The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hazelnuts  (Read 1798 times)

Wyomiles

My Hazelnuts
« on: November 29, 2014, 11:41:31 am »

I planted a couple of sticks 4 years ago and I have now gotten two years of nuts!

I was looking for information on propagation, storage and recipes and have been getting some good information over at the permies forum.

http://www.permies.com/t/27229/plants/Hazelnuts-harvest-processing-propagation

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: My Hazelnuts
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:21:16 am »

I'd love to have some, but have no way to protect them from the deer here. sigh
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »

Sure you do! You carry it with you or have it at arms reach at all times! :laugh:

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:54 pm »

Sure you do! You carry it with you or have it at arms reach at all times! :laugh:

Unfortunately, if I shoot at the deer (before the revolution anyway)... I'll eventually go to jail. sigh  The deer and cows have far more "rights" here than do people. The only "legal" option is to put up fence... which takes money I don't have. I do pop the damn deer in the rump with a BB now and then, but even so I'm taking chances if I was to actually hurt one.

Wyoming.. where "deer" is pronounced "DAMNdeer."

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:03:38 pm »

Yeah the deer will get 2 of 3 you plant unless you figure out a way to weld a 7 plus foot rebar cage and tack a bunch of 6" grid fencing to it........   The 2nd neighbor over has a couple he has hinged clam shell style so he can replace various trees in his orchards.  Once the tree has grown big enough to go out the top, enough of the top leaves make it to keep the tree growing.  The deer do save him pruning work on suckers and such that can start after the tree is grown........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Who...me?

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 07:09:53 pm »

"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 07:21:32 am »

ML have you considered something like this automatic pest repeller?

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/scarecrow-sprinkler-motion-activated-animal-deterrent-p-3327.html?gclid=CLHQ75q0j8ICFeLm7AodEEIA3Q

No, and it would not help, thanks anyway. Two problems (at least)... I have five acres, and the temperature in winter can get to 25 below zero. No water being sprayed then, even if I wanted to waste it like that. But winter is when the deer do the most of the damage. Trees and bushes stick up out of the snow, so are prime sources of food for them then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up