The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: mplayer  (Read 9024 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
mplayer
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 11:51:02 am »

I suggest you log in as root once a day and check your local e-mail. The reason being that Fedora sets up various chron jobs to scan the system logs and produce reports of things of particular note which appear in the system logs. You might even scan /var/log/messages from time to time for any error messages regarding filesystem or disk problems.

Thanks for the reality check, rockchucker. And for the above suggestion. I have (though rarely) checked /var/log/messages, but checking local e-mail? Never even heard of that. Will Google to find out how.

I have run the filesystem checks and fsck fixes whenever they've been called for. But I promise that if the problems start up again I'll consider not only Fedora and my own actions, but the hardware, as well.

(This has not been a good week for hardware. My mechanic said I need either a new truck or a new transmission. My just-past-warranty TV/DVD player bit the dust. So I shouldn't be surprised if computers decide to go haywire, as well.)
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
mplayer
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 11:57:32 am »

Hey Claire,

Just fer shitzn'gigglez.....did any of the goodies the linux fairy brought have mplayer on them?
Hm. Haven't gone through to check them. But if any of them did, that would mean mplayer was either on a LiveCD distro (in which case how would I use it to play a DVD in the same drive?) or packaged with an installable distro (in which case I still couldn't use it with Fedora, right?). Or am I missing the point here?  

Wouldn't be the first time ...  :blink:

In any case, the only Linux Fairy CD that has distro-independent software packages in it was a (nifty) package of open-source apps for W*******s.

Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
mplayer
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 12:56:42 pm »

Thanks for the reality check, rockchucker. And for the above suggestion. I have (though rarely) checked /var/log/messages, but checking local e-mail? Never even heard of that. Will Google to find out how.

I have run the filesystem checks and fsck fixes whenever they've been called for. But I promise that if the problems start up again I'll consider not only Fedora and my own actions, but the hardware, as well.

(This has not been a good week for hardware. My mechanic said I need either a new truck or a new transmission. My just-past-warranty TV/DVD player bit the dust. So I shouldn't be surprised if computers decide to go haywire, as well.)
As always, you're welcome.

As far as "local mail" that was a bad choice of words, sort of, as I meant to emphasize "mail for root".

All Linux systems, AFAIK, are set up for standard Unix-style mail handling. They are, after all, multi-user systems. That means, that if there are 2 users on a system, one can send the other e-mail directly on that system, without using the internet at all. In fact, this is how it worked long before the internet existed. Back in the day, UUCP and other interesting protocols were invented to route mail off the local box. Really, the ubiquity of internet-routed e-mail is not quite a recent phenomenon anymore, but "local to the machine" e-mail happened a long time ago. Happily, it's still around.

This winds up being rather useful for things besides correspondence. Or you can think of it as a way for your machine to correspond with you, albeit in a one-way fashion. What happens it that various utilities will perform some sort of analysis, produce a report, and then send it via local e-mail on the machine. By default, these reports get sent to the root account. And there they sit, in what's called the mail spool, until retrieved. Take a look at /var/spool/mail/ and you'll see it.

So then the question is what do you do with it. The Unix command-line mail programs will read it, let you reply, delete, etc. I find them klunky. I haven't looked at this in depth, because my favorite GUI mail program, Sylpheed, is easily configured to retrieve my mail from the local mail spool. I would hope that other GUI mail programs will do so, but I can't say for sure.

Worst case scenario is to fire up a terminal as root, and type 'mail' at the command prompt. IIRC, a ? at the command prompt will bring up some terse help. At the risk of losing brownie points, I can only point you at the man pages for better documentation of the mail command, because I just don't use it. I'll let others comment on how well other command-line mail programs, such as mutt, pine, or elm, would work for this, as I'm not familiar with them. I hope you can find a GUI mail program that will check the local mail spool. Regardless, you need to log in as root, because that's where the reports get sent.

Fedora by default runs smartctl and logwatch as regular jobs. smartctl is a proggie that checks the health of your disk drives. logwatch collects "significant" things from your system log. logwatch is tunable as to what you consider significant.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
mplayer
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2005, 01:17:19 pm »

Fedora has descended THAT far down?

WTF have they done to linux??!???!
I just have to respond here.

What "they" are doing to Linux is continuing to improve it. What this requires is that the developers continue to work on the code, and release is to people for testing. Yes, testing. This is the process, and Fedora is specifically meant to be pretty far out on the edge of it. Not as far out as using experimental kernels, but nonetheless close to the edge.

