The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yep... I finally did it  (Read 4793 times)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 06:03:43 am »

The wireless card on my old laptop "just worked" with Knoppix. It was a Linksys WPC11b. The card on my new laptop does not, and the Intel driver for it requires the 2.6 Linux kernel. I suppose I could use the old card, but I like that the new one can coexist with the wired network interface (gigabit ethernet), and I'm now running Linux in a Windoze window with Virtual PC, which makes the wireless network look like an ethernet interface to the virtual machine.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

velojym

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2005, 01:13:53 pm »

Just installed Fedora Core 3 on my ext partition on the notebook (Presario 2100, 512M, 20G, 2.4GCeleron) and have one bugaboo. (so far) FC3 doesn't seem to want to play nice with my Dlink G630 wireless card. It doesn't wanna admit it even exists.
Darnit.
I'm still looking around, but I thought maybe someone around here has been through this.
 :(  

snokrash257

• keithperkins.net
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 08:11:48 pm »

With the D-link card you may need to use ndiswrapper ( http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ ) which lets you use Win drivers for wireless cards on linux (because some companies don't like to play nce with Linux).  
Info on the d-link g630 is here: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki.../index.php/List

velojym

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 12:34:19 am »

egads, the cads. Thanks

henshawe

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 01:30:30 pm »

I have a question re: Linux on my lap top. I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 pentium II windoze 98 se os.  I realize this is old and slow which is why fireefox loads slowly and such, my question is, a friend has given me a linux cd, obuntu, and raves about the linux os, is my machine to old and slow to use linux? can I increase my processor speed to accomodate linux, firefox, etc. I hate windoze and really do want to change, but am just learning this techie stuff and don't want to screw up what I have.  Any advise, instructions etc. would be helpful. Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Americus

snokrash257

• keithperkins.net
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 04:10:53 pm »

Linux should install just fine. Most distros can be installed on machines with as little as 32megs of ram don't need (or want) a gui.  and 64 megs for some of the smaller footprint window managers.
Ubuntu is nice--I'm running it on my laptop, it has an option to install on lower memory systems, but depending on what you have for ram and HD space, you may want to try another distro.

velojym

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 09:35:23 pm »

Windows 98... I shiver in disgust at the memory.

F42

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2005, 02:40:26 pm »

Linux should install just fine. Most distros can be installed on machines with as little as 32megs of ram don't need (or want) a gui.  and 64 megs for some of the smaller footprint window managers.
Ubuntu is nice--I'm running it on my laptop, it has an option to install on lower memory systems, but depending on what you have for ram and HD space, you may want to try another distro.
I just bought a Dell C-600 laptop 1.0 ghz 512 mb w/CDRW. I have the Umbuntu distro CD and was hoping to venture into the wonderful world of linux soon. As I go back (wayback) to DOS 3 I am pretty good at solving Win problems, but haven't a clus about linux.

Question? Am I headed for a real steep learning curve, or is linus fairly user friendly? Also, anything better out there than this ubuntu for this machine?

Any help appreciated, cause I'm in new terrain here.

F42
People who think they know everything, are particularly annoying to those of us that do.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2005, 02:57:18 pm »

I have a Dell 600m, on which I run Windoze XP, because that's what I need for my work. It works fine with Ubuntu and Knoppix, though neither recognizes its wireless networking card. Ubuntu looks to me to be a nice distribution if you plan to use your computer, as many do, for internet access and word processing. It's a "user" distro. Knoppix, on the other hand, is a "kitchen sink" distro, containing just about anything anybody could want. Personally, I like Gentoo, but you need to be somewhat of a geek to use it. It allows you to tailor your own build from source, and has the nicest release maintenance system I've seen; no more library version mismatches, as long as you don't mind being a little behind the bleeding edge.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005, 04:13:45 pm »

as long as you don't mind being a little behind the bleeding edge.

If perchance I want or need "bleeding edge" I can build it from source.......so I prefer "rock stable" to bells and whistles.....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

F42

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2005, 04:53:29 pm »

I have a Dell 600m, on which I run Windoze XP, because that's what I need for my work. It works fine with Ubuntu and Knoppix, though neither recognizes its wireless networking card. Ubuntu looks to me to be a nice distribution if you plan to use your computer, as many do, for internet access and word processing. I,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, long as you don't mind being a little behind the bleeding edge.
Well I'm pretty much done with the geek thing. Hell I still use Win98SE on this machine. It is sooo tuned that I haven't seen a blue screen in years. But, I'm moving and downsizing so WP & Internet is about all I do now. I have told the wife that she has to go back to doing the math for the checkbook and sha hasn't spoken to me since.

Bleeding? No thanks, don't have the heart for it.

I'll load the Ubuntu on it and play with it. Hopefully I won't need zanax when I'm done.

Thanks, Bill,....   and Zoot, well I might go your way if I was a little yunger. :D

F42
People who think they know everything, are particularly annoying to those of us that do.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up