconservativism, in more recent times. Indeed, many of the more notorious neoconservatives openly admit that they were Stalinists in their youth and have never fully abandoned those beliefs."
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2004/02/thomas-dilorenzo/the-yankee-myth/

A few "totalitarians" know what they are doing, a few are "doing Gods will", some are psychopaths and most are "followers.

My opinion. Tahn

--- End quote ---

I'm learning stuff all the time.  When I was growing up, people used to refer to all Americans as "Yanks", so I thought that a "Yankee" just meant someone from any part of America at all.  Then I learned that it referred only to people from the northern part of the country and it was kind of insulting for a Southerner to be called a "Yankee".  This narrows it even further.

These days it is considered politically incorrect to talk of "Yanks" or "Yankees".  It is sort of like referring to British people as "Poms" (you know from the days of transportation of prisoners to "the colonies" - where they wore prison garb with "prisoner of mother England", or POME written on it).  Oh what a bland, boring world we have created for our children, no one has even officially got a sense of humour any more.

jamie:

--- Quote from: mouse on April 24, 2019, 06:54:22 pm ---
--- Quote from: Tahn L. on April 24, 2019, 11:51:13 am ---"..The word "Yankee" gained popularity in the early to mid nineteenth century to describe a particular brand of New Englander: arrogant, hypocritical, unfriendly, condescending, intolerant, extremely self-righteous, and believing that he and his were Godís chosen people.

Yankees have never shied away from using the coercive powers of the state to compel others to be remade in their image. Thatís why compulsory government schooling originated in New England, as did prohibitionism. Itís also why Stalinism took hold in the North (especially in New York City) in the twentieth century, as did its offshoot, neoconservativism, in more recent times. Indeed, many of the more notorious neoconservatives openly admit that they were Stalinists in their youth and have never fully abandoned those beliefs."
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2004/02/thomas-dilorenzo/the-yankee-myth/

A few "totalitarians" know what they are doing, a few are "doing Gods will", some are psychopaths and most are "followers.

My opinion. Tahn

--- End quote ---

I'm learning stuff all the time.  When I was growing up, people used to refer to all Americans as "Yanks", so I thought that a "Yankee" just meant someone from any part of America at all.  Then I learned that it referred only to people from the northern part of the country and it was kind of insulting for a Southerner to be called a "Yankee".  This narrows it even further.

These days it is considered politically incorrect to talk of "Yanks" or "Yankees".  It is sort of like referring to British people as "Poms" (you know from the days of transportation of prisoners to "the colonies" - where they wore prison garb with "prisoner of mother England", or POME written on it).  Oh what a bland, boring world we have created for our children, no one has even officially got a sense of humour any more.

--- End quote ---

I guess you can't say Canuck or Kiwi anymore either.

casca-503:
i'm   a   MAIN'A   /    yankee   /   new   Englander  /   born   here....   only   been  to   9   countries   &   17   states,   but   keep   commin'    back...it   must   be   somethin'    in   the   water....huh  ????

Tahn L.:
.."This, of course, does not include all New Englanders and their descendants,.." (From the excerpt above)

You may be from Maine but I do not believe you fit any other definition Casca. 

mouse:
Yep, Casca certainly does not fit the description in the OP, so I guess there are some freedomistas in Maine, we must see a danger in generalising.

Although it is (probably) important to distinguish between a Northerner and a Southerner in America, the word "American" seems such a mouthful, so how about a generic term for all Americans:

"Hawaiian short wearers"?

Just about every American I see here is wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

(You got a Hawaiian shirt Casca?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version