The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 is the most bestest ever!  (Read 1250 times)

mi6a2lm

• http://emtaz.com
Windows 8 is the most bestest ever!
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:55:30 pm »

Friend bought a new computer with Windows 8 - he's finally making the switch to Ubuntu. No dual boot.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/12/06/1544216/windows-8-a-christmas-gift-for-someone-you-hate
---
"Microsoft is no stranger to criticism these days, and the company's new Windows 8 platform is once again the target of a scathing review from a high-profile user. Well-known Internet entrepreneur and MIT professor Philip Greenspun handed Windows 8 one of its most damning reviews yet earlier this week, calling the new operating system a 'Christmas gift for someone you hate.' Greenspun panned almost every aspect of Microsoft's new software, noting that Microsoft had four years to study Android and more than five to examine iOS, but still couldn't build a usable tablet experience..."
---
“This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you can never afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” - ADM James Stockdale

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: Windows 8 is the most bestest ever!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:32:09 am »

Tomshardware benchmarked it for game play, no improvement.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

lee n. field

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:22:32 pm »

Windows 8 is a practice run for the end times "abomination of desolation".

A hideous mess of a user interface.

Hint: google for "classic shell" -- a freebie that tames a good bit of the interface nonsense, and gives you the start menu we've all learned to use over the last 15 years.

e's finally making the switch to Ubuntu.

I saw Win8 described as "taking Unity* and making it less useful"

(*Unity, Ubuntu's default interface.  I've seen worse, but I've moved to using Mate desktop (a clone of the Gnome 2 desktop) on Ubuntu.  Google it.  Or Ixquick it, for the paranoid.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:26:57 pm by lee n. field »
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD! Why would you have the day of the LORD? It is darkness, and not light,"  Amos 5:18

mi6a2lm

• http://emtaz.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:04:16 am »

Apparently Ubuntu was corrupted on the ISO disc or he couldn't get it working - he went ahead and found a Win7 DVD.  ... whatever's clever.
“This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you can never afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” - ADM James Stockdale

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:48:57 am »

I'm still trying to find a program compatible with ubuntu so I can print my Avery type business cards. I'm having to keep one old computer able to boot Windows just to be able to do this. Anybody got any suggestions?

Is this any good? http://glabels.org/download/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:56:23 am by MamaLiberty »
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 03:42:06 pm »

I'm still trying to find a program compatible with ubuntu so I can print my Avery type business cards. I'm having to keep one old computer able to boot Windows just to be able to do this. Anybody got any suggestions?

Is this any good? http://glabels.org/download/

How strange, I've used Libre Office on Mint, and had no issues sizing stuff up for my card stock.  Now if only my desk cutter could cut straight, I'd be in heaven!
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:51:03 pm »

How strange, I've used Libre Office on Mint, and had no issues sizing stuff up for my card stock.  Now if only my desk cutter could cut straight, I'd be in heaven!

The label maker in Ubuntu actually seems to work ok... once I really bothered to understand it. Not intuitive or very helpful like some others I've used, but acceptable for basics. There is no "wrap" for the text, so you have to be very careful how you use it.

It turns out that my laser printer is the actual problem. sigh The paper feed is miserable, and I have to turn it off and back on between each print job. No idea what that's all about.  Guess it's time to go looking for a better printer if I'm going to produce stuff like this.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up