The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Speak American!" they say...  (Read 4974 times)

RVM45

Re: "Speak American!" they say...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 04:39:22 pm »

It will help anyone's language skills to realize that all Foreign Languages are attempts to evolve English that never quite made it—or missed making it by a huge margin...

But in any case, what you're trying to learn isn't a true viable means of communication in its own right, but just an inferior version of English.

I don't know why, but keeping this in mind greases the learning gears considerably.

.....RVM45        :mellow: :thumbsup: :mellow:
There are only Two Types of People in the World:

A.} Folks who are after my Guns;

And;

B.} Folks who Are Not after my Guns.

Nothing Else Matters.

jamie

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 03:51:36 am »

It will help anyone's language skills to realize that all Foreign Languages are attempts to evolve English that never quite made it—or missed making it by a huge margin...

But in any case, what you're trying to learn isn't a true viable means of communication in its own right, but just an inferior version of English.

I don't know why, but keeping this in mind greases the learning gears considerably.

Your post fairly boggles the mind.  So every other language is inferior English?  And keeping this in mind helps the learning process?

Awesome.

I wonder how a native Japanese, Chinese or any other nationality would react  to your post.

Tipitaka

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 04:22:46 am »

Your post fairly boggles the mind.  So every other language is inferior English?  And keeping this in mind helps the learning process?

Awesome.

I wonder how a native Japanese, Chinese or any other nationality would react  to your post.

I felt it was rather arrogant and demeaning.

RVM45

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »

I didn't mean for that to sound so Arbitrary.

I read a lot and also watch many Educational Television shows and often can't cite sources...

But many Linguists say that several characteristics of English—The lack of Gender forms of the word "The", the difference between Object and Subject usually determined by word order rather than word endings, no formal and informal address...

And a score of things that I now forget...

All indicated to them that spoken or sub-vocalized English parallels actual human thought processes closer than any other mainline language.

The beginning language student will note that many languages "Backward Talk", but the cult of Relativism convinces him that this is just his idiosyncratic perception.

No, in all probability many other languages actually do Backwards Talk.

So far as offending other Cultures:

We need to have the Moral Courage to look them in the eye and say, "Y'all really need to scrap your backward ways and adopt ours."

.....RVM45              :mellow: :thumbsup: :mellow:
There are only Two Types of People in the World:

A.} Folks who are after my Guns;

And;

B.} Folks who Are Not after my Guns.

Nothing Else Matters.

jamie

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 05:40:46 pm »

I didn't mean for that to sound so Arbitrary.

I read a lot and also watch many Educational Television shows and often can't cite sources...

But many Linguists say that several characteristics of English—The lack of Gender forms of the word "The", the difference between Object and Subject usually determined by word order rather than word endings, no formal and informal address...

And a score of things that I now forget...

All indicated to them that spoken or sub-vocalized English parallels actual human thought processes closer than any other mainline language.

The beginning language student will note that many languages "Backward Talk", but the cult of Relativism convinces him that this is just his idiosyncratic perception.

No, in all probability many other languages actually do Backwards Talk.

So far as offending other Cultures:

We need to have the Moral Courage to look them in the eye and say, "Y'all really need to scrap your backward ways and adopt ours."

.....RVM45              :mellow: :thumbsup: :mellow:

Just as a question RVM45, what if that statement were applied to you?  About your language or your culture or beliefs or whatever?

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 10:13:37 am »

If I was here way back when I might have learned some of the language of the new country if not all of it.  That was then this is now, and I would only be interested in talking to the invading tribe in ballistics unless they approached in something less than a moblike manner.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up