The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deer Hunting  (Read 3976 times)

DiabloLoco

Re: Deer Hunting
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 05:53:19 pm »

Opening day was a total bust. :thumbsdown: I saw plenty of signs- rubs, scat, tracks...... but no deer. Oh well...Tomorrow is another day. :thrbiggrin:

TheWart

• Walk, eventually you'll find me
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 12:57:41 am »

Seen a great buck today.

He was about 400 yards out.  Through thick brush.  And he was walking, quickly.  It was more of a trot really.

Didn't take that shot, hopefully the brown and fuzzy will be more apt to cooperate Monday.
"We must learn to treat the...dictator in our midst...with the weapon of ridicule." --> Proudly doing this
"A good :spam1: detector should be instilled upon every young child at an early age." - Me

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 05:29:22 am »

Opening day was a total bust. :thumbsdown: I saw plenty of signs- rubs, scat, tracks...... but no deer. Oh well...Tomorrow is another day. :thrbiggrin:

Isn't that amazing? When I first moved here, I had to rent a place in Lead, SD for a little while. In October, the deer were all over town, thick as molasses. Had a bunch standing around in my  yard each morning. One day in November, I looked out and the yard was empty. Asked my neighbor where they might have gone and she reminded me it was the first day of hunting season! I asked her who told the deer, and she just smiled and said, "oh, they know."  When I went to town a little later that morning, there wasn't a deer in sight anywhere.  What they didn't seem to know was that nobody could legally shoot them IN town... you'd think the streets would be packed with them. LOL
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 07:13:42 am »

Seen a great buck today.

He was about 400 yards out.  Through thick brush.  And he was walking, quickly.  It was more of a trot really.

Didn't take that shot, hopefully the brown and fuzzy will be more apt to cooperate Monday.

Too bad he wasn't closer.  He was trotting after a doe and only had one thing on his mind!

Shotgun season starts the 5th of December and my buddy and I are planning to be out in the elements yet again.  We hope to take the 10 pointer that we've seen a few times out there but since this particular season is only 5 days long it's more of a "if it's brown it's down!"
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 02:33:03 pm »

I saw 3 doe on Sunday, but they were out of range. The county that I was in does not allow rifle. :angry4: Unfortunately, I could not go out today. I can't get back out until Friday. :shakehead: Sucks! I have too much work to get done. When I DO get back out, I plan on hunting in a different county. :threvil:

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 06:49:04 am »

I saw 3 doe on Sunday, but they were out of range. The county that I was in does not allow rifle. :angry4: Unfortunately, I could not go out today. I can't get back out until Friday. :shakehead: Sucks! I have too much work to get done. When I DO get back out, I plan on hunting in a different county. :threvil:

I feel your pain.  When I first moved to Iowa and was researching the hunting laws I was not pleased to read that rifles were only allowed in a few southeast counties.  Shotgun?  You have to get really close for shotgun!  (Main reason I picked up a muzzle loader.)

But if your hunting coyotes?  Take them out with whatever you want!  Heck, use a freakin' bazooka!  Just get rid of the vermin!

Anyway, best of luck bud.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 07:36:46 am »

The Savage 212 or 220 shoot slugs with rifle accuracy, and nearly rifle range. I have no experience with them, but the reviews I've read are good.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/212
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/220F

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_212_slug_gun.htm

The factory test target from Savage showed a sub-MOA three shot group out of this rifle with Remington Accu-Tip ammo, so there was little question that the 212 was going to shoot with the ammo it liked...

All three Winchester loads shot far better, more than sufficient for “minute of whitetail,” and all of them were harsh kicking. The easy winner, out of this specific rifle, was the 1800 fps Winchester Dual bond 375 grain round, which had no problem nearly touching holes shot after shot. Based on published Winchester ballistics, this is a 167 yard, six inch kill zone, maximum point blank range load.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

DiabloLoco

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:05 am »

You have to get really close for shotgun! 

With my smooth bore Ithaca, I'm good for up to 150 yards or so, which is pretty good for a smooth bore. The doe I saw were about 350 yards away though. The .308 or .30 .06 would have done the job. :rolleyes:

But if your hunting coyotes?  Take them out with whatever you want!  Heck, use a freakin' bazooka!  Just get rid of the vermin!

