The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review- Founders by JWR  (Read 2126 times)

DiabloLoco

Review- Founders by JWR
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:45:38 pm »

I just finished (really...just now) Founders, by James Wesley Rawles. I bought the book off of Amazon on JWR's "Book Bomb Day". It actually arrived in just two days. Quick! Founders is the third installment of the series. All three books are set in the same time frame, so although they do compliment each other, they do not need to be read in any order.

OK.....On to the review-

I'll start with the pros, and then the cons.

PROS-

Good story. JWR seems to be getting better at writing fiction. Much more well written than "Patriots", for example, by way of flow and story telling ability.

Some new interesting characters introduced, alongside some already established ones.

A page turner. I read it fairly quickly. I liked how the book "hopped around" from character to character, locale to locale, from chapter to chapter. Kept it fresh.

I also liked how the book ended a ways into the future.

OK.....The dreaded cons.

CONS-

Some of the material was recycled from JWR's earlier books. Most notably, Ken and Terry Layton's trek out of Chicago. When I say recycled, I almost want to say word for word, exactly. LAME! LAZY!

There wasn't as much tactical expertise.....I don't know.....Instructions? As there was in "Patriots". "Patriots" read more like a field manual that just happened to have a story to it. "Founders"  was just a story. Not much else. At least that's my opinion.

Last but not least.....(worst of all of the cons IMO) I did not like the scenarios played out in part of the last chapter. Actually, the entire book is completely "overly religious".

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!! Highlight the area below if you have read the book already or have no intention of reading it.

Sorry....Not sure how to do that... :laugh: Not sure what the background color is. I wrote it in white.

In the last chapter, it is described that there is a continuous Holy War going on. Another "Crusade". Shipping Americans over to Africa to "colonize" and root out the Muslims. Just wrong, man. I have a feeling that Rawles does not adhere to ZAP. If he did, then why would he include that in the book?

Mr. Rawles- I know that you are a member here, and may in fact read this post. I just want you to know that I respect you, and what you do, but you need to live and let live. I know that you are not racist, but you are too intolerant of Muslims. Sorry....That's just how I feel.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:49:02 pm by DiabloLoco »

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Re: Review- Founders by JWR
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:57:33 am »

That is what puts me off Rawles, he is waaaaay too religious for me, so much so I haven't gotten his next two "fiction" books. And I enjoyed Patriots, even given what it was.

I think Rawles needs to realize that not all are as religious as he is, and that even most believers know when to back off, otherwise he's limiting himself and the next time he has a book come out, he may not find as many buyers as last time.

S.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:39:09 am by S. Jester »
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein
Pages: [1]   Go Up