The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide to use Ubuntu as media and storage center  (Read 1688 times)

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
Guide to use Ubuntu as media and storage center
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »

These are the tools we'll need to work with our drives. Next, click on the Dash (the purple button at the top of Ubuntu's dock), and search for GParted. Click on it to start it up. You should see a list of your drives in the dropdown at the top-right corner of the screen. Choose one of your other drives (not the one that has Ubuntu installed), and then go to Device > Create Partition Table. Click OK, and then select the "unallocated" partition. Press the "New Partition" button in the upper right-hand corner, and format it as ext4. Label it whatever you want (like "Media" or "WindowsBackup"), and click Add. Then, click the green check mark in GParted's toolbar. It will format your drive. Note which drive it is on your system (e.g., /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc) and repeat this process for your other drives

http://lifehacker.com/5919558/turn-an-old-computer-into-a-networked-backup-streaming-or-torrenting-machine-with-ubuntu

Seems like a good guide on how to set up an older machine for everything from private storage to downloading Bittorrent stuff.

Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: Guide to use Ubuntu as media and storage center
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:36:54 am »

Hmmmm.  I might have a few old parts laying around........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:39 pm »

Given that its a machine that won't be serving customers, I'm shocked that nobody's simply setup their old rig as an encrypted FTP (or SCP/SFTP or some such idea) server and put a script on there to pull torrents.  Much faster and hands free.  Maybe a bit of SSH magic if it needs managing over a network and you can disconnect the monitor.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:28:07 pm »

Given that its a machine that won't be serving customers, I'm shocked that nobody's simply setup their old rig as an encrypted FTP (or SCP/SFTP or some such idea) server and put a script on there to pull torrents.  Much faster and hands free.  Maybe a bit of SSH magic if it needs managing over a network and you can disconnect the monitor.

Actually, they have, it is called a MPC center or something like this replete with it's own VPN

Idea being to avoid the draconian "DMCA" which pretty much locks out anyone who plays 6 or more copyrighted materials.

Idea being, you can just access your own private net to watch that stuff

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/05/how-to-turn-your-computer-into-the-ultimate-remote-access-media-server/

http://lifehacker.com/5978098/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-personal-vpn-for-secure-browsing-anywhere-you-go

The raspberry pi is a fascinating concept, 30 bucks or less, low powered, can think of tons of uses for it, would like a Linux app that decodes the standard APCO 25 digital standard.
This is one of the genesis's of a sort of rural/urban fusion both sides can benefit, no initiation of force, maybe some bridges of understanding being built etc
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:34:54 pm by padre29 »
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

• Given up.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:49:28 pm »

I've been game for rural/urban mixes for enhanced usability and freedom of choice and action, since I've noticed that waiting for the world to end, or hoping the bad guys will lose will not defend my freedom nor increase the joyful aspects of life, mine, or anyone else's.

As a side note (modify): I didn't actually keep up with the media stuff, but I did build a hands off box to do menial tasks too.  I just didn't call it an MPC.  :)  Its more of an Eddie, without the mobility.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 05:02:33 pm »

Exactly, for me I'm just fascinated how such a rural/urban mix would work and what it would look like.

I've looked into DMCRA's ramifications, it is quite powerful, imo it would be better just to host media on a private net then to access via the web.

My question is more along the lines of how much bandwith such a system would need?

I also think such a hub could be an excellent way to hack around data plans expenses, simply access the home media hub instead of paying the $$$

Not a hacker per se, but why not simply have a home based BBS to share texts?
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

• Given up.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:15:45 pm »

If you're using your wireless or smartphone to look up the data on your home server, you're still using the data plan, probably with a per minute charge, unless its a device made for wifi, tunneling directly over the open net (encrypted tunnel preferably.)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:50:02 am »

Not a hacker per se, but why not simply have a home based BBS to share texts?
Writting a BBS shell for linux is trivial and a very good beginner project to learn the shell and how it works.
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:07:32 pm »

If you're using your wireless or smartphone to look up the data on your home server, you're still using the data plan, probably with a per minute charge, unless its a device made for wifi, tunneling directly over the open net (encrypted tunnel preferably.)

Exactly, use the local free wifi to access the home network for media.

This to me is the DIY future for those who wish to not have their wallet ripped off of their ass to access such entertainment.

Granted, most media is utter pap, however there are times when such access would prove helpful.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:33:19 am »

Or you can do what I did, and cough the cash for a couple of 5 Watt wireless amplifiers and start a mesh network.
Under $200 and you can cover a 1 mile circle.....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up