The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitmessage May Replace E-Mail  (Read 1586 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Bitmessage May Replace E-Mail
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:06:44 pm »

Anyone else see this? Sounds complicated, but has potential I think.

Bitmessage May Replace E-Mail   http://dailyanarchist.com/2013/05/26/bitmessage-may-replace-e-mail/
May 26th, 2013   Submitted by Seth King

If youíre a frequenter of the Bitcoin forums and chatrooms as I am youíve likely heard of Bitmessage. Itís a new p2p distributed mail server that is completely free and open source software. I had first heard about it a few months ago but paid little attention. In the free software movement there are tons of ideas that come and go and are soon forgotten. Only after something stays around a while or a friend gets into it am I likely to give a project a closer examination. That happened last night when fellow bitcoiner and free stater Joshua Harvey announced that he had installed the software and was impressed.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
Re: Bitmessage May Replace E-Mail
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 06:09:21 pm »

Is it a sort of personal email server?
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
Re: Bitmessage May Replace E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »

The idea as far as I can explain it, is bittorent email.  As little centralized (easily destroyed) infrastructure as possible.

In reality this is a good idea, with one exception.  Most people's machines are infested with all sorts of malware.  The average user who might benefit from this application is generally technologically inept, completely unskilled with his or her tools, and with enough bittorent machines compromised (just an example) an encrypted torrent can still be snagged by a distributed zombie net manipulator if enough of the notes are zombie computers.  The same will apply to this.  Yes, most of the Linux machines may be clean or uncorrupted, but the moment you manage to add enough Windows boxen to it (and windows is fairly good if the admin is good, but I've met a dearth of good windows admins, regardless of how much they make), the network will begin to suffer from compromised systems now being "insiders."  With enough compromised "insiders," the hostiles can begin to carefully examine the system traffic, and maybe even begin to crack any and all internal systemic encryption.

Without having a way to deal with compromised machines and especially large percentages of the network being compromised at all times, this will likely result in even worse email privacy compromises than the existing NSA centers including the Utah one, Echelon and its later incarnations, Carnivore and anything else the spooks, both public and private could ever dream up.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up