The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Speak American!" they say...  (Read 4817 times)

Tipitaka

"Speak American!" they say...
« on: March 15, 2014, 12:55:06 pm »

Many many times when speaking another language here in the US, I've been told by uninvited third parties nearby to "Speak American" because "This is America :angry:" and "If you wanna speak Spanish, go back to Mexico" (Was speaking Japanese at the time I was told that one. lol).

Okay okay. I got it. I'll speak the mother-tongue of 1/16th of my great American ancestry. ᏌᏊ ᎦᏬᏂᏍᏗ ᎥᏝ ᏰᎵᏊ (translation: One language is never enough.| If you see squares, go here to download this unicode font set.)

What? Hv? Algonquian languages like Cherokee aren't American enough? If you wanna speak English, go back to England. ᏪᎾ. This is America dude, we speak American here. All 300 or so American Languages. :laugh: The common American phrase "Huh?" is borrowed from Cherokee. It means "What?" and is written Ꮂ in the Syllabary. So you already know at least one word. If you can affect a Western North Carolina or Eastern Tennessee accent, you got the Cherokee accent down. That's where the Southern Mountain Twang came from.

Okay, so to business:

This is the Syllabary created by Sequoyah:

This is a summary of his life:
http://www.sequoyahmuseum.org/index.cfm/m/1/fuseAction/contentpage.main/detailID/29

Wikipedia in American for your reading pleasure or curiosity:
https://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ᎤᎵᎮᎵᏍᏗ

Language resources (including free online lessons) from the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma:
http://www.cherokee.org/AboutTheNation/Language.aspx

The textbook I'm using:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Cherokee-Ruth-Bradley-Holmes/dp/0806114630
I got my copy for $3 at Half-Price Books.

Phrases like the silly one above from the folks at Omniglot:
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/cherokee.php

Currawong

Re: "Speak American!" they say...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:28:08 pm »

Thankyou, T ,I'll keep and use your alphabet chart. I'll try to learn it and use it alternately with the Korean one that
a kind Senior School teacher made for me on a plane back to Oz in Feb.
Yeah, it looks mighty interesting!

Tipitaka

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:40:08 am »

Thankyou, T ,I'll keep and use your alphabet chart. I'll try to learn it and use it alternately with the Korean one that
a kind Senior School teacher made for me on a plane back to Oz in Feb.
Yeah, it looks mighty interesting!

Gv-li-e-li-ga (you're welcome). I just got tired of people telling me that. I'm minding my own beezwax talking to some immigrant friends and some 'Murican decides to tell me what I should speak when he himself is speaking a foreign language to tell me that.

I'm currently learning vocabulary and the syllabary through rote memorization by copying them in a notebook. If you need study aids or suggestions, feel free to ask. I've learned another language to fluency and several others at a basic level. I also have Cherokee recipes if you'd like them. Cooking always gets me in the mood to learn.

Currawong

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:51:14 am »

I also have Cherokee recipes if you'd like them. Cooking always gets me in the mood to learn.

It's a real good idea to learn words whilst cooking, certainly makes a wholesome experience more rewarding, eh?
If you can let me have some to try that would be great!

The syllabary you posted reminds me a bit of Georgian Cyrillic script that I encountered on a brief trip some years ago.
It's probably just the way it's written.
Anyway, learn on Friend.

Tipitaka

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:33 am »

Now I've heard from several people that Native American food is bland, but I haven't found that to be true. What were the Cherokee growing and gathering in the 1700s? Sweet potatoes, tomatoes, blue corn, hickory nuts, hazelnuts, mustard, a variety of squash, a variety of beans and peas, mountain tobacco, blackberries, blueberries, huckleberries, cattails, ramsons (wild garlic), ginsing, and maple sugar among many other things. There is also archaeological evidence that chilies grown as far south as the Inca empire were traded as far north as the Cree territories. We could easily make the assumption that they would have been eaten in the old Cherokee Nation during the time of 2 chiefs. In addition, there was a very wide variety of meats on the table, and wild honey to be collected since bees were introduced in the 1600s and many hives had gone feral.

