The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: good barcode reader?  (Read 1543 times)

beech_trees

good barcode reader?
« on: March 02, 2005, 09:22:55 am »

any advice appreciated...

I'd like to organize my library of cd's and books using Readerware.

If I use a CueCat, should Is till hack it?

Dave

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
good barcode reader?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 10:01:32 am »

Of course you should hack it*grin*
And if you do decide to use a cuecat and you "do" hack it it shouldn't require any of the intrusive software that came packaged with it....
I know on mine all I had to do was lift one solder pad to remove the encryption "feature" and it works just like a keyboard under linux.........just scan the barcode with an active cursor in a text editor and the numeric value of the barcode is added to the document being edited
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
good barcode reader?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 08:18:00 pm »

Of course you should hack it*grin*
And if you do decide to use a cuecat and you "do" hack it it shouldn't require any of the intrusive software that came packaged with it....
I know on mine all I had to do was lift one solder pad to remove the encryption "feature" and it works just like a keyboard under linux.........just scan the barcode with an active cursor in a text editor and the numeric value of the barcode is added to the document being edited
They come with software?

I have a couple of those,  sitting here in a box,  and haven't figured out a good use for them yet.

And of course I'll hack them!  :-)

Is there any way to tell from the software end whether it's that gizmo or the keyboard where stuff is coming from?
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
good barcode reader?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 11:30:16 pm »

Roy,

I really don't know that, all I know is that mine spits out plain ascii text, and that it wasn't hard to hack to get rid of the encryption "feature".....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
good barcode reader?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 12:22:41 am »

Roy,

I really don't know that, all I know is that mine spits out plain ascii text, and that it wasn't hard to hack to get rid of the encryption "feature".....
Yeah,  I remember when those things first came out the info on how to "hack" them came out right shortly afterwards.

I did get a hold of a couple of them,  but have no particular use for them,  or at least not just yet.  Though a lot of my books do have barcodes on them,  I wonder if it's possible to access something on the 'net like cddb?  Hmm...   :-)
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: [1]   Go Up