The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Linux OS as .exe file  (Read 1899 times)

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
Small Linux OS as .exe file
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:53:30 pm »

I'm trying to resurrect a very old laptop.

3 gb hd, 256 mb

For whatever reason it simply refuses to install an OS via the CD drive, but it does have a zip drive, I'm looking for DSL or Puppy or what have you to download to the zip drive, then boot the machine off it, and install.

Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Small Linux OS as .exe file
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:25:32 am »

I've got half a dozen versions of Puppy here, along with a number of other linux OS, but I wouldn't have a clue how to install them if they won't boot from a CD. Maybe ZooT will break silence and answer this one. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:55:42 am »

286, 386 or 486 processor?  a 16-bit 286 cpu probably will not run anything including linux.  a 386 is also problematic, linux will not support that processor shortly......  A 486 is a 32bit processor so it can probably handle the O/S, but you may run into memory issues.  There was an old 1st Megabyte/Gigabyte(?) divide in computer memory in those days that required special software to address "Higher memory" if the kernal of linux is big enough, the machine may as well be a doorstop.........

You would probably need a floppy drive and disks with the install program on them........or be able to transfer the O/S onto the HD and install from there (Old dos commands I can't remember).
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 01:24:23 pm »

No.  The main issue isn't that.  The main issue with the older machines is that even in THOSE days, you could not install Linux (or any operating system) off the CDROM.  You installed a floppy disk boot loader similar to the MSCDEX.EXE (cdrom text mode driver for DOS/early Windows.)  I wager most of you folks weren't tweakers back then, but I can guarantee you any geek who did software back then, will remember the stack of floppies that the first Windows 95 came on.  And these were the PENTIUM days, we're not talking 386SX's with optional math co-processors and a whopping 8 megs of RAM.  You had to request the CDROM version.  Only certain OEM's who built actual CD-bootable systems included CDs.

Honestly, get a halfway decent machine and virtualize your actual operating session if you feel nostalgia for the native Doom.exe days.

Didn't finish: 256 megs of ram tells me post Pentium II days, (Pentium 1 was limited by motherboards to about 92 megs of EDO) so you probably have a bad BIOS or a BIOS that wasn't designed to boot cds (or a damaged cdrom, controller, etc, that'd be my guess.)  Some of the cd readers in those days also had a piss poor inability to boot from CDRW's, if that's what your disk is (or CDR's for that matter, there was mass craziness amongst some of my buddies back then as we all argued and fought for a decent CD reader as much as for a recorder.  And then there were the media incompatibilities, ye old gods of darkness!)

My advice is to see if you can boot it with a Windows 95/98 boot/rescue/install CD.  OEM cds like that can still be found.  If you need, I might dig one of mine up and run up an ISO of it (might take me a few days, since I got lots of crazy stuff going on in my neck of the woods.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:31:01 pm by khyeron »
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:01:47 pm »

Well, wound up putting WinBlows on the thing.

As for the Cd thing, when messing around on these old boxes some from the factory will refuse to install anything "except for" what they were designed to run.

IBM is notorious for that one

I tried:

Ubuntu
Knoppix
Mint
 Da Nada, I wanted DSL but discovered the project had gone mostly dormant, Puppy did not come in a .Exe type of file that my setup would have needed to work.

Feather would boot, so would "Ubuntu Ultimate 1.7" but they lacked the ease of install I was looking for in it.

I run 256 mb boxes all of the time, no problems really, even with Windows, key is to disable all of the flash/script etc that supposedly enhances the internet experience.. :rolleyes:

Just loved the idea of Linux on an old box that would be completely reliable at a 100 mb installed OS..ah well.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:25:11 am »

MSCDEX.exe, that was one of the things I was trying to remember.  I am a hobbiest that can build his own, not a professional that has upgraded a few thousand boxes, so ther you go.......

I had a system that booted off a Bernouli box drive- a pantium 90- depending which of 3 disks i used..... I was running WinDOS, Linux, Or an apple virtual machine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:27:48 am by Rarick »
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »

DLoaded and burned Mint 12 (the last CD size) and the box is just to old to use it

Graphics ballsed up, went right to text mode.

Would have loved a DSL install w/pcmcia wifi card drivers built in but alas, was not meant to be.

100 MB OS on that old box would have really brought it back to life. As it is with windblows had to cripple it with no flash etc
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

• Given up.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »

MSCDEX.exe, that was one of the things I was trying to remember.  I am a hobbiest that can build his own, not a professional that has upgraded a few thousand boxes, so ther you go.......

What're friends for?  :D

That said, padre, you may get away with a kernel downgrade, but you'll have to find a cd/dvd for an older version of your chosen Linux flavor.  It'll be tricky to go back to 2.4 or 2.2 kernel.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »

What're friends for?  :D

That said, padre, you may get away with a kernel downgrade, but you'll have to find a cd/dvd for an older version of your chosen Linux flavor.  It'll be tricky to go back to 2.4 or 2.2 kernel.

Issue for me is I've not messed around with a ndiswrapper

Think DSL or something that comes with Flash would be perfect for that box, however, the Linux versions nowadays have went to DVD and I no havey a DVD burner.

Would love to sport a vintage box with Linux around the 1000 dollar laptop crowd.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 11:42:32 pm »

FWIW, dloaded Puppy and created the CD after upgrading the HD.

Puppy is kinda sweet really, Linux is slowly becoming almost...user friendly?
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

lee n. field

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:24:59 am »

3 gb hd, 256 mb

For whatever reason it simply refuses to install an OS via the CD drive, but it does have a zip drive, I'm looking for DSL or Puppy or what have you to download to the zip drive, then boot the machine off it, and install.

A laptop with a zip drive,.  I've never heard of one with a built in zip.  If it can boot off a USB zip, it should be able to boot off a usb memory stick.  That would be the direction I would look at going.

Otherwise, one of the Debian installers could probably be made to work. 
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD! Why would you have the day of the LORD? It is darkness, and not light,"  Amos 5:18

• Given up.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 10:44:58 am »

Yes and no.  It does depend on what the man's got in the bios.  Some of the older BIOS setups could boot from LS120, M-Optical, zip and jazz drives, etc, but not USB stick or SD/MMC type stuff.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »

3 gb hd, 256 mb

A laptop with a zip drive,.  I've never heard of one with a built in zip.  If it can boot off a USB zip, it should be able to boot off a usb memory stick.  That would be the direction I would look at going.

Otherwise, one of the Debian installers could probably be made to work.

One of the issues I'm running into is the mousepad is so old it does not work properly.

As for the Zip drive, yeah baby a whole 250 mb of storage!

Trying to flash the Bios and of course, it won't allow me to access the Bios to setup booting from the floppy drive, only a CD, and of course the Bios upgrade will only run on a floppy..not a Zip drive.

Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

• Given up.
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

Actually you should be able to boot into the win98 or any other decent preinstall environment, and setup USB connectivity or IDE connectivity to your zip disk, etc.

From there, and since it behaves similarly to a dos environment / text mode, you "should" be able to flash the bios.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 03:08:16 am »

http://creeperz.zapto.org:2048/Slacko%20Puppy%205.4.exe

Doubleclick within windows to install. Installs to C:\Puppy-Linux
Usage and uninstallation instructions are at start button-->All Programs-->Slacko Puppy 5.4-->readme,txt

It's 161 megs installed.

And no, I will not provide free support
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up