Funny story.....My brother got a coyote with his bow on the last day of early bow season. He said that the stupid thing was sunbathing in the middle of a field. Every now and then it would get up to stretch and then lay back down. He put himself upwind of the coyote, and then spent 2 hours covering about 400 yards sneaking up on it. He pegged it from 30 yards!!! A coyote.....with a bow....from 30 yards..... :thrshocker: He was complaining that he could sneak up on a coyote like that, but a deer.....NOOOOO!!!! :laugh:

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 11:26:21 am »

Tomorrow morning I'll be out in the stand!  Official start is 30 minutes before sunrise on the 5th of December.  My buddy and I are hoping to take 5 this season.  Weather looks decent.  No precipitation, not frigid and very light wind.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 03:18:58 pm »

Tomorrow morning I'll be out in the stand!  Official start is 30 minutes before sunrise on the 5th of December.  My buddy and I are hoping to take 5 this season.  Weather looks decent.  No precipitation, not frigid and very light wind.
Good luck, brother. I hope that you have more success than I have had as of late. Hopefully my luck will turn. I will be out at "dark thirty" tomorrow morning. I've been WAY busier than I would like to be at this time of year, but I do enjoy the money. :laugh: I only have time to go out on the weekends. On a positive note though, I took my minion out with me for the first time last Sunday. We both enjoyed it immensely! He really wants to learn all that he can about hunting, and I really love teaching it to him. It's a family tradition. :mellow: I will be taking him out again this Sunday too. Can't wait! :thumbsup:

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 12:21:13 pm »

Frustrating hunt so far.  The few deer I've actually seen were either out of range or the shot was no good.  One 8-point buck I saw was behind too much brush to warrant the shot.  I know many folks who would have let fly and 'hope they get lucky'.  I'd rather take the animal quickly and cleanly.  I have until Wednesday night to fill those tags.  Heading back out this afternoon.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 02:44:57 pm »

First Shotgun season in Iowa was a bust.  We saw quite a few deer but they were either too far away, too well concealed or the size of a small dog.  I swear that doe I saw still had spots...

One 8-pointer wandered into my area Monday evening.  I took careful aim and... click!  What the?!?!?  I quietly (as I could) racked the next shell but he had wandered behind thick brush by then.  I looked at the shell and sure enough, there was a small dimple, just no kablamo.  To add insult to injury I went to the range and loaded that particular round.  Kaboom.  Works on the range but not on the field!  Grumble grumble.

My buddy did say that landowner tags can be used for 2nd shotgun season.  This one starts this coming weekend and goes for 10 days.  Neither of us were super excited as these past 5 days of early mornings and plodding through the woods have taken a toll.  We're bushed!  I'm thinking possibly the following weekend we'll be excited to hit the forest again.

My son came out with me one afternoon and it was a good time.  Despite not tagging anything we did see a number of deer (including the tiny doe which came up pretty close) so he enjoyed it.  Always next time.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 03:35:19 pm »

I only have one more day to hunt. Saturday. The season ends Sunday, but my oldest minion has an event that day and my presence there means more to me than a day in the woods. Gotta be a good dad, you know..... I'm not too optimistic about Saturday. None of my immediate family have been successful either. I think that it may be the weather. Too warm for this time of year. Usually there is a bit of snow by now.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 06:56:52 am »

I only have one more day to hunt. Saturday. The season ends Sunday, but my oldest minion has an event that day and my presence there means more to me than a day in the woods. Gotta be a good dad, you know..... I'm not too optimistic about Saturday. None of my immediate family have been successful either. I think that it may be the weather. Too warm for this time of year. Usually there is a bit of snow by now.

Good dad = awesomeness

I'm no expert but I heard others talk about this warm weather being a detriment.  Deer tend to huddle together during the cold and thus, are easier to spot while moving about.  There were quite a few we saw out in the middle of a field, milling about sunning themselves.  If it were much colder they would be in the forest out of the wind.

Ah well, there are still a handful of opportunities coming up for me.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up