The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Yep... I finally did it  (Read 4806 times)

thedave

Yep... I finally did it
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:13:25 pm »

Hey, y'all... Long time no type. B) Sorry 'bout that, but life has been happening.

Some time back, I posted about putting Linux on my laptop.  Well.... After months of procrastinating, I did what any good procrastinator does:  I found me a Linux geek and asked what he'd wanted to set me up dual-boot.  Delegation is a wonderful thing.

I'm now running SuSE Linux 9.2 and have been adjusting okay.

Software being software, I've been able to do most of the things I normally did under windoze.  It's only when I decide that I want to change a setting that I start having difficulty.  <sigh>  Oh, well.  I have managed to *not* mess things up too badly, and even figured out a few things.  Namely, that I don't WANT to know linux like my geek friend does.  Scary, that.  

Balance

D

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 11:15:59 pm »

Welcome back, thedave.  :)  Glad to see you back from your roamings.

And congrats on getting Linux on the laptop. Just curious: What version of Windows are you dual-booting with?

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 12:28:07 am »

Namely, that I don't WANT to know linux like my geek friend does.

Yeah.....that's what they all say......at first*grin*

After all.....what it does now is "nothing" compared to what it can do with a little massaging.....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 07:48:34 am »

Namely, that I don't WANT to know linux like my geek friend does.

After all.....what it does now is "nothing" compared to what it can do with a little massaging.....
Well, I've been at Linux for three years next month and I still don't wanna know Linux as my geek friends know it (which, I'm occasionally convinced, is in the biblical sense  ;) ).

Definitely, I get more comfortable with it all the time, and less fearful of mucking around with command-line functions and configuration files (Thank you, Linux Fairy). But some of us will always be -- and want to be -- mere riders of the desktop.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 09:36:59 am »

(which, I'm occasionally convinced, is in the biblical sense)

Now Claire......you really don't want to get a factory rat talking about that stuff.....now do you? :P

And I'll only say(giving some sense of respect in choice of language because this is NOT a political thread)
That I'm not EVEN going to mention how many times in the last ten years that I've felt that I got "frooged" by both windows and linux because I didn't know how to do something or other and "frooged" my system up, but yet as time goes on and you learn more this happens less and less, till at some point all of a sudden you realize that whether you wanted to or not you did go deeper than you had ever intended to, and instead of asking, you're now an answering questions......
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 08:05:32 pm »

(which, I'm occasionally convinced, is in the biblical sense)

Now Claire......you really don't want to get a factory rat talking about that stuff.....now do you? :P

And some of us are in usenet to read the articles,  too!  :-D
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

thedave

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 05:03:40 am »

And congrats on getting Linux on the laptop. Just curious: What version of Windows are you dual-booting with?

Claire -

Can't say I'm pleased to be back in the US... But, hey... One makes do, I guess.

I'm running XP on the other side, as it were.  I have noticed that the Windoze partition acts a bit quirky sometimes.... Little things... Like only some of my touchpad buttons working.... Or some file associations having changed/disappeared.  <sigh>  I think Herr Gates is miffed or something.

Zoot -

Uh-huh.... Right.   :D  In some ways, I'm a typical user:  I want to turn on my computer and do my work.  That's not soooo much to ask is it?  

That being said, I'm not so typical in that I like to be able to trouble shoot to the best of my ability.  Gods know I can't really afford to be buyin' the geek lunch every time I have a problem.   :lol:

Overall, though... It's been relatively painless.  

Balance

D

velojym

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 11:16:36 pm »

No problems installing RedHat 9 on my Presario 2100 notebook, (a few months ago) though I still have to tweak it to access this hotspot with my DLink wireless card.
I nuked the original NTFS partition and replaced it with FAT32, split it in twain, and installed RH9 alongside WinXP.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 01:53:59 pm »

velojym,

The one good thing that I can say about M$/OSS dual booting is that linux "can" see the M$ partition and manipulate files on it windows seems to be completely unaware of the linux partition and anything on it*grin*.....making linux in this case....the ghost in your computer to the folks in Redmond

velojym

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 04:12:22 pm »

Yah, Zoot... that's how I 'caught' my ex, Linux didn't think much of the password setup on her chat logs. oops   :ph34r:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 04:12:46 pm by velojym »

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 11:11:25 pm »

I've been playing with Linux Live CDs today. Got the latest Knoppix and Ubuntu Linux booting off of CDs on my Dell 600m laptop. Unfortunately, after working at it for several hours, I was unable to get either distribution to recognize my wireless networking card (don't bother trying to help unless you've actually done this). I'm typing this in the QEMU emulator running Ubuntu in a window in Windoze XP. The emulator slows the machine down a lot, but it's usable, once you wait for it to boot.

Ubuntu is aesthetically pleasing. It's a pretty full featured desktop system with very little support for programming, but Firefox comes built in as does the Gimp and Open Office. Nicely done, and very pretty. Based on Morphix.

"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

snokrash257

• keithperkins.net
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 09:19:00 pm »

I don't think that you can get the wireless working with those live cds.  The cards use proprietary drivers, and don't have linux ones.  You can set it up on the system when you install using ndiswrapper, and the windows drivers.
I just put Ubuntu on my gateway m520 laptop, and it is working marvelously.Only problem I've had is with the sound, but that seems to be happening a lot with Debian based distros (fro me) lately, and it's actually a known problem (with a fix) for gateway laptops.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 11:24:34 am »

snorkrash,

One would have to take a wander through /lib/modules/* and "see" if there are no kernel modules for wireless cards before determining if indeed wireless cards just won't work.
After all, before there were "winwireless" cards there were still wireless cards that worked under linux like the orinoco gold card, and I've managed to get a prism2 USB card working under DSL(damn small linux) by typing in the lines which would normally have been contained in a script at the command prompt...
When compiling the kernels for "most" of the "liveCD" distributions I've found that most are built with every bell and whistle built as modules thus allowing maximum compatability for hardware rather than the opposite as would be the case in a space restricted or embedded build.......after all modules are relatively "cheap" and rarely use more than 50k of disk space if even that much.......

snokrash257

• keithperkins.net
Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 11:46:18 am »

That may be the case (and I did simpify it in my post, because many cards do just work in Linux), but Broadcom does not make (or support) drivers for Linux for their integrated wireless cards, and don't offer any help to people in the open source community for building them..  And neither do several other vendors.That's why ndiswrapper is useful.  It's just like the so-called winmodems, and trying to get them working in linux, except some goodpeople figured out a way to use the proprietary drivers for the wireless cards.  

thedave

Yep... I finally did it
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 08:36:38 pm »

The one good thing that I can say about M$/OSS dual booting is that linux "can" see the M$ partition and manipulate files on it windows seems to be completely unaware of the linux partition and anything on it*grin*.....making linux in this case....the ghost in your computer to the folks in Redmond

While this one is true... To a point, I've made an interesting discovery about my dual boot that I'm not entirely sure what to do about.  

Basically, I decided to remove some of the software on the MS partition, and do a defrag.  Weeeeeellllll... XP seems to have decided whenever I boot into Windoze that the system has recovered from a system error.  ????????? Then, of course, it wants to send a error report to MS.  Uhhhhhh... Nope.  No dice.  

You see... The only reason I am even going into windows any more is to a:  Play DVDs (VLC doesn't seem to handle 'em very well), and b:  Play the one game I can safely install on this laptop o' mine.  I only got 16 mb of video ram so gaming is pretty much a non-starter, but this one is pretty cool, so I keep it.  <sigh>  

I'm guessing that my windoze has figured out it's now the second fiddle, and getting upset.

Balance

the Dave
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up