===

Wild Onion Eggs

Gather wild onions (AKA: Ramsons or Suh-gi) or the green tops of Elephant Garlic. Chop em up and fry in bacon grease or fatback or lard. Add beaten eggs and cook like you do scrambled eggs.

===

Fried Milky Corn

Dent corn kernels have a stage before they get hard and full of starch where they are full of a milky juice. You can eat it fresh like this, and raw it's like candy. You have to eat it within an hour of harvest though or they get hard. You slice the kernels off the cob and fry them in bacon grease. Simple. It's a good side dish with venison and summer squash.

===

Bean Bread
Varies from family to family, but is found universally in all three bands of Cherokee. I have heard of Iroquois (Haudenosaunee) and Creek (Mvskoke) making it too.

Make your favorite cornbread batter, add 2 tbs of honey or maple syrup and a cup and a half of cooked drained pinto beans or blackeyed peas, and bake as directed in your cornbread recipe.

===

There is a delicacy called Kannuchi which I'm not currently capable of making. It's made of pounded hickory nuts. I'll have to research the process more.

Currawong

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:14 am »

Thankyou, I'll have a go with whatever ingredients can lay hands on.The cornbread sounds very tasteful.
I already bake my own scone bread from me Ma's recipe so I can make alterations to that for the corn bread one.
Yeah great thanks.

Vrsovice Rebel

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:45:12 pm »

Big Dan:  "Why don't you learn t'talk American?!"

Mr. Wu:  "Wu! Knows! Engrishing!"

--Deadwood
May God bless and keep the Tsar...far away from us!

My life, not yours, piss off!

DiabloLoco

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:00:27 pm »

--Deadwood
Sweargin! CockSUCKA! :laugh:

Tipitaka

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:54:08 am »

--Deadwood
Sweargin! CockSUCKA! :laugh:

Wai yu so dum?  :laugh:

Tipitaka

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:45:04 am »

More language helpers:

Cherokee Keyboard Setting: http://www.languagegeek.com/rotinonhsonni/keyboards/iro_keyboards.html

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:42:31 pm »

I've never understood the fear of others speaking a foreign language.
I've always thought it was kind of cool. Sort of "mouth music". The
pitch, tones and resonance people are capable of is kind of mind blowing.

Bear

PS: There is a point in foreign language study where you can suddenly
      "hear" sounds that were always present, but your mind wasn't wired
      to recognize. It takes me about 6 months to get to that point.
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »

Where does the word "bewbies" come from?  I'm moving there.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Tipitaka

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:35:54 pm »

Bear

I'm at that point right now with Cherokee... I've been making hundreds of flashcards for vocabulary, and I listened to a song in it, and I started to understand it. It's always a cool moment when that happens.

The difficulty here is the ridiculous lengths and brevity of some words.

For example:

my wife - A-gi-s-ta-yv-hv-s-gi

belt - A-da-tlo-s-di

I have eaten it whole. - A-gi-ki-sv

See that last one where there is a 4 syllable word for a whole sentence? That happens a lot.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 04:05:35 pm »

Bear

I'm at that point right now with Cherokee... I've been making hundreds of flashcards for vocabulary, and I listened to a song in it, and I started to understand it. It's always a cool moment when that happens.

The difficulty here is the ridiculous lengths and brevity of some words.

For example:

my wife - A-gi-s-ta-yv-hv-s-gi

belt - A-da-tlo-s-di

I have eaten it whole. - A-gi-ki-sv

See that last one where there is a 4 syllable word for a whole sentence? That happens a lot.

Sounds like you should be dreaming in Cherokee soon if you aren't there already.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Tipitaka

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 12:28:45 am »

Sounds like you should be dreaming in Cherokee soon if you aren't there already.

Bear

Yeah, probably soon.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up