The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschooling Growing Seven Times Faster than Public School Enrollment  (Read 2896 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty

I still hear this "socialization" myth from some folks... but not nearly as much as I used to.

Homeschooling Growing Seven Times Faster than Public School Enrollment
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/06/07/Report-Growth-in-Homeschooling-Outpacing-Public-Schools

Similarly, the common myth that homeschoolers “miss out” on so-called “socialization opportunities,” often thought to be a vital aspect of traditional academic settings, has proven to be without merit. According to the National Home Education Research Institute survey, homeschoolers tend to be more socially engaged than their peers and demonstrate “healthy social, psychological, and emotional development, and success into adulthood.”
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

gunslinger598

I encounter many interactions with  kids that have been home schooled & from my limited experience I will say that they  are 99% more likely to interact better & at a higher level than kids in the public school system. It's refreshing when a 9 year old can actually hold an intelligent conversation with an adult & express ideas with something other than a grunt or a word so  slurred that if you disagree they can change it to suit the situation.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty

Seems to me that one of the greatest barriers to homeschooling is the financial burden of taxes of all kinds - and was long before the current economic downturn of the country. When both parents must keep a full time job just to make ends meet, but that doesn't generate enough income to provide private schooling, the choices become limited. Those who live in high tax states and locations are, of course, the worst affected. I know a family right here in Wyoming that homeschooled all five of their boys until a year or so ago. His job was "downsized" and she just couldn't stay home any longer, so the boys all had to go to "public school." At least they got a good head start. Even the youngest, who was only six then, was light years ahead of the usual "first grade" he wound up going into.

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.

“Socialization opportunities,”?
More like Sociopathic oppertunities.
How many home school kids have run amok?
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead

I've known a fair number of home schooled young adults and they always struck me as more mature for their age then the products of public schools.

I'm glad to see the growth, it's a good sign.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

hangman

• Senator, +Lampost, +Rope. Some assembly required

I think one-room schools will make a return. Many diverse people teaching different things and older students helping younger students in the same setting. It worked for many years and provided an actual education.
Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils.

"Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government — and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. — EDWARD ABBEY

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!

Speaking of enrollment.... I got the kiddos registered with an umbrella school. Will start the official homeschooling shortly....
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......

Yep, a sure sign of the loss of confidence/trust in the government.  In the short term, I think the big school districts and teachers unions need chopped up and forced to compete with a "Voucher" program.  Those vouchers can be used either to offset the costs of a private school, public school the parents like, or as a homeschooling credit to offset those costs.

I see home schooling OVER represented all the time in Popular mechanics, same with the MagNet school programs and Montessori style education models.  Given how few kids are in the alternative programs, and how they consistently pop up in the "Brilliant Kids" articles, the alternate programs are doing something better than the public system.

I watched a TED Talk a while back that described an Indian Education experiment, where a computer with a solar setup and internet satellite connection was just dropped off in remote villages.  The computers were plain old "Crowd proofed" windows machines using English.  ON THEIR OWN the kids taught themselves how tpo use the computers, how to speak internet English, and managed to generally achieve a second grade education in less than a year......  Meaning that they often outperformed many teacher taught programs.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

knobster

• Come and take!

Speaking of enrollment.... I got the kiddos registered with an umbrella school. Will start the official homeschooling shortly....

:wav:

:headbang: :thumbsup: :occasion14:
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty

I watched a TED Talk a while back that described an Indian Education experiment, where a computer with a solar setup and internet satellite connection was just dropped off in remote villages. 

Yes, I read about that and was intrigued. But I think it's much the same situation as children raised in a house full of books and readers. They don't need any formal "teaching" to learn and come to love learning. My mother read the classics to us from our earliest days, and we were surrounded by both good reading material, and people who loved and talked about it.  When my sister and I went to school, we found whole new worlds of things to read as well. The school library was a magic wonderland to me.

Of course, this was 1951... and might as well ave been on a different planet. sigh

On the other hand, I've gone into homes where the only "book" was, at best, a TV Guide and the only other reading material the fast food wrappers. Those children struggle to survive, let alone thrive. And "school" does them very little good.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......

Yep, I see that too.  "friends" in the community that do not have any reading material around their houses and their kids are having problems with school and "Acting out" (whatever that phrase REALLY MEANS?).  Then the parents say "I have done right by them I feed them and get them good clothes and the latest electronics, why are they running wild?".......

TV role models instead of the heroic thinkers that you find in books.  Pop culture morality taught by the people farmer illuminati....... Rather than really deep thought learned from the classics.   The chef 2 doors down can make an excellent soufflé, but has no idea how the ingredients react to form it, and only knows it is French because it has one of those "Fruity" names.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
Re: Homeschooling Growing Seven Times Faster than Public School Enrollment
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 03:33:40 pm »

Yep, I see that too.  "friends" in the community that do not have any reading material around their houses and their kids are having problems with school and "Acting out" (whatever that phrase REALLY MEANS?).  Then the parents say "I have done right by them I feed them and get them good clothes and the latest electronics, why are they running wild?".......

TV role models instead of the heroic thinkers that you find in books.  Pop culture morality taught by the people farmer illuminati....... Rather than really deep thought learned from the classics.   The chef 2 doors down can make an excellent soufflé, but has no idea how the ingredients react to form it, and only knows it is French because it has one of those "Fruity" names.........

Don't even get *me* started on this guys.  Reality is, it isn't just the "pop culture" that is at issue.  There is more to it than that.  The classics became "the classics" because they survived or someone found them useful enough to pass on.  The same will happen with our culture.  The issue isn't that there aren't "classics" or whatnot in the house or that the kids "have electronics."  Sorry to tell you but I've learned quite a bit of useful stuff from the web, despite all the "classical men" who absolutely hate it as some "fad," can quote politics and ballistics and like many others haven't the foggiest how that stuff actually does work.  Lets face it, the issue is a multi pronged attack, whether intentional on all fronts or not, upon the minds of man.

Take, the recent and constant usage in pop culture of the foolish and legally intricate word: "person" instead of man/woman/child or "individual."  As with all magical incantations, repetition gave them power and prevalence.  The government sorcerers of "equality" decided that innies and outies should be equalized.  (That means you gals should pee standing up, and us guys should squat.  Ignore the ensuing smell issues in all of our pants and the bathroom too.  It is the onset of "equalization," which as usual, means everyone wallows in sorrow, poverty and filth.)

Person means mask.  Or as the legalists well know, it means facade or persona.  it has nothing to do with the body and mind, it has to do with its representation in a court of law.  But they did it, as usual, they forced that word enough on people to where it became permanent in their psyches.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up