The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HEY Programmers - I need a simple program written  (Read 2943 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: HEY Programmers - I need a simple program written
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:29 am »

On the other hand...

When I had dialup (a LONG time), I had such connection problems a lot in the early days. I didn't know about widgets and stuff then, so I would copy a long article I wished to read, then paste it to my word processor. Once I was done browsing to find articles, I could then take my time reading them off line. Just a thought...
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50:41 pm »

Bill.  I haven't bothered to pull the source and read through it, got way too much stuff on my plate to fry my brain thinking up a solution to this, as well, but try having your refresh page include random data generated by the server when the refresh comes up.

Warning: it may add extra overhead to the server itself depending how many people try to use it and with that, it may become a limited pathway for DOS/DDOS unless HTTPS / logon only (you may wish to only permit usage for users logged on and authenticated, maybe HTTPS it for that purpose.)

If Gooch's ISP is using a squid type caching server, its possible that since the site ONLY gets/pulls that particular page, and the content didn't change, it was squid cached, so no new internet traffic was generated pulling new content.  ISP probably checks for those types of keep alives, and dropped it.  Possible.

You probably want "new data" to get pulled when your page is queried, and some random generated or even pseudorandom gibberish type data would do the trick and stop a squid server from caching a page as having had no changes on refresh.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 10:06:16 pm »

Well ... here's AAR #2.

Apparently the ISP closes all of its connections twice a day.
Once around 4:30 or 5:00 ish and then again around midnight.

Using Stayalivepro I am able to read what I want without losing the connection But If I leave the thing running through those time slots the connection gets pulled.
Fortunately Firefox is set to reload the connection if it is "lost".
Then the stayalivepro gets back in the game and keeps it "alive" again.

I went to town and came back to find the "You are now connected" balloon [gads I hate those balloons but ... in this case its OK] and the connection was up and running.

So .... it looks like the stayalivepro is doing the trick.

Thanks to all for the assistance.
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 11:55:58 pm »

well, I'm glad to have helped, even though I only provided a workaround rather than a solution.

I remember back a thousand years ago, in internet time, when I paid $150 a month for my very own modem at my ISP, thus that I never got booted.
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 09:18:38 pm »

well, I'm glad to have helped, even though I only provided a workaround rather than a solution.

I remember back a thousand years ago, in internet time, when I paid $150 a month for my very own modem at my ISP, thus that I never got booted.
emphasis is mine

Still Zoot, a workaround suits me to a T.
It requires of me very little. Turn it on, set it to "Active" and relax.
Even a salt encrusted sea dog can handle that much.

:thrbiggrin:  :thumbsup:
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up