The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brothers in Arms: Commensal Bacteria Help Fight Viruses  (Read 1015 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Brothers in Arms: Commensal Bacteria Help Fight Viruses
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:11:23 pm »

Might want to think a little more before you take any more antibiotics, or use any more antimicrobial cleaning products.  I don't use either, and I don't get sick... ever. I used to have allergies, and now I don't. Might be a connection.

Brothers in Arms: Commensal Bacteria Help Fight Viruses
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120618153433.htm
ScienceDaily (June 18, 2012) Healthy humans harbor an enormous and diverse group of bacteria and other bugs that live within their intestines. These microbial partners provide beneficial aid in multiple ways -- from helping digest food to the development of a healthy immune system. In a new study published online in the journal Immunity, David Artis, PhD, associate professor of Microbiology, and Michael Abt, PhD, a postdoctoral researcher in the Artis lab, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, show that commensal bacteria are also essential to fight off viral infections.

Antibacterials in Personal-Care Products Linked to Allergy Risk in Children
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120619092933.htm
ScienceDaily (June 19, 2012) Exposure to common antibacterial chemicals and preservatives found in soap, toothpaste, mouthwash and other personal-care products may make children more prone to a wide range of food and environmental allergies, according to new research from Johns Hopkins Children's Center.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

DiabloLoco

Re: Brothers in Arms: Commensal Bacteria Help Fight Viruses
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:42:05 pm »

I always thought that it was so funny that the people that are worried about germs and cleanliness are the ones that get sick more often.  :laugh: That's why I have never in my life gotten a flu shot. I would rather GET the flu. That way, when it comes around again, my body will have defenses built up to deal with it. Having germs and dirtiness around you (in reasonable amounts) actually keeps you healthy. You just can't explain that to the germophobes though.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:45:05 pm by DiabloLoco »

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:58:30 am »

The old wives tale is that a child needs to eat a pound of dirt a year to survive - or something like that. If this is true, my two sons should live forever - unless they fall off a tall building or something. They ate more dirt than earthworms when they were little. :)

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:40:29 am »

There are many ways to get good germs in you, Fresh Sour Kraut, and Kefir, are just two.
Got culture?
http://www.perfectpickler.com/
http://kefirlady.com/

Cheap, easy, tasty, healthy, whats not to like?
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 05:55:53 am »

There are many ways to get good germs in you, Fresh Sour Kraut, and Kefir, are just two.

The point is that those are not the only friendly bacteria. Unfortunately, I detest those things and won't eat them. I make and eat a lot of yogurt, but that's it. No problem though, really, because I have one of the strongest immune systems you could imagine. I'm never sick.

The friendly bacteria are all around us, and on every surface. If we don't go out of our way to destroy them we'll do fine. :) And then THEY will help protect us from the bad germs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up