The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gold Just Became Money Again  (Read 2721 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Gold Just Became Money Again
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 06:12:00 am »

She does. And so do her flock.

She's the "mouth-piece" of TPTB. She, and her bosses, and the network owners have been bought and paid for. She's just a "dummy" that just sits there on a shelf looking worthless, until somebody "pulls her strings" and makes her do the little dance and sing the little song.

Well, goody for them and her. I never heard of her before. Doesn't mean squat to me.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 06:19:29 am »

She does. And so do her flock.

She's the "mouth-piece" of TPTB. She, and her bosses, and the network owners have been bought and paid for. She's just a "dummy" that just sits there on a shelf looking worthless, until somebody "pulls her strings" and makes her do the little dance and sing the little song.

Well, goody for them and her. I never heard of her before. Doesn't mean squat to me.
I keep forgetting that you don't watch TV. She doesn't have an online presence, but is considered a TV "personality".

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 12:24:32 am »

You folks forget something important.

I nailed it long ago, along with my crew of unofficial think tank boys and girls.  (Read: guys and girls talking ideas over a few cold ones, be it beers of sodas or a few iced tequilas.)

Its so they can tax us in gold, and pay us in paper.  Total theft and enslavement.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Hutch

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 10:39:00 am »

From what I have heard,The U.S.A has only 450 billion in gold @ 1700/oz.

There is around 500 billion in privately held gold.

Even if all was confiscated,gold would still have to be revalued....big time.

Hutch

• Given up.
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »

Are you familiar with Armstrong's writings on the fall of the roman empire + economics of the roman empire?  He's one of the big names who ALSO nailed it the way we did, and linked it to the smashing huge tax rates at the end of the roman empire, and the fact that the government / imperial thugs were paid in gold, the citizenry TAXED in it, and paid in the devalued slugs of various (later not even copper) materials.  People were hunted down and returned to properties they'd abandoned before fleeing to the corners of the empire to get away from taxes.

As I once said to some big "patriot" types, "it is incorrect and STUPID to assume that the barbarians would not have been resisted with force, if resisting with force meant there was anything left to protect in Rome.  By the time the barbs sacked Rome, most of the locals that weren't scumsuckers on the dole would have cheered them for putting Rome and its government to a well merited torch or ten.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 07:58:34 am »

Be careful out there : Fake gold bars turn up in Manhattan  http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19578206/fake-gold-bars-turn-up-in-manhattan
In jewelry stores on 47th Street and Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, the important trust between merchants has been violated.  A 10-ounce gold bar costing nearly $18,000 turned out to be a counterfeit.

The bar was filled with tungsten, which weighs nearly the same as gold but costs just over a dollar an ounce.

Ibrahim Fadl bought the bar from a merchant who has sold him real gold before. But he heard counterfeit gold bars were going around, so he drilled into several of his gold bars worth $100,000 and saw gray tungsten -- not gold.

Ouch - that is about 519 oz of silver down the tubes (minus the "coating" of course)  :thrshocker:
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 09:20:37 am »

fall of the roman empire + economics of the roman empire?

Just read about Diocletian's reforms and then the decline of the empire.   
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

• Given up.
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:32 pm »

fall of the roman empire + economics of the roman empire?

Just read about Diocletian's reforms and then the decline of the empire.

Yeah, its all been done before, just updated for technological advances, but the scams and governmental failures (when viewed by the people) and successes (when viewed by government employees such as history teachers and government worshipers, etc.) are always the same.  Government enriches its peons and glorifies its masters at the expense of the working serfs.  The names change, but serfdom remains the same.  Until people stop worshiping that false god and put to the sword and the torch all the edification of government, all the glories which the members of a truly free and truly responsible society would benefit from, will always be just out of reach, and always just out of reach for the true creators, the inventors, the builders, the thinkers, the doers.  The scammers will continue to dispossess and murder the idea creators and implementors, and either take credit for the ones they can benefit government from, or destroy/shelve the ones that can reduce their power.  The internet, I imagine, has been a tremendous pain in their asses.

Wild Bill

• If I die, then I die free.
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 12:03:12 pm »

Gold has become money again?

Someone needs to tell Helicopter Ben.  According to Darth Bernanke, "gold isn't money".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyTBhsEliUE

From travelling the internet over the past few weeks, I've heard that Putin has bought $500 Billion in gold bullion.  China, apparently, has 500 TONS of gold bullion.  Apparently, they are in collusion with each other to dethrone the dollar as world's reserve currency.  Specifically, Russia is rumored to be trying to roll out a gold-backed Ruble to make their play.

Personally, I don't think the US has any gold at all... or a pot to piss in.  I think Ft. Knox is empty, and has been for decades now.  They just keep up appearances to keep the sheeple believing that yes, we do have gold reserves... last time anyone was allowed into Ft. Knox to see the gold was what?  Back in the early 70's?  A lot has happened since then....
On this lonely road, trying to make it home. Doing it by my lonesome. Pissed off- who wants some?
I'm fighting for my soul, God get at your boy.
You try to Bogart- fall back, I go hard.
On this lonely road, trying to make it home. Doing it by my lonesome. Pissed off- who wants some?
I see them long hard times to come.

-Theme from Justified

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 02:05:58 pm »

Gold has become money again?

Someone needs to tell Helicopter Ben.  According to Darth Bernanke, "gold isn't money".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyTBhsEliUE

From travelling the internet over the past few weeks, I've heard that Putin has bought $500 Billion in gold bullion.  China, apparently, has 500 TONS of gold bullion.  Apparently, they are in collusion with each other to dethrone the dollar as world's reserve currency.  Specifically, Russia is rumored to be trying to roll out a gold-backed Ruble to make their play.

