The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HughesNet  (Read 6542 times)

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
Re: HughesNet
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 07:10:43 pm »

Is there a free, reliable tool I can use to measure my downloading?  And I would need to measure how much ALL my devices download to see if I could survive with a 550MB limit.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 10:18:46 pm »

Is there a free, reliable tool I can use to measure my downloading?  And I would need to measure how much ALL my devices download to see if I could survive with a 550MB limit.

You can use Speedtest.net to test your current download and upload speeds.

If you want to see how much data you're actually using (upload and download), check out this article on cnet.

For what it's worth, I use between 11 and 17 gigabytes per month (no daily cap, no throttling) tethering my 4G Smartphone.  If I go over 12 GB per month, I get billed an extra $10 per gigabyte, but, as I said, no daily cap, no throttling.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Kurt

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 05:11:15 pm »

Forget to mention, it's unlimited downloads from 2am - 7am eastern every day.  If you were throttled, it's discontinued between those hours.  If I'm running bit torrent or doing a full website download, I'll schedule it to run during those hours.  Any usage during that time doesn't count toward the daily limit.

I once heard the algorithm hughesnet uses for the cap/limit described like this:  imagine a bucket of water with a small steady stream of water filling it from the top.  When you download, you're emptying the bucket from the bottom.  You can get a big flow out for a little while, but once the bucket (the 550mb) is empty, you're only able to go as fast as the small steady stream that's refilling it.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 02:17:40 pm »

I received the following email:

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:55:57 -0500
Subject: Immediate Link Removal
From: Satellite Internet <internet.hughesnet.com@gmail.com>
To: webmaster@thementalmilitia.com

Hello,

I am a digital operations manager for HughesNet and am emailing you to
inform you that your website is linking to
Internet.hughesnet.com<http://internet.hughesnet.com/>.
This link is outside of our strict brand guidelines and is adversely
affecting our site. Our management team kindly requests that you remove
this link immediately.

Linked page:

http://thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=32718.0

If this link is not removed, it will be disavowed directly through Google
and could have an adverse impact on your site.

If you have any questions regarding this please email me at your
convenience.

Sincerely,

Paul S.
*HughesNet Systems*
*Digital Operations & Compliance Manager*

Here is my proposed reply (not yet sent):

You have no authority to make any demands whatsoever on my site's linking to public pages on yours. Don't want something linked? Don't make it available without a login. That's how the web works. Get used to it.

Push the issue, and you will hear much swearing.

Bill St. Clair
Webmaster, thementalmilitia.com
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 02:46:41 pm »

You, Sir Bill, just made my day and put a huge smile on my face. Thank You!
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

bennie

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 05:28:43 am »

Bill, I don't understand the email from HughesNet...what it is that they are complaining about. Can you break it down in layman's terms?

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 09:00:02 am »

They appear to be complaining about us simply linking to their product page. I would guess their complaint actually stems from the discussion here about details of their service that they would rather not advertise, but that would only be a guess. I read their "Terms and Conditions" page, and don't see how we could be infringing on any of their trademarks or copyrights, but that wasn't what he complained about. He demanded that I remove the link, which is absurd.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 11:36:20 am »

This line in the header:
From: Satellite Internet <internet.hughesnet.com@gmail.com>

Is a real question, as it's a generic "blanket" email address, not from the stated "Paul S." and not even from hughsnet smtp service but instead from gmail.

Does it occur to you Bill, if you hadn't thought about it already, that hughsnet would display their own email service in the headers of any and all emails coming from hughesnet rather than sleazing/cheesing out using a hotmail gmail addresses for business correspondance?
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »

Does it occur to you Bill, if you hadn't thought about it already, that hughsnet would display their own email service in the headers of any and all emails coming from hughesnet rather than sleazing/cheesing out using a hotmail gmail addresses for business correspondance?

I did wonder about that for a minute. Thanks for bringing it up. Yes, a real communication from HughesNet would come from a HughesNet.com address. Makes me wonder even more why somebody would send such a missive from a personal email account. I think I shall ignore it.

Mr. Bill

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 10:13:33 pm »

...I am a digital operations manager for HughesNet and am emailing you to
inform you that your website is linking to
Internet.hughesnet.com<http://internet.hughesnet.com/>.
This link is outside of our strict brand guidelines and is adversely
affecting our site. Our management team kindly requests that you remove
this link immediately. ...

Here is a relevant article:

The Golden Era Of Spam Comments Has Ended

In brief, Google is now penalizing the search rankings of sites that have too many links from unrelated web pages.  This helps to nuke sites that are using spam posts to try to improve their rankings.  Companies which have previously used spammers are now in a panic to remove spam links to their sites.

That business about "adversely affecting our site" means they're afraid a link from TMM to their site will count against them in Google's rankings.

In other words, they're asking you to do SEO work for them, for free.

bennie

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 05:00:01 am »

I get it! Thanks Bill St. Clair and others!

To HughesNet: I am thankful for your services because I have no other choice where I live (besides dial-up ... and I don't have a phone line to my home though I could get one). Your sevice was decent when I first ordered in 2006 and has improved considerably over time ever since.

To biggie gooberment: Thanks for meddling so I don't have more choices. I might make the wrong decision for service if I didn't have you.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 12:38:12 am »

I did wonder about that for a minute. Thanks for bringing it up.
I'll bet if you checked the full headers you'd find that mail bounced around more than a basketball at an NBA game.

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up