The people who are developing Linux, and the apps that  go with it have no other way to fully debug their code. Part of the issue is that Linux and other free software runs on such an enormous combination of hardware, that nobody, not even IBM, has the resources to test things out on all possible combinations. So each developer tests on whatever hardware they have available, and also puts the code out for other to test on their hardware. Of course, the guy or gal who's specifically working on driver code for a particular IDE chipset would have a computer using that chipset. But people working on more generic code, for example video rendering routines that work one or two levels above the hardware driver level, won't be able to test how that code interacts with every possible video card. That same code might, in fact, run on Intel and RISC and MIPS and PowerPC machines. The only way to get it tested is to release it. Now there are processes for designating how experimental a piece of code is, and the various distributions make judgements about how "mature" something has to be before it gets included. These decisions are made based on how much testing a piece of code has gotten, and the types of bug reports generated as a result. The most famous of the conservative distributions is Debian "stable". Fedora is about as far on the other end of the spectrum as you can get without running things like nigthly CVS updates and experimental kernels.

Far from being "THAT for down", the bleeding-edge distributions the most innovative. But they're also the least tested, because most people don't want to run at the bleeding edge, thus the pool of testers is smaller.

So, WTF have they done to Linux? They've added features that make it easier to manage devices, particularly removable media such as USB drives. They've added support for more video cards and capabilities. They've improved hardware detection. The list goes on. But remember, that no software is bug-free. Even Apple, which has absolute control of their hardware specification, and so, unlike Linux programmers, don't have to beg manufacturers for specs, or reverse-engineer the programming interface, always know exactly what the behavior of their target hardware. Because of its control of the hardware, Apple has a far smaller burden for testing how their code runs on what's available. Even Apple will have buggy code, because perfection is just not possible. Linux is remarkable for it's amazing success, despite the difficulties.

FreedomSight

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
mplayer
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2005, 02:19:57 pm »

So, WTF have they done to Linux? They've added features that make it easier to manage devices, particularly removable media such as USB drives. They've added support for more video cards and capabilities. They've improved hardware detection. The list goes on.
Gotta second this. I've done my share of cussing at Fedora, but I've also done some marveling.

Mandrake 9.0, my earlier Linux, was terrible at device handling. Easy to use in many other ways, but every time I had to use a Zip drive or even the floppy, it could be a PITA. Fedora's device handling has been flawless. With only one USB port on this computer, I'm as pleased as I can be with my new ability to hot-swap the USB printer and flash drive. No more reboots or restarts to switch devices!

Even if it does turn out that my recent (and hopefully cured) system instability was an OS problem, and even with software installation headaches, I still like what I've seen of Fedora compared to Linux of the past.

Still ... They gotta work on making multimedia apps easier to deal with ...

lee n. field

mplayer
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 04:44:21 pm »

Long list of unsatisfied dependencies. Not word one about how to satisfy them. (Mandrake was much better at this.)

Debian is much better at that.  Much.

That issue ("which RPM provides what needed library?????") was one of the reasons I jumped from Red Hat to Debian.  At the time there was now way (that I knew of) to automatically resolve dependancies.  There may be now, but I don't care at this point.
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD! Why would you have the day of the LORD? It is darkness, and not light,"  Amos 5:18

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
mplayer
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2005, 05:57:23 pm »

Still ... They gotta work on making multimedia apps easier to deal with ...
Agreed. But then there's also the question of building a distribution, and how much time/people you have to assemble all that stuff, and put it in the installer.

I didn't spend much time on SuSE professional workstation, but it was great to have a DVD chock full of all sorts of stuff. Much more than can go on 3 CDs worth of Fedora.

There's also the damn licensing/patent issues. It's why RedHat and Fedora don't include that ability to play MP3 files. Well, I use Ogg anyway, but if you get stuff from other people ... And of course there's the MPAA and the movie studios with CSS. Micro$oft has the bucks to work out the deal with them for getting CSS built in. The hobbyist coders working on mplayer, Xine, and video-lan? And the commercial Linux shops, I assume, don't want to get into the pissing match, plus there's some ideological resistance as well, maybe.
lee n. field: Debian is much better at that. Much
You know, I hear this all the time from Debian enthusiasts. Used to be there was no argument. But these days, hey, you can use apt for RPM if you want. And both up2date and yum do a very good job. Well, since I mentioned pissing matches, that's all I'm gonna say about that one.  :rolleyes:  

FreedomSight

tegan

mplayer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 07:15:36 pm »

Might I recommend Mepis 3.0? Or Xandros ( Xandros has their version 3.0 out today for free...)?

