The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Owns You?  (Read 51989 times)

cowardly lion

Who Owns You?
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:40:45 am »

Who Owns You?

Think about this concept for a minute or two.  Who Owns You?  Who is entitled to the product of your hands, head or heart?  Who has first claim on your life?  To whom do you have to answer for decisions that determine your direction, you plans, your dreams and goals?

Some of you reading this will have given over at least some portion of your life to a personal Savior.  Others will have given over some of their life to a significant other.  But what is the true answer?

The true and honest answer is, you own you.  The cases mentioned above are legitimate only with voluntary relinquishment of control, and even then you are still the final arbiter of your thoughts, words and deeds.

Important note:  you own not only your thoughts, words and deeds, you own the results, both the production and the consequences.

Here's a heads-up:  the government, any government at every level, thinks it owns you.  While some of us protest the government's hand in our pockets, vast numbers rely on the government owning the consequences of their actions.  Big bank and corporate bailouts, generations of welfare recipients whose only productive activity is gaming the system, you know what I'm talking about.

Some governments, we usually refer to them as totalitarian or dictatorships, implement this practice openly.  This is what happens with a disarmed populace.  Other governments, usually referred to as democracies or republics, pretend you have a modicum of control over your own life by periodically holding what are loosely termed  elections.  This is where a majority of the votes, gathered either legally or illegally,  are used to determine what shall be done with your life.

And this is what is going on in the United States of America right now.  More and more special interest groups believe they have a claim on your life, your earnings, your savings, even your personal protection.  And if they can garner enough votes, they get it.

While democracy may seem a reasonable alternative to totalitarianism, it more honestly can be called the tyranny of the majority.  Remember, for many decades in the United States, slavery was completely legal.  Doesn't say much for majority rule, does it?

Have you ever heard someone say 'If you don't vote, you can't complain'?  Unfortunately, the exact opposite is true.  If you vote, you buy in to the process that whoever gets the most votes wins, and therefore you cannot complain about the outcome.  Remember, if your side had won, you would have been imposing your will on the minority.

So, who owns you?  Is it your neighbors,  your alleged representatives, or an administration deciding they know what's best and writing executive orders?  No.  You own you, and you alone are responsible for all of your thoughts, words and deeds.   Anything taken from you aside from voluntary agreement is theft.   The consequences of your actions aren't included because you cannot abdicate that responsibility.  The 'I was only following orders' defense doesn't hold water.

I am trying to create a meme around the question Who Owns You?  Some of you will see this on Facebook, some of you will see this in an email, others will see it on one or more of a few forums I frequent.  Please pass it along if you think it worthwhile.  I'll know I have succeeded when I see it returning to me from quarters I didn't expect.

Who Owns You?
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Who Owns You?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:42:53 am »

Excellent. Classic and simple without being simplistic. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

StillaGhost

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:29 am »

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 05:51:43 pm by StillaGhost »

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:32:34 am »

Excellent. Classic and simple without being simplistic. :)

Make it a Sticky................seriously.

Will do. :)

cowardly lion

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »

Sticky?  Seriously?   :rolleyes:

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:12:56 pm »

Sticky?  Seriously?   :rolleyes:

Probably only temporary... but this is very good for new folks to read.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:56:43 pm »

Why only temporary?  This is an issue that is eternal is it not?
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:18:31 am »

Temporary only if it seems to lose immediacy, really. We already have so many things "stickied" that they tend to get lost as it is. Bump it every once in a while if nobody comments on it. :)

Ardmore

• Oops!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:49:16 pm »

I vote for sticky.
Suckers try to win arguments, nonsuckers try to win. Nassim Taleb

Clip Johnson

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:36 pm »

An excellent synopsis on the actual state of affairs.

Thank you, Cowardly Lion!

cowardly lion

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:34:31 pm »

You're welcome.  Please pass it along in any forum you wish.  Attribution isn't necessary.

cl

mouse

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 05:55:46 am »

:hello: Time to admit that I did pass it on.  I did attribute it to you though.  I didn't want it to seem too American though, so where you said "and this is what's going on in the United States of America right now", I substituted "and this is what is going on in most places right now".

:sunny:

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:07:35 am »

Temporary only if it seems to lose immediacy, really. We already have so many things "stickied" that they tend to get lost as it is. Bump it every once in a while if nobody comments on it. :)

OK I shall make every effort to keep it up on the list when the sticky wears off.

In My Humble Opinion this should wind up being yet another long lived thread Like the one about the imitation food stuffs whose producer is going out of business.

:rolleyes:
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:24:09 am »

OK I shall make every effort to keep it up on the list when the sticky wears off.

In My Humble Opinion this should wind up being yet another long lived thread Like the one about the imitation food stuffs whose producer is going out of business.

:rolleyes:

That would be wonderful. :) I hope we can have some good discussion about this. Twinkies are more fun, of course. :)

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 09:38:59 am »

I'm always surprised by how many people I will ask this question of, and their response always contains a "but".

"I do, but..."   "No one does, but..."

Some of them have surprised me, as there do seem to be people who have convinced themselves they are not, should not, and will not think of themselves as individual entities.  They purport to believe that they are "owned" by society and that they genuinely owe other people portions of themselves based on social agreements.

That's okay, of course, even if it's alien to me.  It's easy enough to move on to, "Okay, but not everyone thinks that way.  How do we get along together?  You owing people whatever they agree you owe them, and I being a peaceful individual who owns himself in whole?  Surely these two beliefs can live side-by-side peacefully if we want to?   Or do you believe that your social acts of claim against other people include those who don't want to participate, and that your belief is so superior you have a right to force people to abide?"

Obvious this gets uncomfortable very quickly, but the responses can be telling.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up