The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about Hosting a Small Machines Forum  (Read 1141 times)

Baked at 420

• Resident AntiFa
Questions about Hosting a Small Machines Forum
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:05:37 pm »

Me and about 200 friends want to put together a forum to migrate to, away from facebook.

We would like to use the Small Machines templates for their user friendly interface and simplicity.

Much as is the case with TMM, radical content is the norm. Thus we have run into a problem finding a hosting service that wouldn't shut us down outright. Our funding is also limited.

With these conditions in mind, do any of the tech savvy folks here know of a solution?
“If I survive, I will  spend my whole life at the oven door seeing that no one is denied bread  and, so as to give a lesson of charity, especially those who did not  bring flour.” ~Jose Marti

“Write in such a way as  that you can be readily understood by both the young and the old, by men  as well as women, even by children.” ~Ho Chi Minh

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Questions about Hosting a Small Machines Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:38:46 pm »

Might pool your resources and buy a server, especially if one of your members is able to run it and keep it functioning. I don't know much about it myself.  But I don't know why finding hosting should be a real problem either. There are lots of very radical websites around. Hard to believe yours would have a real problem. Anyway, good luck!
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:00:12 pm »

Much as is the case with TMM, radical content is the norm. Thus we have run into a problem finding a hosting service that wouldn't shut us down outright. Our funding is also limited.

How much more radical is your content than TMM's? I've seen no evidence whatsoever of pushback from any of our hosting services, including the current one, DigitalOcean.com.

We pay $10/month to host thementalmilitia.com, eliasalias.com, and thementalmilitia.net, with free SSL certificates from LetsEncrypt.org, plus yearly domain renewal fees of about $14 per domain, including privacy service that leaves contact information out of our whois record. Depending on how many people you expect to use your forums, you might be able to get away with $5/month.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:23:13 pm »

Might pool your resources and buy a server, especially if one of your members is able to run it and keep it functioning. I don't know much about it myself.  But I don't know why finding hosting should be a real problem either. There are lots of very radical websites around. Hard to believe yours would have a real problem. Anyway, good luck!

Instead of buying a server, you might consider leasing finding a local business or non-profit that is upgrading their hardware and see if they're willing to part with servers they are retiring and see if they're willing to give you one or more of the servers they're retiring.  They have to pay an electronic waste disposal fee to get rid of the server anyway, so giving it to someone is actually a cheaper option.

If they're smart, they'll pull the hard drives from it before giving it to you, so you'll have to buy those, but hard drives are cheap.  Once you have the server, it's a matter of you or one of your friends footing the bill for the electricity and making sure your ISP allows you to host your own server (a lot of personal accounts don't allow for it, so you may have to look at a business account).

Of course, then you have to learn how to admin a server, which is simple when everything goes smoothly and unbelievably stressful the rest of the time...
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers
Pages: [1]   Go Up