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
mplayer
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 07:19:44 pm »

Might I recommend Mepis 3.0? Or Xandros ( Xandros has their version 3.0 out today for free...)?
You might, thank you. :D

I really liked the LiveCD of SimplyMEPIS, so I'd sure consider an installed version.

Alas, though, I must say that rockchucker appears to be right. I spoke too soon when I talked of Fedora becoming unstable. Since this morning's re-install, I've already had one screen freeze (with the cursor in the identical spot on the screen that was triggering freezes before) and upon reboot had to go not only through a filesystem check but through "run fsck manually."

This time there was only one error to fix, not 100. But it's not a good beginning.

I now have to suspect that the truck, the DVD player, and the computer really are all deciding to go south in the same week.

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
mplayer
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 11:03:50 pm »

I now have to suspect that the truck, the DVD player, and the computer really are all deciding to go south in the same week.
Major bummer.

I dunno. Some of my pagan friends are talking about Mercury going retrograde. :o

You could always wave a dead chicken over them. Couldn't hurt. :D  

FreedomSight

Junker

mplayer
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 11:19:38 pm »

Alton Speers

mplayer
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2005, 06:00:11 am »

You might, thank you. :D

I really liked the LiveCD of SimplyMEPIS, so I'd sure consider an installed version.

Alas, though, I must say that rockchucker appears to be right. I spoke too soon when I talked of Fedora becoming unstable. Since this morning's re-install, I've already had one screen freeze (with the cursor in the identical spot on the screen that was triggering freezes before) and upon reboot had to go not only through a filesystem check but through "run fsck manually."

This time there was only one error to fix, not 100. But it's not a good beginning.

Claire, I'm new to this Linux stuff and I quit MS cold turkey. I chose and installed the Mepis Linux. I love it! And yes, it does include a fully functional mplayer as well as xine and xmms. Granted, I haven't used it for playing DVDs as I do not have a DVD drive. I do know that every format that I have come across so far on CD and on the net has been successfully handled. Installation of Mepis was a breeze and I have the option of running either the 2.4 or the 2.6 Linux Kernel whenever I boot. It will default to 2.4 but I always choose the 2.6. Stable, fast and just plain cool!

Alton

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
mplayer
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2005, 09:54:58 am »

Claire, I'm new to this Linux stuff and I quit MS cold turkey. I chose and installed the Mepis Linux. I love it! And yes, it does include a fully functional mplayer as well as xine and xmms. Granted, I haven't used it for playing DVDs as I do not have a DVD drive. I do know that every format that I have come across so far on CD and on the net has been successfully handled. Installation of Mepis was a breeze and I have the option of running either the 2.4 or the 2.6 Linux Kernel whenever I boot. It will default to 2.4 but I always choose the 2.6. Stable, fast and just plain cool!

Hey, Alton. Good on you for the cold-turkey kick. Okay, A smooth install, newbie friendliness, and a working mplayer ... Mepis has just moved to the top of my list.

I didn't do a lot of planning before I installed Fedora. It was one of two installable Linuxes the Linux Fairy delivered on Linuxmas Day. The other one, Mandrake, wouldn't work on this machine. So ...

(Not the most intelligent way to choose a distro, I admit.)

Gonna see if I can get past these screen-freeze/filesystem problems before I install any distro, though (hoping, hoping, hoping they're not hardware-caused). If I can get a stable system, I may stick with Fedora just to avoid rocking the boat -- and because I do like it despite the glitches I've encountered.

Claire

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
mplayer
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2005, 09:59:25 am »

You could always wave a dead chicken over them. Couldn't hurt. :D
A correspondent from England tells us that one of ICL's most talented systems designers used to be called out occasionally to service machines which the field circus had given up on. Since he knew the design inside out, he could often find faults simply by listening to a quick outline of the symptoms. He used to play on this by going to some site where the field circus had just spent the last two weeks solid trying to find a fault, and spreading a diagram of the system out on a table top. He'd then shake some chicken bones and cast them over the diagram, peer at the bones intently for a minute, and then tell them that a certain module needed replacing. The system would start working again immediately upon the replacement.

:lol:

Might work, rockchucker. But I suspect it works better when a proper shaman does it.

Had to fix about 200 fs errors this morning. Pretty soon, I might have to wave a dead rhinoceros over the laptop ...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 09:59:53 am by Claire »

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
mplayer
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2005, 10:05:47 am »

Pretty soon, I might have to wave a dead rhinoceros over the laptop ...
Being stuck with MS, I occasionally want to bash my keyboard with a rhinoceros, live or dead makes no difference...
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up