Personally, I don't think the US has any gold at all... or a pot to piss in.  I think Ft. Knox is empty, and has been for decades now.  They just keep up appearances to keep the sheeple believing that yes, we do have gold reserves... last time anyone was allowed into Ft. Knox to see the gold was what?  Back in the early 70's?  A lot has happened since then....

Wild Bill,

They gold may still be there, but the question is 'who owns it?'

Some central banks "leased" (sold) their gold to people who sold it,
invested the money on bonds, and then made money on the difference
in interest rates.

The problem is, that when the price of gold started to go up, there
is no way that the the "leasors" could replace the gold, as the price
change wiped out all of the profit they ever made.

The question then is - did the central bank allow the leasor remove
the physical gold, or was it just a paperwork entry?

If the gold is out of the vault, it's gone and cannot be replaced under
the original agreement. If it's in the vault and sold through a paper
transfer, then someone is going to get burned, and when push comes
to shove, it won't be the central bank.

Did our Treasury pull this kind of nonsense, and if so,
which path did they take?

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Wild Bill

• If I die, then I die free.
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 03:35:25 pm »

Wild Bill,

They gold may still be there, but the question is 'who owns it?'

Some central banks "leased" (sold) their gold to people who sold it,
invested the money on bonds, and then made money on the difference
in interest rates.

The problem is, that when the price of gold started to go up, there
is no way that the the "leasors" could replace the gold, as the price
change wiped out all of the profit they ever made.

The question then is - did the central bank allow the leasor remove
the physical gold, or was it just a paperwork entry?

If the gold is out of the vault, it's gone and cannot be replaced under
the original agreement. If it's in the vault and sold through a paper
transfer, then someone is going to get burned, and when push comes
to shove, it won't be the central bank.

Did our Treasury pull this kind of nonsense, and if so,
which path did they take?

Bear

Good question.  I'm afraid I do not have an answer for you... I can only speculate.

IMVHO, if (big if) that gold is still there, it was leveraged for loans long ago.  In order to pay it's bills, the Government has resorted to putting land up as collateral for loans.  At least, this is my suspicion, partially confirmed by my libertarian friend in finance, but I haven't seen anything concrete on that to date.  The real problems will start when the bills come due and whoever owns our debt will try to collect on it... what happens then?  Invasion?  Ceeding territory to other nations?  I have no idea... it will be as if we sailed off an old timey map into the area where it says: Here There Be Monsters.  There is just no precedent for a situation like this in all of history.

The Government is broke.  Period.  Somewhere in here, I posted a video from Peter Schiff on what is to come... his opinion is that the Fed has pushed off an economic collapse by going with Infinite QE.  But for how long, nobody knows exactly, and Peter isn't willing to say.  He does opine that the chances are slim it will happen in 2 months, but he thinks that whoever gets to be President next term will have to deal with it.

That gives me a rough timeline:  Anywhere from 2 months to 2 years.... 4 years at the outside.

For me, that's actually good news, even though it means that the crash, when it comes, will be worse for what the Fed has done.  It gives us more time to get prepped, amass ammo, food, meds, silver, supplies, livestock, etc... I'll be honest with y'all... if TSHTF tomorrow, we'd be hurtin'.  Bad.  We're short on a lot of stuff, especially food and meds. 

In all honesty, I give a rat's ass about gold...  You can't eat it, shoot it or plant it.  People around here literally don't have the money to make "change" for gold, so I don't bother buying or owning any.  The metals I'm really concerned about are silver and lead= you get enough silver and lead together, and you can live.
I'm fighting for my soul, God get at your boy.
You try to Bogart- fall back, I go hard.
I see them long hard times to come.

-Theme from Justified

hangman

• Senator, +Lampost, +Rope. Some assembly required
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 02:20:14 pm »

The Government is broke.  Period.

Not really. Watch this from Walter Burien;
Walter Burien - CAFR1 on Coast to Cast with George Noory - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdq3JO7oVY4
Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils.

"Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government — and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. — EDWARD ABBEY

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 04:19:13 pm »

"whoever gets to be President next term will have to deal with it."

Must be why they are both trying so darn hard to LOSE. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

• Given up.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:19 am »

"whoever gets to be President next term will have to deal with it."

Must be why they are both trying so darn hard to LOSE. :)

No, dear, you just have to step back and realize that I said it right: "there will come a time when it will be hard to keep up the trends of fielding a candidate slightly worse than the other guy, and when there is no longer any *lesser of two evils* because the evil parties are scraping the bottoms of their barrels to try to bleed more juice from a dessicated turnip."

Or something to that effect.  :D

Mr. Bill

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »

FerFAL had an interesting post recently on the "gold is money" issue and how it is interpreted by the authorities in his former home of Argentina:

Gold Sale Banned in Argentina

The Argentine government has banned the saving in foreign currency some time ago. Like in Venezuela, if you are authorized to buy foreign currency because you’re traveling abroad it will only be authorized right before the flight and only minimum amounts...

Remember those debates about gold being a currency or not? Well, that debate is settled for the Argentine government: Yes, it is a currency. No, you cannot buy it unless you travel to a country that uses it. You may be wondering “But no country uses gold as currency….” Ok, so you cant buy it then. Genius. ...

A commenter adds the following:

I live in Argentina. It’s not that you can’t buy gold, you cannot buy more than 100 grs [3.2 Troy oz] per day, per person, and you have to demonstrate the source of the fiat you are using to buy it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up