The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish antibiotics - some personal experience  (Read 2165 times)

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
Re: Fish antibiotics - some personal experience
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 06:52:10 pm »

I just wanted to follow up.  My last dose of Tetracycline was Saturday (07/16/2016) morning.  There was some persistent itchiness afterward that lasted a few days, but even that is gone, and the infection doesn't seem to be interested in recurring.

While I won't recommend fish antibiotics to anyone who has another choice, I can say that, at least in my case, they do work.  If I find myself in need of antibiotics in a SHTF situation, I won't shy away from fish antibiotics.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

DiabloLoco

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 08:01:41 pm »

I just wanted to follow up.  My last dose of Tetracycline was Saturday (07/16/2016) morning.  There was some persistent itchiness afterward that lasted a few days, but even that is gone, and the infection doesn't seem to be interested in recurring.

While I won't recommend fish antibiotics to anyone who has another choice, I can say that, at least in my case, they do work.  If I find myself in need of antibiotics in a SHTF situation, I won't shy away from fish antibiotics.
Good to know. Regardless of what others here may think, I thank you for sharing. :thumbsup: Not everybody is a superhuman that never gets sick or need antibiotics.

securitysix

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 08:09:30 pm »

Good to know. Regardless of what others here may think, I thank you for sharing. :thumbsup: Not everybody is a superhuman that never gets sick or need antibiotics.

Agreed.  "Don't get sick" is great advice until you get sick.  Once you're sick, the advice "don't get sick" is pretty useless.

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 05:55:29 am »

Agreed.  "Don't get sick" is great advice until you get sick.  Once you're sick, the advice "don't get sick" is pretty useless.

Don't recall ever saying that. What I said is that you are unlikely to know what the hell  you are doing taking these antibiotics, and it may make you a lot sicker than you were before. But as always, each to his/her own. If you want to experiment with your health, no skin off my nose. :)  I'm glad you got lucky.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Kurt

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 12:29:47 pm »

Glad it worked, don't believe tetracycline is typically used for ear infections but very noticeable improvement in 48 hours is usually an indication you chose one with activity against the bacteria.  In a real disaster situation, with no susceptibility testing, early treatment with antibiotics might make sense as it might not only limit the contagious period of some infections but also provide information about the bacteria in question if the first ABX choice didn't help.  Else the possibility exists that we wait until the infection is already becoming serious before starting a course only to find out 48-72 hours later that the ABX doesn't have activity against the bacteria, and by then a serious infection may have become life threatening.

I'm still a little leery on the powdered antibiotics however, a tainted fish product might result in a civil suit against the manufacturer but counterfeiting human drugs has got to be a felony offense.  That's not to say I wouldn't use the powdered variety in a true emergency when there was no better option.  The only powdered one I currently stock is Triple Sulfa, but not intending to take it orally but use it directly on infected tissue before re-bandaging/re-packing a wound if needed.

Would just mention too that everyone should check the drug interactions and administration information for each drug you're stocking.  Powdered erythromycin could be almost completely useless if it's destroyed by stomach acid (usually indicated in the administration instructions for human use as "swallow tablet whole, do not split or crush"), and tetracycline powder shouldn't be mixed with milk, or any drink mix containing calcium or magnesium, since it will bind to those minerals and decrease its absorption.  Just mention it since fish ABXs obviously won't include human administration instructions, and drugs designed for human use already take factors like extended release and absorption into account unlike ones intended for use in an aquarium.

securitysix

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 05:12:59 pm »

Glad it worked, don't believe tetracycline is typically used for ear infections but very noticeable improvement in 48 hours is usually an indication you chose one with activity against the bacteria.  In a real disaster situation, with no susceptibility testing, early treatment with antibiotics might make sense as it might not only limit the contagious period of some infections but also provide information about the bacteria in question if the first ABX choice didn't help.  Else the possibility exists that we wait until the infection is already becoming serious before starting a course only to find out 48-72 hours later that the ABX doesn't have activity against the bacteria, and by then a serious infection may have become life threatening.

I had found something before I purchased the tetracycline that indicated it could be prescribed for Otitis Media (middle ear infection).  What I had was more likely Otitis Externa (outer ear infection).  I had found a thing (that I can't find now) that showed tetracycline as a possible treatment for Otitis Media.  On that same site, it showed Amoxicillin for Otitis Media but not Otitis Externa.  The last ear infection I had was diagnosed by a doctor as Otitis Externa and amoxicillin was prescribed for it.  I figured if one drug could be used for Otitis Externa even though the site I was on didn't show it for that, the other could be too, since both showed as viable treatments for Otitis Media.

I'm still a little leery on the powdered antibiotics however, a tainted fish product might result in a civil suit against the manufacturer but counterfeiting human drugs has got to be a felony offense.  That's not to say I wouldn't use the powdered variety in a true emergency when there was no better option.  The only powdered one I currently stock is Triple Sulfa, but not intending to take it orally but use it directly on infected tissue before re-bandaging/re-packing a wound if needed.

I'm not recommending that anyone use powdered antibiotics, fish or human.  What I'm saying is that I have successfully used powdered fish antibiotics to treat an infection, and I found a way to make doing so tolerable, if not 100% palatable.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up